Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
bu-what??? How does this value compare to other cars, this sounds kinda low to me in the grand scheme of car R&D.
GM has invested $50 million in the Kappa platform, which is designed to build niche, rear-wheel-drive vehicles.
If that's true, they only needs to sell 2500 Solsti to make $50,000,000 (that of course doesn't count whatever costs will be associated with actually producing them; materials, average wage of $26/hour, advertising, etc). Selling 20,000 Kappas at $20,000 each is $400 million dollars. If they wanted to recoupe just the money put into the project with no profit GM would have to make $2,500 on top of whatever it actually cost (materials, wages, advertising, etc) to make a Kappa car that sells for $20,000 to make the $50 million back.

Also interesting.
Production for the Solstice and Sky is estimated at about 20,000 a year each. The plant, however, is capable of producing nearly 250,000 vehicles a year.
Those are values based off of L-Series production previously. As people have said though since the Kappa differs greatly frame wise from the L-Series it takes longer to make one. 20,000 is only 8% of the previous 250,000 a year production level. Who knows how many Opel Kappas they plan to make though.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This might explain the change from fall to summer release of the Solstice.
The assembly plant's line has been shut down since early summer after GM stopped production of the Saturn L-series ahead of schedule because of lackluster sales.
Is this saying that there may be five or six Kappas in the coming years? Do they make another platform there as well?
Analysts expect production of the Opel to be similar to or slightly lower than the Solstice and Sky, which had its debut earlier this month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Production for the Solstice and Sky is estimated at about 20,000 a year each. The plant, however, is capable of producing nearly 250,000 vehicles a year.
Analysts and state officials said the Opel is one of an estimated five or six vehicles that are expected to be built in Newport in the coming years as the plant beefs up production.
Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., who recently spoke with Rick Wagoner, GM's chairman and chief executive, said the automaker's decision to bring the Opel to Newport shows the company's confidence in the Delaware work force. That means there is a strong possibility more vehicles will be added in the next couple of years, Carper said.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Oh wow, I skimmed over that part of the story and didn't catch the part about 5-6 other vehicles coming from this plant.

That might be other exports too. GM might be trying to branch the Kappa into other countries too. But if it's not exports I wonder what the other vehicles would be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's too bad the Opel won't be available here as I really do like the rear of that car more than the Sky. I just wonder if the body parts might be interchangable?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
That might be other exports too. GM might be trying to branch the Kappa into other countries too. But if it's not exports I wonder what the other vehicles would be.
I'd expect Vauxhall (UK) to be one of the imports. If they also get a Sky-clone then we'll have 3 Sky siblings (2 in Europe). That would be cool.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The plant, however, is capable of producing nearly 250,000 vehicles a year
Analysts and state officials said the Opel is one of an estimated five or six vehicles that are expected to be built in Newport in the coming years as the plant beefs up production.
Now where is the person who was telling us the plant could not build more than 20,000 cars a year? :rolleyes

I wonder how many of those other vehicles to be added within a couple years will be stretched Kappa vehicles, allowing a back seat!

GM has invested $50 million in the Kappa platform, which is designed to build niche, rear-wheel-drive vehicles.
Don't get too carried away over this figure. I have a feeling they are reffering to GM's investment in the Deleware plant to produce the Kappa, and not the car's actual development cost. The average cost to develop a new car platform these days is about a billion dollars! 25 years ago the Fiero was designed and engineered on a shoestring budget of $250 million. The kappa overall cost many times the figure they quoted. Its got to be plant investment.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Don't get too carried away over this figure. I have a feeling they are reffering to GM's investment in the Deleware plant to produce the Kappa, and not the car's actual development cost. The average cost to develop a new car platform these days is about a billion dollars! 25 years ago the Fiero was designed and engineered on a shoestring budget of $250 million. The kappa overall cost many times the figure they quoted. Its got to be plant investment.
Ahhh, ok yeah that's probably true.

I think the only reason the plant would be really limited to 20,000 would be because that's the limit of the equipment currently in the plant right now. Between now and Sky/Opel arrival there will more then likely be more equipment installed to handle more production.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Maybe if we all say it together Nomad..... Nomad.....Nomad
You beat me to it!! I was going to plug the Nomad too. Oh well, I'll say it together with you! Nomad! Nomad! Nomad! :willy: :thumbs :cool :cheers

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'll join you, but have to say:

"NO - Nomad !!!, NO - Nomad !!!, NO - Nomad !!!"

the thing really didn't float my boat...

I still think the Deleware plant, with niche cars, will still be able to only support about a max of 80K-100K volume. Unless the setup is re-done to rely on suppliers to supply pre-assembled parts (like a whole drivetrain and they get it and "plug-n-play"), essentially no sub-assembly lines...

...but what do I know?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't implying they'd be able to hit 250,000 on the Kappa cars. Just that they could definetely do more then 20,000 for sure though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Now where is the person who was telling us the plant could not build more than 20,000 cars a year?

I have a feeling they are reffering to GM's investment in the Deleware plant to produce the Kappa, and not the car's actual development cost.
Trust me, there is NO WAY the plant could make 250,000 Soltice/Skys per year without substantial additional investment.

And, yes, the $50 million is plant investment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Michael said:
It's too bad the Opel won't be available here as I really do like the rear of that car more than the Sky. I just wonder if the body parts might be interchangable?
Unless you have an Opel dealer in your area, I don't think you'd be able to get the parts.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
bigd said:
Unless you have an Opel dealer in your area, I don't think you'd be able to get the parts.
Opel is primarily German, and some other surrounding Euro areas right now. They haven't sold into the USA in a while now I believe. Someone else mentioned or it was in an article that the Opel Kappa will be a Euro only car as well.

It's kinda retarded since the car will be made in the USA, but you can probably get in touch with someone in Germany or Euro area and get panels imported to the USA from there. I know a lot fo people who do it all the time for Porsche parts. Australia is a great place for parts too a lot of times for those cars amasingly.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
bigd said:
Trust me, there is NO WAY the plant could make 250,000 Soltice/Skys per year without substantial additional investment.

And, yes, the $50 million is plant investment.
I agree that the figure sounds a little high, but I have seen figures over 100K in different sources. So they do believe they have capacity for vehicles beyond these three. If they did 20K each and had 5-6 vehicles, that would put them at about the 100K unit mark.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Ahhh, ok yeah that's probably true.

I think the only reason the plant would be really limited to 20,000 would be because that's the limit of the equipment currently in the plant right now. Between now and Sky/Opel arrival there will more then likely be more equipment installed to handle more production.
The 20K unit figure is a limitation in the body panel manufacturing process. As I saw it explained, it takes a lot longer to hydroform a body panel than to stamp one. Therefore, they would not be able to manufacture over 20K sets (plus collision parts) in any one year for any one body design. It is conceivable they could do 40K units by doubling the number of dies, but they would have to double sales to that figure to make it feasable. That is where the Sky comes in. Another set of dies. Another 20K body panels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I agree that the figure sounds a little high, but I have seen figures over 100K in different sources. So they do believe they have capacity for vehicles beyond these three. If they did 20K each and had 5-6 vehicles, that would put them at about the 100K unit mark.
I more or less agree with your reasoning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Make the Nomad and maybe a 4 door Kappa hatch and sedan.

Make them as edgy looking as the Sky and Solstice.

Make VW with its front wheel drive poseur Golf/Jetta squirm.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts