Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link from a member of the Saturn Sky forum.
It's part 1 of a future 4 part series on building up the Ecotec
and installing a supercharger making 300 HP. Basically, the mods listed so far require replacing the cast aluminum pistons with forged, new higher lift cams and stiffer valve springs to handle them, higher flow injectors and alts to the
eng mgmnt computer. Stock rods and rings can handle the power easilly,
according to the GM article.
GM article on how to build 300HP Ecotec

Here's the listing, from member Rik :

This is part one in a four part article. Even though this motor is using a supercharger the basic motor mods will translate over to a turbo motor.
(Be aware that the translation is problematical, as it involves changes to
the engine management, injectors, etc)

http://www.gmperformancedivision.com/content/pulse/23/ecotec.pdf

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that the engine being modified is the 2.0 ecotec
found as turbocharged in the Redline, Cobalt SS. I don't know whether the
crankshaft is the same as the 2.4, or the bore (pistons) or even the
connecting rods. I also don't know if the block has been modified, etc.
Does anyone know the differences between the 2.0 SC ecotec
and the 2.4 ecotec?
If the Supercharged 2.0 described in the article is to be offered in the Saturn Sky Redline (currently an unknown), then this article is very relevant
to a build up - assuming the supercharger is the same (which I think is true, since the article didn't mention that a larger one was required).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A couple of things about the article surprised me.

1) They actually advise going to pistons that will INCREASE the CR to go to a blown motor? I'll have to read it again, maybe they're starting out with the 2.0L S/C motor already. If they're adding an S/C to an N/A motor, it doesn't make sense to me to increase the CR.

2) They're re-using the rings? That seems to me like unnecessary penny-pinching. I thought you would want to re-ring and hone the cylinder walls to make sure all the parts wear in together.

As much as these two items strike me as odd, I don't profess to know more about engine building than these guys...

Some of this knowledge will be applicable to our cars, but alot of it will be different. Generally speaking, when you go to forced induction, you'll want to change the cams. Not necessarily to change the lift and/or duration profiles of the lobes, but to alter the overlap. However, it seems to me that we can take advantage of VVT and the fact that we have 1 cam for intake valves, and another for exhaust valves to change the overlap "on the fly". Also note that the supercharger's intake orientated toward the rear of the engine in the first picture. That is because the engine is for a FWD application. We'll have to use a different S/C housing.

Good read, though. Thanks for the link. I look forward to the next installment. :lurk:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
From Mr. Mom:

Jack Butler: I'm going to rewire the whole kitchen.
Ron Richardson: Yeah? Are you gonna make it all 220?
Jack Butler: Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts