Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't notice this posted, but I could have missed it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050408/us_nm/media_gm_latimes_dc

GM Pulls Ads from Los Angeles Times Over Coverage

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. has pulled its advertising from the Los Angeles Times over what it called factual errors and misrepresentations in the newspaper, a spokesman for the automaker said on Thursday.

GM did not say how much it spent on advertising in the Times, one of the largest U.S. newspapers, or how long the ban would continue.

"General Motors decided this week to cease advertising in the Los Angeles Times based on strongly voiced objections from our dealers in California about factual errors and misrepresentations in the Times' editorial coverage," said GM spokesman Brian Akre.

The Los Angeles Times, owned by newspaper publisher Tribune Co., said it was examining GM's concerns.

"We will look into any complaints GM has about inaccuracy or misrepresentation and will make any appropriate corrections," spokesman David Garcia said by e-mail.

GM did not specify what spurred it to pull its advertising, but Times auto writer Dan Neil on Wednesday published a critical column about the company's brand strategy and called on GM to "dump" Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner.

"We recognize and support the news media's freedom to report and editorialize as they see fit," Akre said. "Likewise, GM and its retailers are free to spend our advertising dollars where we see fit."

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Speaking of advertising, an employee saw a Solstice add on Speed Channel last night. GM is starting to open the flood gates! Think I will make a post.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
He doesn't mince words, and I can see why GM execs got a little upset with him essentially calling for the heads of Wagoner and Lutz. However, I hope GM is listening to what he said, because there are a number of valid points in his writeup too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I can understand not being happy with negative publicity, but at least this guy explains and has sound reasoning behind his assertions. Many other articles I've read were "eh, another bad GM product" and that was it. Oh well, I guess GM will be saving huge advertising dollars pulling support from every media outlet that doesn't heap praise on their products. :lol:

I had to quote this section from the article as this is how I feel about many N American vehicles and I recently made this same comment about the new 'Stang even though I likely the styling. Most people don't get what I mean, but obviously this guy does.

Meanwhile, the detailing of the bodywork makes the skin of the car look eggshell-thin. I wonder how many buyers look at this car and wonder what is behind the billboard?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
You have to wonder just a little bit if Bob's reallocation of efforts is in small part due to his taking on the media.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Apparently this cost the LA Times $10 MILLION in advertising money lost from GM leaving them.
News about this from thecarconnection.com;
GM's LA Times Problem: G6/Grand Am Comparison

While General Motors hashes out its differences with the Los Angeles Times over a story last week that prompted the automaker to withdraw about $10 million in advertising from the newspaper, it seems one big issue in the story for GM executives was a comparison between sales of the Pontiac G6 and the Pontiac Grand Am.

The automaker has been coy about what "factual mistakes" were made in a story by columnist Dan Neil in a review of the G6 that also called for the ouster of GM chairman Rick Wagoner.

Blogger Automobear.com (http://www.automobear.com/index_home_content.html) reported April 9 a problem with the Times' comparison between the G6 and Grand Am to measure whether G6 sales are lagging expectations. And GM officials are pointing to the blog report as a defense of their position.

The blog makes the point that while Neil cited the G6 as substantially under-performing sales of the G6 predecessor Grand Am-evidence that GM got this product wrong-he failed to take into consideration that the G6 is limited to just a V-6 four-door sedan, and that the Grand Am had a family of four-cylinder and V-6 sedans and coupes. Head-to-head comparison between the V-6 G6 sedan and the V-6 Grand Am puts the G6 ahead by 57 percent, noted Automobear.com. The blog also reported that Neil cited incentive spending for the G6 that was accurate for the whole Pontiac division, but not the G6.

It's not the only issue with the LA Times' GM coverage. But it seems to be the issue that touched a nerve at GM and in the minds of GM officials, undermined Neil's frequent bashes of GM products and executives. The LA Times ombudsman is reviewing the paper's GM coverage in the wake of GM pulling its ad schedule.

GM's North American chief recently said that production limitations in the changeover from Grand Am to G6 necessitated a top-heavy launch of the priciest V-6 models, with a four-cylinder model to follow. -Jim Burt

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well so I have to ask, was advertising in the LA Times effective or not? Were they wasting their money all this time or did it all of a sudden become ineffective because of one writer? Is pulling their advertising from there beneficial to GM or is it a punitive move?

And, if the LA Times capitulates because of this, do other media outlets no longer report accurate or thought provoking articles for fear of lost advertising dollars? I certainly won't read or watch any that blatantly pulls back on shots.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Well so I have to ask, was advertising in the LA Times effective or not? Were they wasting their money all this time or did it all of a sudden become ineffective because of one writer? Is pulling their advertising from there beneficial to GM or is it a punitive move?

And, if the LA Times capitulates because of this, do other media outlets no longer report accurate or thought provoking articles for fear of lost advertising dollars? I certainly won't read or watch any that blatantly pulls back on shots.
Good questions. I really wonder if all that money for advertising does really help GM any. Its not like So-Cal is their best market. :willy:

I would hope that a publication wouldn't pull back. Maybe they need to rethink how they say things, and be sure what they are saying is factual, but if they have a basis for criticism they should certainly make their point. Anything less and they lose creditability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Exactly, Southern Cal isn't their best market, which just makes the other auto companies that much more happier that GM won't be advertising in LA.

·
Registered
670 Posts
does certain advertising pay off?

For so many years I have watched tv and read papers and realized how much money is spent by companies on advertising. I can't remember but a few items I saw or read about that I had to run out and buy. If an ad costs a company a million dollars these days, have many of their product do they have to sell from that one ad just to break even? Still seems to me that word of mouth is the best sales tool. I would try something that a friend recommended to me rather than seeing in an ad on tv that has a proffesional driver and you cannot attempt this at home with that product. Why show the product doing something you can't or shouldn't do with it. I think advertising agencies are steering companies in the wrong direction in search of the almighty dollar. If I was marketing a product such as a car I would have factory people talking to the consumer - you and me - to see what we really want in that product. Like a few here have said we hope GM is watching and listening because if the product doesn't sell there will be no large companies any more to sell us what we don't need or want. I've always purchased what I wanted to buy because it will serve the need that I have. If that includes some excitment or pleasure along the way, all the better. But a vehicle still has to get you from here to there. Just my opinion. :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
You know a few years of 10 million dollar accounts across the country of "not advertising" by GM would put them back in the black.....

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Oklahoma said:
You know a few years of 10 million dollar accounts across the country of "not advertising" by GM would put them back in the black.....
:agree: Especially when they are trying to save money for product developement. They could probably save enough to offer a solstice with a supercharger, with all, alll, allll, :lol: the goodies . :cool: At an affordable price

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The advertising must pay off, at least in the long run, or companies wouldn't do it. I am sure a company as big as GM, has accountants and analysts who only evaluate whether certain ads, and advertisement methods actually move more iron.

I think they'd also agree with you Brian, that word of mouth is the best method. On Autoline Detroit a couple weeks ago, they had a DaimlerChrysler marketing exec on. He said the latest and greatest advertising is in mediums that offer two way communication. Again, this may be getting back to your point Brian. The two way advertising, such as on the internet, gives advertisers a chance to get immediate feedback and interaction with the customer. He claimed this is a very good and effective way to advertise.

he also pointed out that doesn't mean traditional print ads are done. He felt they were also necessary, just to get market recognition of the brand and individual vehicles.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course advertising works, as long as the product is relatively decent. Anyone who knows or has a 3 - 10 year old who nags everyday about the same "stuff" they seen on tv commercials understands this well. And adults are nearly as affected whether they believe it or not.

Word of mouth is more powerful however, which is what has been hurting the domestics up to this point and is what they are having trouble changing; perceptions passed by word of mouth.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Word of mouth is more powerful however, which is what has been hurting the domestics up to this point and is what they are having trouble changing; perceptions passed by word of mouth.
Very, very, VERY true! I bet nearly everyone in the country knows at least one person who has a horror story about some GM car they owned and considered to be junk. Even if that car was a 1985 model year vehicle, they still hold it against GM and tell everyone how they make garbage because of that one car from 20 years ago. That is why it takes so long to turn a bad public image around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts