Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM Causes Uproar with Potential Privacy Scandal in new Roadster

"Outraged, Infuriated" are just a couple of the words that are being used by owners of Pontiac's latest addition to the roadster market, the 2006 Pontiac Solstice, after it was revealed that hundreds of new cars were equipped by GM with a small micro camera in the dash board of some of the first 1,000 Solstices sold.

General Motors Reports that approximately two hundred of the first one thousand Pontiac Solstices were equipped with a micro camera capable of transmitting still pictures of the driver back to Pontiac through the Onstar satellite network owned by GM. It's still unclear exactly what GM's motivations for placing the cameras in the cars was, or why it was installed in only some of the Solstices. Observers have speculated that GM may have intended to use the photos for marketing purposes. GM representatives were unavailable for comment.

Vehicles with the micro camera installed have what is described as a small plastic bubble on the dash board behind the instrumentation panel that is visible from the drivers seat. Contained within the bubble is a quarter inch camera that records still pictures of the driver while the vehicle is running. Solstice owners are advised to check their vehicles for the presence of this camera and may return their cars to the dealer for removal at no cost to them.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center, a Washington, D.C.-based public-interest organization, and privacy group Junkbusters, as well as at least five other groups have already expressed plans to ask the FTC to mandate that consumers be made aware of any recording device installed in new vehicles in the factory.

It has been a wide spread practice for vehicle manufactures to install devices that monitor and record information regarding a vehicle's operation including information such as speed, passenger weight, and accelleration and braking information. Such information has been used in the past to defend vehicle manufactures in product defect lawsuits. The Electronic Privacy Information Center, however, says that this case is very different in two important ways. This is the first known case of a device that transmits the recorded data back to the manufacturer, and this is the first known case of a device capable of taking pictures of the vehicle driver or passengers.

:lol: Just kidding, of course. But does any one know what the bubble is really for? Seriously, go look at the dash of your Solstice on the driver side, what is that thing??? Am I just part of some reality TV show organized by GM and Donald Trump himself?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
whaaa?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Good trick but the dead giveaway is that none of the first 1000 were able to be ordered with OnStar. Is it April 1 already?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solsticedream2 said:
:lol: Just kidding, of course. But does any one know what the bubble is really for? Seriously, go look at the dash of your Solstice on the driver side, what is that thing??? Am I just part of some reality TV show organized by GM and Donald Trump himself?
If it's what I think you're describing, it houses the sensor for the automatic headlight system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Editguy said:
If it's what I think you're describing, it houses the sensor for the automatic headlight system.

Aahhh, Now it all makes sense. I believe you're right, The American public can sleeper better now knowing they won't be subjected to watching me drive around singing Abba songs.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solsticedream2 said:
Aahhh, Now it all makes sense. I believe you're right, The American public can sleeper better now knowing they won't be subjected to watching me drive around singing Abba songs.
:( That's sad. America needs some good entertainment. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Your car probably does have a black box somewhere on board that records speed, etc that most new cars have, becomes useful in reconstructing accidents, big brother IS watching.

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I thought my dog screwed up the shot until this thread came along.

I should go back and check my pictures of the grassy knoll in Dallas. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Marco said:
I thought my dog screwed up the shot until this thread came along.

I should go back and check my pictures of the grassy knoll in Dallas. ;)
What we need is a leglifter blessing the competition :devil:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey Marco---I was really impressed with the picture of your car until I noticed the dog---it steals the moment!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts