Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
No, the Canadian site is just showing the specs for the concept that was shown back in 2002.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, it's the concepts specifications. If you look up the VX Lightning concept it still refers to using a 240hp SuperCharged L850 engine as well. Hopefully we'll see this engine eventually. But I'm not guessing so in year one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
simmonsmb said:
No, the Canadian site is just showing the specs for the concept that was shown back in 2002.
:agree Looks like GM of Canada needs to update their website with information for the production car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are probably right.

Unfortunately, you are probably right, the Canadian site might be out of date. Hopefully GM will surprise us and prove the cdn site right (although I wouldn't bet any money on that).

Thanks for the replies.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I went over the Canadian site a little more and find it interesting that they list the Solstice as a "Concept" and have information regarding the 2002 Detroit Concept vehicle, and not the 2006 Production Prototype that was at the 2004 Detroit show.

They do have a section for "Future Vehicles" and do not list the Solstice there. They do have the G6, and the Wave (looks like an Aveo clone).

Has GM not announced any plans for selling the Solstice in Canada? If they had, I would expect them to have information on the production prototype on their site.

PS, welcome to the forum Luc!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fformula88 said:
I went over the Canadian site a little more and find it interesting that they list the Solstice as a "Concept" and have information regarding the 2002 Detroit Concept vehicle, and not the 2006 Production Prototype that was at the 2004 Detroit show.

They do have a section for "Future Vehicles" and do not list the Solstice there. They do have the G6, and the Wave (looks like an Aveo clone).

Has GM not announced any plans for selling the Solstice in Canada? If they had, I would expect them to have information on the production prototype on their site.

PS, welcome to the forum Luc!
Yes, GM has announced that they will sell the Solstice in Canada for about $25,000 CDN (this is actually a bit cheaper than in the US).

I'm glad that GM didn't do what Toyota did with the new MR2. It isn't sold in Canada and we can't buy one in the US and bring it in Canada as they are illegal to own. The seatbelt anchors don't meet CDN government regulations.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
At least they are going to sell it up there. GM now needs to get in there and update their Pontiac of Canada website!

The MR2 seatbelt anchors are illegal in canada? :crazy Do you know why? They cannot be that bad to pass US DOT regs, and are probably just parts bin items anyway. Thats just crazy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fformula88 said:
At least they are going to sell it up there. GM now needs to get in there and update their Pontiac of Canada website!

The MR2 seatbelt anchors are illegal in canada? :crazy Do you know why? They cannot be that bad to pass US DOT regs, and are probably just parts bin items anyway. Thats just crazy!
I think it is the actual location where they are attached on the frame. The Canadian Ministry of Transportation guidelines might not be better or worst than US DOT ones, just a bit different.

I remember a few other differences such as day-time running lights on all vehicles from 1990 on and a 3rd brake light (before the US implemented it). I also also remember some US cars whose seatbelt moved on the door (along the window). Manufacturers had to change them to sell them in Canada as all 3 anchor points must be on the frame of the car and not on a moving part. I don't remember if the MR2 had this feature.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The seatbelts on the door were a bad idea anyway, and the motorized ones that moved forward by themselves when you opened the door were cool until they stopped working. I owned a 1991 Ford Probe with the motorized belts. They traveled along the roof, not the door. But they were a disaster overall, although I never had a problem. The motors would burn out, the tracks would wear out, and then they would no longer retract leaving drivers unprotected. GM had a lot of cars with belts attached to the door. That was ok as long as the door did not open in a crash, taking the belt with it! Another idea that was not the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts