Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding good info on the GM Performance Exhaust Part #17802058. Basically, it looks like it is 2.5" piping the whole way back with a free flowing fiberglass muffler.

Does anyone have this installed on their vehicle?

Is this going to be free flowing enough to work with a Hahn Stage III turbo kit?

I do not care about how it looks or sounds, I just want it to allow me to get the full use of my turbo kit!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't care what you would do. I am asking whether or not this will work.

They sell it on the Werks website, so I assume it is a decent exhaust system. I am fully aware of the Solo and Magnaflow systems, though I do not know of them having 3" pipes as you falsely claim.

Please don't waste my time with useless replies!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Quite a rude response to someone trying to give you advice - I doubt you'll get much more response with an attitude like that.

Your assumption that just because it appears on the Werks site it must be a good system is what all advertising men would like to hear, but in reality, vendors put things on their websites primarily because they sell, and if they also happen to work that's nice but not necessary. There are all sorts of products (like exhausts that give you zero additional power on untuned LNF engines) that are all appearance (or noise) and no power.

The Magnaflow does not have a 3" all the way through - it necks down at the joint at the CAT. If you buy a Solo system that includes a high flow CAT, you will get a system that doesn't neck down from 3". Do your own homework on whether you think that makes a difference. Or talk to Hahn.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
With your attitude you will get little help

The GM exhaust is not very good. You must heve missed the threads that said it was a Borla that has been out of production for years and offered no performance benefits.

The Solo offers a true 3 inch pipe which when used in conjunction with their well proven high flow cat has provided 16 to 18 hp improvement on a tuned car.

The GMPP tune works well but is considerably more expensive than other after market tunes that have proven to be very reliable and may actually provide better power.

Personally I would be amazed if you ever get another response on this forum due to your bad manners.

Best of luck

May the force be with you

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Quite a rude response to someone trying to give you advice - I doubt you'll get much more response with an attitude like that.

Your assumption that just because it appears on the Werks site it must be a good system is what all advertising men would like to hear, but in reality, vendors put things on their websites primarily because they sell, and if they also happen to work that's nice but not necessary. There are all sorts of products (like exhausts that give you zero additional power on untuned LNF engines) that are all appearance (or noise) and no power.

The Magnaflow does not have a 3" all the way through - it necks down at the joint at the CAT. If you buy a Solo system that includes a high flow CAT, you will get a system that doesn't neck down from 3". Do your own homework on whether you think that makes a difference. Or talk to Hahn.
Do you believe the balls on this guy? Walks in off the street, does no research. Asks a pretty dumb question and disses a member who offers good advice???

Can't wait for the response

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you believe the balls on this guy? Walks in off the street, does no research. Asks a pretty dumb question and disses a member who offers good advice???

Can't wait for the response
Dumb question? Really? Please explain.

I was not being rude. I simply reiterated my intent.

I have done plenty of research. I was not asking for opinions on other options. I was asking whether this system will work with my setup.

I did search here. I was not able to find past threads that had much of anything useful to say about it.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
The GM performance exhaust was designed and engineered to work w/GM products, not aftermarket products.

The only way to get an answer would be if someone installed a Stage 3 Hahn system and then dyno tested each exhaust system with the Hahn Stage 3. Then published the numbers and graphs to support or verify which system worked the best. As far as I know no one has ever done that.

In fact, regardless of what aspect of performance that's trying to be improved (handling or HP & TQ), performance claims are more the seat-of-the-pants feedback around here, than showing the results of performance measuring instruments to back up the claims.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Will I will reply with kindness. As for a clear answer, yes it will work. As for not getting the most from your turbo yes do use a 2.5. I think it would not be the best route considering the cost of a Stage 3. Realize that a 3" exhaust is 7.06 square inches of area versus 4.88 for a 2.5" exhaust. So just from the math it is 44% bigger so it will flow much better. Hope this helps & glad to be of any service! PS: I am not a dumb blonde I hold Eng degrees in ME & MS in AE.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts

They sell it on the Werks website, so I assume it is a decent exhaust system. I am fully aware of the Solo and Magnaflow systems, though I do not know of them having 3" pipes as you falsely claim.

Please don't waste my time with useless replies!
I have the system you are inquiring about on my car GM Performance exhaust and a Hann Turbo Kit . I have to be honest with you your crude remark to one of the forum members who has gone out of her way to help people has totally turned me off the forum is NO PLACE FOR THIS ! Good luck trying to find someone to give you any information with that attitude . A useless reply !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Also I installed a Hahn Stage 2 on mine with the 3" Magnaflow & like it. Blueberry coupe has a 3" Solo. If you search the posts I think you will find all you need. Also check the Sky forum. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will I will reply with kindness. As for a clear answer, yes it will work. As for not getting the most from your turbo yes do use a 2.5. I think it would not be the best route considering the cost of a Stage 3. Realize that a 3" exhaust is 7.06 square inches of area versus 4.88 for a 2.5" exhaust. So just from the math it is 44% bigger so it will flow much better. Hope this helps & glad to be of any service! PS: I am not a dumb blonde I hold Eng degrees in ME & MS in AE.
I understand completely the area difference between the two sizes of pipe. However, there is no 3" option for the 2.4L without converting to a dual system, which is several hundred dollars more expensive.

I was not looking for a debate on which system may be better and was trying to avoid this thread heading down that path. I wanted a simple discussion on that particular product and it's correlation to a turbo charged engine.

I apologize if people took that as being rude. I ended up contacting Hahn and getting an answer there. Just didn't want to have to bug him and was hoping members here may have experience with a similar setup!

I will be sure to never ask a "dumb" question on this forum again. Thank you all for the assistance!

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts

Please don't waste my time with useless replies![\b]

HydraLyfe,

As a new member (join date 4/3/15) comments you've made on this thread will not encourage others to help you in the future.

You may not have meant to come across so brash, but you did. Several who responded to your inquiry may not have fully read your original post and simply offered up suggestions. Also, please remember that there are women gear heads on this forum who do know how to 'turn a wrench'.

In the future, please try to be more kind....even when you may feel the response was a waste of your time.

TY

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I meant no harm by what was said. I had no idea she was female, though I don't think it matters.

My intent was to keep the thread on topic. I saw that first reply as heading in a direction which I did not want/need. I did countless hours of research into ALL of the exhaust options for this vehicle over the last few weeks and this option was the only one that I couldn't find a whole lot about.

I had hoped there may be people here that owned that particular exhaust system and might like to help. I can now see that this is not at all a helpful place. I was immediately attacked and even your own moderator called my question "dumb". If this is acceptable behavior on this forum, I will do all of my future posting at Kappa Performance and Sky Roadster.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Hydra, the forum likes new members, in fact we would like every owner of the Kappa platform to become a member of this forum. It's not just the old members who keep this forum going, but new members, because new members present new perspectives and experiences which help add to the forum knowledge base.

So welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you want, there are many intelligent people on this forum, and many people here have a lot of experience in troubleshooting the various Kappa platform issues. And others just trying to be helpful as they know how to be. The forum may not always be able to answer all questions to someone satisfaction, but the majority of people do try. Your job is to listen to all suggestion, and then try and decide which answer makes the most sense to you. And then report back to let the forum know how you fixed a particular issue.

If you stick around here long enough you'll be surprised (and frustrated) by the amount of people who just join the forum and ask a repair question, receive suggestions on what it could be, and then never take the time to respond back to let anyone know if the suggestion worked or not.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a dumb question, but unfortunately there is such a thing as a dumb answers. :brentil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts