Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 SOLSTICE XSR - What do you think?!?

We're proposing the 2006 Pontiac Solstice XSR (Xtreme Sport Roadster) to GM. It will feature a stage II intercooled turbocharger, Asanti forged aluminum wheels, Bridgestone RE050 UHP tires.

We're submitting this proposal soon - but would like to get your feedback in advance. Here's the concept - tell us what you think.

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback - we look forward to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Have you cleared this post through the site owner, or a moderator?

My feedback: Not my style.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just 2 pointers.

1. Purple is not something anyone wants on their solstice, nor is it an "Xtreem" colour.

2. Change out the grills for something more Xtreem. Maybe chrome inlays or something.

All in all the performance upgrades are very nice.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Since this sounds like an advertising you may want to check with Troy Roberts the owner of the Forum site.

My Feedback, take the flames out and give me the choice of exterior and interior color, or the stock exterior and interior.
Price it below 30K and I am there, it may also be a good idea to do it for the Saturn SKY also.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wow!! I like it! Great show car. Understand it's purpose is to catch your attention. Definitely lives up to the "Xtreme Sport Roadster" name! Although I don't see myself driving a car with a paint job like that, it is great to look at. But as SlipSlider said, how about either a chrome grill or the other direction, a gloss black painted grill like what you did to the windshield surround. Or even some other grill completely, like what's done on trucks.

As far as the things your marketing, they all look (or sound) like definite saleable items.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the paint job nor the wheels. A little too Honda Civic cum Fast and the Furious. I think the body of this car is best seen in solid colors, but a paint that looks much different in shadow versus light might give the car a very aggressive feel.

I'm curious to see the specs for the turbo and engine modifications (I'm assuming a lowered compression ratio). Also, I'm not real big on dual exhaust outlets on a car with a single cylinder bank--just adds unneccessary weight in my opinion. There are plenty of performance cars with single exhaust outlets.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
For now, let's just let MBRP see what kind of interest is generated, and also whether they want to become a supporting vendor.

Troy is a bit busy right now.

MBRP - we've temporarily removed your contact info, but you are welcome to see what interest there is in your proposal. If you want to solicit sales in the future, you'll have to become a supporting vendor. Details for how to do so are handled through the Site Owner/Administrator, contact him by sending a private message to "Troy Roberts".

thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I defintely like the red/black seats. I'd love to get some of those in my black/black/black Solstice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with everyone else, the paint is too ricey. For the first time in about 35 years (except for the 94-96 impalas), GM has hit the mark big time with a car's styling. Flame jobs, body kits, and even hood scoops will only distract from the clean lines. Save those for cars that have no personality of their own [cough]GTO[/cough]. Go for a paint job that enhances the car's lines instead of covering them up.

Don't really like the wheels, either - they fit the paint job more than they do the car.

Is the dual exit one on each side of the car, or is it a twin tip? Might be interesting to use the vertical twin tip that was on the concept car.

The roll bars are too thick in my opinion. I'd also go for a brushed finish instead of polished. Maybe do a matching brushed stainless insert for the waterfall?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Performance enhancements seem great and many seem interested in that.

Adding the chrome roll bars I feel takes away from the car, you start looking
like a TT. A solstice wants to have a different look to make it unique.

The way you have done this car up certainly will appeal to a younger crowd.

But if you look at who is buying the solstice it really seems to be 35 to 50
year olds for the most part (mid life crisis).

Just playing :devil: advocate.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I like the roll protection bars. Assuming they are functional, not just show. Hope there is structure where you've placed them.

Paint - not my bag, baby. But hey, whatever floats the boat.

If you've gone any bigger than 18" wheels, I'm out - I think the 18" are too big already.

If you keep the 18", but drop the height and tire size to a lower aspect, lose the chrome (adds too much weight - 1-2 lbs per wheel, yuck) and go for lightweight wheels, and a brake upsize kit with brake ducts.... NOW we're talking!!!

Combine that with the proposed engine mods and you've got a real monster that is more than bling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am with LatinVenom, too!

Keep the performance stuff, and let us get it with standard red and tan leather interior . . . oh yeah, keep the rollbars, too! :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't really like anything about it except the dual exhaust, and that's just for looks not performance. Way too much guady bling. Come on, couldn't you get bigger wheels than that in there? The roll bars do make me think of Audi TT, and that's not a good thing. However if they are funcional and not just "style bars", there will be people wanting them, just not me.

Think more classic european roadster, and way less glitzy american hot rod. I would be very intersted in replacement grills and rear valance if you go that way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think you are asking the wrong folks...SEMA is more flashy and you need Bling Bling to get someone to even glance at your product(s).

I think you've achieved that. But the paint does not complement the car's lines...which IMHO are spectacular! Maybe ghost some of those flames.

The wheels are fine for SEMA...but I think we would like 19"s that weigh less than the factory 18"s. Magnesium, like the Vette? The conept car stance w/ 19" front/20" back was amazing. We lose something going to production...at least GM didn't put 15"s on it!

I agree with the performance, Turbo, Air Box, Dual Exhaust (two pipes, one each side), etc. are all good (some people on this forum are discussing V8's from Mallet. That's just NUTS!

Interior kit would be nice if we could get some of the look of the concept. The production car looks, well, production.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree: You guys on the forum have to remember SEMA is brimming with bling. This is a car to pull people in at a place where there's more flames than a forest fire. This is not a car to imagine driving to the Seven Eleven. There's a reason SEMA's in Las Vegas. Show cars are to cars what show girls are to girls. It's kind of ironic, really. A show car was made into a production car and now they need to make that production car back into a show car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I love it, it would be AWESOME at SEMA, I'm going for a more class(ic) look, Mysterious/Ebony (with stripes TBD), but I absolutely love the performance upgrades.

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion), GM should totally support this effort.

On this forum, we know that this car appeals to a much larger audience that is reflected by the few responses to this thread so far, and I know that almost every custom shop will come up with brilliant ideas that I will never consider/imagine/have the guts to do myself.

Go for it!!! Good Luck. Damn cool paint job, if the real deal is as cool as that, you have one excellent paint artist working for you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Oh, what about the brakes? Are you going with Brembo? Bear? Those gaps between the breaks and the spokes of the wheel are too big (on production car)...we need to fill them up with some lightweights...ceramic?

This will be a Porche Boxter Beater before you know it!

RadRiv

1 - 20 of 51 Posts