Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is kind of amazing. GM licensed reproduction GT tail lamps. Kind of gives you hope that GM will license parts for other cult cars, like Kappa's in the future.

Reproduced by International Mold And Production LLC.

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
I am certain that they would be willing to license any quality part that someone is willing to pay the licensing fee to make.

The problem is going to be the ability of someone to make enough money on a part for a very small market to justify tooling, licensing, and marketing.

There were 370k Fieros manufactured compared to 66k Solstices and 33k Skys.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What GM put that guy through to produce these is entirely insane. He had to give them about 40% of his gross, with a minimum prepaid ($18k if memory serves). The list of hoops is long. All to produce a part for a car they've given zero ****s about since 1988.

That said, he doesn't have salable product yet: Getting that from China isn't always simple.

Edit to add: My math predicts about 4000 registered GT-style Fieros left in the US. That number alone makes profitability on this a seeming long shot.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What GM put that guy through to produce these is entirely insane. He had to give them about 40% of his gross, with a minimum prepaid ($18k if memory serves). The list of hoops is long. All to produce a part for a car they've given zero ****s about since 1988.
Wow, that is sad. I had no idea of how expensive it was, or how few GTs were left.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow, that is sad. I had no idea of how expensive it was, or how few GTs were left.
It is. And frustrating. He also had to ship them a set as if they were a customer so they could approve the experience a customer has receiving the parts. As if there is something special about getting parts from GM.

My math on the GTs is an estimate: The Fiero Store used to pull registration records from all fifty states annually, until the cost went way up. The last time they did this, between 5 and 10 years ago they found about 10% of the original 370,000 still registered. Total fastback GT (the 85 GT was a notchback) production was 40,619. 10% of that, less some loss over the last few years is about 4000. An argument can be made that they are preferred so more are around, and that there are some that are not registered. But at the same time, there's no chance that a set of these will be sold for every remaining fastback GT.

I hope it all works out for the person paying and doing the work on this. I'll buy a set for eval, and maybe a second depending on how they look. GM sure isn't winning over any fans with their greedy behavior, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts