Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

641 - 648 of 648 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Now onto the GMPP "kit". A well-rounded tune is not going to decrease the value of your vehicle. Be it aftermarket or from the OE. There are many tunes out there right now that are as good or better then the GMPP tune. The only true way to know if a Kappa is tuned is to read the ECM and know what you're looking for. There are 4 (or 6, I can't remember) different "parts" to your tune. These "parts" reside inside the ECM with different "part numbers". If you were to look them up in a parts catalog, they do actual descriptions of the "part" as a tune. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for, you will never know a car was tuned. And if the tuner was good and just uses the same part number, unless you are an avid, professional tuner, you won't know the difference between a GMPP tune and the original OE tune if you can read it. If the tuner doesn't want you to read it, he'll lock it.

Now onto GMPP itself.... If you really still want a GMPP and want to pay the extra $500-$1000, you can get sensors from ZZPerformance and an adapter so that the tech won't have to solder the wiring together for the new sensors. I would suggest going this route...it's all plug'n'play. I think they're around $115 with the adapters. DO NOT put them on until your car is in the parking lot of the dealer the day that you're having the ECM flashed!!!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
So, OSU, did it learn up some from your initial install?

I am debating this GMPP kit only because of the collectibility of my coupe. Also this thread has come full circle I suspect... Now the kits are easily available, but not sure how many people are left at dealers that know how to do it. ahhh, what to do.
The Buick/GMC dealership took good care of me; had it done in less than an hour. I bought the kit off crateenginedepot that clipped right in, so it's 100% reversible. I personally think it increases the collectability of the car as it puts the car in the best performance possible from the factory, and it comes with the stickers that show that the kit was installed. (one for the fuel door, one for the engine bay).

I can't say for sure if the intake and exhaust made it any quicker than just the tune, but the tune really does wake the car up and makes it feel more lively on accelerations. Boost comes on a bit earlier when you push the gas pedal.

As for aftermarket tunes... I know you can get more boost etc... but unless you have changed the tubing or upgraded the turbo; I see no reason to use them.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
As for aftermarket tunes... I know you can get more boost etc... but unless you have changed the tubing or upgraded the turbo; I see no reason to use them.
FWIW, you don't need to do the IC tubes to get a big increase using the basic Trifecta tune. If you do go to a higher output turbo that's a different situation and you need to upgrade several components.

I happily ran the basic Trifecta tune without mods for awhile quite happily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all! I prefer to do my own service programming via Tis2Web and Tech2. I was wondering where the dealers get the calibration download associated with part #12625952, the calibration download called for in my case. I don't see it offered anywhere in my "Vehicle Programming Software" subscription.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
On further thought, I wonder if it is added to the file for your VIN when you submit the certificate number to a dealer. After that it is part of the default data. That way it would not show up as a separate entity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's certainly possible. I can get the MAP sensors and pre-fab cables for $100. So the software is basically $500 and they only take responsibility (warranty) it for a year. hah... Trifecta may be a better way to go. More power too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spoke with GM Aftermarket Performance and, yes, they told me I need to buy the upgrade kit. Then, I call them with the authorization number. They'll add the calibration part number to what's visible to me on my Tis2web subscription. From there I can select it and program the ECU.

So, back to being $500+ for the calibration. Though it'll be selectable under my VIN in Tis2web indefinitely

I'm getting some details hammered out with Trifecta now and will go that route.

641 - 648 of 648 Posts