Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup, my fellow Sol'legues, So today i went by my GM dealership and ask what was available right now for the Solstice as far as performance go. He Searched through his GM Performance catalogue and found a Exhaust pkg parts#17802058 Cost me $625 and a GM aftermarket air box, parts#17800764 Cost me $378(cool air intake). Well if you get GM to install your parts, i was told the 3 year warranty is still honored by GM. My parts arrives tomorrow. I will be happy to post pics and give you the update on the performance of my Sol.

My Sol is sick! 1928 :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Sure! Definitely keep up informed. I don't think anyone has posted pics/impressions of the GMPP intake yet. The exhaust seems to be high-quality from what I've seen here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
You HAVE to take pics of the Air Box, because no one knows what it looks like at all and I'm extremely interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts
brentil said:
You HAVE to take pics of the Air Box, because no one knows what it looks like at all and I'm extremely interested.
And some audio to let us know what it sounds like without the intake baffles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
But they can cover the airbox & exhaust under warranty... which they won't do on a custom job.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
And if the aftermarket intake filter falls apart because it's defective and gets sucked into your engine exploding the entire thing in a fireball, guess what, warranty voided due to the aftermarket part causing the issue. If the GM filter does the same thing, GM fixes everything.

I'm not saying don't go aftermarket, because I will for some things too, but the "doesn't void your warranty" card goes both ways. The warranty is a very important item for a lot of people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
brentil said:
And if the aftermarket intake filter falls apart because it's defective and gets sucked into your engine exploding the entire thing in a fireball, guess what, warranty voided due to the aftermarket part causing the issue. If the GM filter does the same thing, GM fixes everything.

I'm not saying don't go aftermarket, because I will for some things too, but the "doesn't void your warranty" card goes both ways. The warranty is a very important item for a lot of people.

YUP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
JT72 said:
Sup, my fellow Sol'legues, So today i went by my GM dealership and ask what was available right now for the Solstice as far as performance go. He Searched through his GM Performance catalogue and found a Exhaust pkg parts#17802058 Cost me $625 and a GM aftermarket air box, parts#17800764 Cost me $378(cool air intake). Well if you get GM to install your parts, i was told the 3 year warranty is still honored by GM. My parts arrives tomorrow. I will be happy to post pics and give you the update on the performance of my Sol.

My Sol is sick! 1928 :thumbs:

That is one sharp car! Great wheels...please let us know where you picked them up and provide us plenty of pics and video of the air intake and exhaust...I have that on my list of things to do while my car is in for the winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Airbox and exhaust pic

All right Sol'legues, here some pics The Sol #1928. The exhaust is not too attractive but we can considerate having the Sleeper look. My wheels where purchased from a place called Econline, located in Aneheim, Ca. $1100 for rims only. They talked me into keepin my factory tires to save money and they said the tires are really good.







Click here to watch Movie1453
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I think i'm gonna pass on the GM performance parts. They dont look as good as the Kappashere parts. Just my 2 cents
Is there any differance in power? or a better sound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually yes, the clip does it no justice at all but underload, it sound powerful and low. As for everything else, yeah i went with GM part because of the warranty. I went to a car club tonight and everyone was impress thinking it was a powerful 6 or an 8, that was the popular question. I don't think i've could of purchased a better exhaust, :cheers: very happy with it. As for performance, the midrange is well awake at 3 1/2 to 4000rpm. But to each is own. I'm a happy camper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
But they can cover the airbox & exhaust under warranty... which they won't do on a custom job.
Any good exhaust shop will cover their work. As for the filter, K&N's have the best warranty. And seriously, how often does a filter fall apart? So I still see no advantage to buying GM parts. They have always raped consumers on their prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,465 Posts
Not to rain on our supporting dealers, however if you are looking at a single exhaust system, the GM setup gives you a whole new pipe from the Cat converter, then the new muffler tip etc. The KappaSphere as well as the one from StainlessWorks is just the muffler and tip, this has to be installed by cutting into the existing pipe to install.
I am waiting for dual outlets so I will not go GM, but you need to have all the information before you say NO to GM.
Yes our supporting dealers are less expensive starting at $399.00 but.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Not to rain on our supporting dealers, however if you are looking at a single exhaust system, the GM setup gives you a whole new pipe from the Cat converter, then the new muffler tip etc. The KappaSphere as well as the one from StainlessWorks is just the muffler and tip, this has to be installed by cutting into the existing pipe to install.
I am waiting for dual outlets so I will not go GM, but you need to have all the information before you say NO to GM.
Yes our supporting dealers are less expensive starting at $399.00 but.......
Or $150 at your local muffler shop.

The Intake from GM looks very nice though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
JT72 said:
All right Sol'legues, here some pics The Sol #1928. The exhaust is not too attractive but we can considerate having the Sleeper look. My wheels where purchased from a place called Econline, located in Aneheim, Ca. $1100 for rims only. They talked me into keepin my factory tires to save money and they said the tires are really good.
I'm very impressed by the GM Performance Intake. I was not expecting them to actually make something like that, open element and all.

Now you gotta go get a dyno graph of it so we can see how it compares to some of the other we've seen. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, a buddy of mine warned me about one of the K&N filters. One of the particular filters has a silver cap on the tip the cone, it managed to come off and got sucked into the throttle body of his Accord locking the throttle in a wide open position causin the car to bang off the rev limiter. he had to shut the car down to avoid any other damage. So maybe sometime spending more is better. Money is not a big deal for some people so i rather just play it safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
JT,

Don't take this the wrong way, I think your car looks unbelievable, but I would consider lowering springs on your car, more along the lines of the Mallet conversion, I think they went down 2". Your car would really be awesome with that. If you do it, I want pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
S'up wannasolstice2,
Yeah i've been debating from day 1. The guy that i've purchased my wheels from talked me out of it then i told myself to maybe install a 1"inch kit. Trust me, i think of it daily. I'm pretty tall like at 6'4 and the car already feels pretty Low. One day i may consider. Thanks for the compl. I really wish you guys can hear my exhaust inperson, it sound SICK (Fantastic), incase some of you are to old to understand sick in a different term.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top