Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i recall there is a gm warrantied kit for the base engine out for the cavalier i think. Does anyone know what this kit costs? I would hope they come out with one for the solstice as well given it's not to expensive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, $1,995.00 on gmpartsdirect.com. Seems pretty reasonable. If it seems they will offer one for the solstice I may indeed buy a first year car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Just be aware that this Supercharger kit is ONLY designed for the 2.4L engine that was in very specific Sunfire/Cavaliers. And from what we can tell it has no intercooler.

But if you have your dealer isntall it, you get a 3 year warranty on it, plus whatever normal car warranty you have still.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
Just be aware that this Supercharger kit is ONLY designed for the 2.4L engine that was in very specific Sunfire/Cavaliers. And from what we can tell it has no intercooler.

But if you have your dealer isntall it, you get a 3 year warranty on it, plus whatever normal car warranty you have still.
Damn having the dealer installing sucks though. You just know there going to rape you on that. I was just trying to get a idea of what gm might offer for the solstice. I've always found the 3-4K aftermarket kits too expensive for me.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
aawil said:
Damn having the dealer installing sucks though. You just know there going to rape you on that. I was just trying to get a idea of what gm might offer for the solstice. I've always found the 3-4K aftermarket kits too expensive for me.
The GM kit would definately be the way to go. You know GM has done tons of testing and engineering for it to make sure its not going to blow up your engine, since they are willing to warranty it (with dealer install). Those kits are fairly low pressure, and certainly do not add as much power as you could, but if its being bolted to a stock engine you don't want to go nuts anyway, unless you like rebuilding motors!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the HP on a stock cavalier 2.4? It said 190HP after the supercharger is installed. I would guess it would be a little higher for the solstice.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
aawil said:
What's the HP on a stock cavalier 2.4? It said 190HP after the supercharger is installed. I would guess it would be a little higher for the solstice.
Those 2.4L Twin Cam engines were 150 HP stock I believe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fformula88 said:
Those 2.4L Twin Cam engines were 150 HP stock I believe.
Hmm so were getting 170 plus a potential 40. That looks very promising. I hope a kit will be available for the solstice. Plus insurance would probably be cheaper on the base model than the "hotter" cars when they come out.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's so cheap because it's a very low boost system, and isn't intercooled. Plus you don't get fuel rails, or injectors. I think people have said it runs about $800 to have them installed by the dealer.

You pay more for aftermarket systems because they're usually small companies fronting all of the R&D work, and they're usually better too performance wise.

If you search in the Technical Solstice Discussion area you'll find some very good threads about our guestimated methods and HP #'s for the Solstice.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
aawil said:
Hmm so were getting 170 plus a potential 40. That looks very promising. I hope a kit will be available for the solstice. Plus insurance would probably be cheaper on the base model than the "hotter" cars when they come out.
I’d say its hard to assume we would get 40 HP. The 2.4L Twin Cam engines in the older j-bodies is a completely different engine than the 2.2L Ecotec, and the Solstice’s upcoming 2.4L ecotec. So comparing them may be like comparing apples to oranges.

The HP increase on a kit for the 2.4L Ecotec would determine largely on how much boost the 2.4L Ecotec could reliably handle stock (In GM’s estimate) and how well it reacts to that boost. Now, the Ecotec is a more powerful and refined motor than those 2.4L Twin Cam engines, but how that would relate to the new 2.4L Ecotec is hard to say.

Heck, we don’t even know what the final HP number will be for the 2.4L Ecotec. 170 is the number that has been floated around for a while, but GM has also said in the past it was trying to squeeze out a little more. We also do not know whether that will be its correct crank HP number. GM’s supercharged 2.0L Ecotec’s published power numbers are underrated, as they dyno at the wheels close to their published crank figures.

At any rate, I think you can assume a healthy power increase from an S/C kit.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I think what ever method of Supercharging or Turbocharging is done, we'll see a healthy boost in power compared to the older 2.4L.

Like Fformula88 the new 2.4L ECOTEC VVT is far different then the older 2.4L that was used previously. Depending on the implementation VVT can help give a forced induction engine even more power when boosted. Mitsubishi is going from a non VVT 2.0L style engine in the Lancer EVO VIII to a MIVEC 2.0L VVT engine for the Lancer EVO IX. Right now the base EVO VIII pushes ~280 HP at 23psi. This appears to be the limit they can go, and still stay emissions legal. The MIVEC will produce 300+ HP and be emissions legal in the USA. Which of course means everyone else will get like a 350+ HP base version.

Also I believe we've discussed that the 2.4L has some of the engineering advantages the 2.0L Supercharged engine has. Like light weight aluminum parts, under piston oil sprayers, etc. I think at least, I don't really remember if it does or not at this point.

This ECOTEC seems to be a pretty solid engine. GM keeps pimping their ability to get it to 1000 HP solid, and even sell the manual on how to do that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What about the internals?

I'd be a little worried about a bolt-on supercharger. Don't manufacturers normally strengthen an engine's internals (rods, crank) when producing a supercharged model? Would bolting on a GM supercharger effect the warranty?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If it's a GM produced Supercharger like the Vibe/Cavalier/Sunfire then it's gone through days of testing and quality assurance. They've designed a system to work under the current limitations that will last. If you buy one of their official ones, then have a GM dealer install it you get your cars warranty, plus 3 year warranty on the Supercharger.

·
Registered
275 Posts
From GMPartsDirect:
GM PART # 12498287 *
GM LIST: $2,850.00
OUR PRICE: $1,995.00
DESCRIPTION: 2.4 LITER TWIN CAM SUPERCHARGER
This integral "roots-type" supercharger and manifold design was developed to maximize both engine horsepower and torque without sacrificing durability. Vehicle Control Module (VCM) calibration is a key factor in both performance and driveability. This supercharger has its own unique calibration designed specifically for 2000 to 2002 model year 2.4L Twin Cam engines including both the Caviler and the Sunfire.
The 2.4L Twin Cam Supercharger Kit carries a warranty covering the complete kit for defects in material and workmanship for a period of 12 months or 12,000 miles from date of installation. In addition to the product warranty, this supercharger kit will cover the powertrain (internally lubricated engine and transmission components) for the length of the original factory powertrain warranty. For specific details contact your local GM Performance Parts dealer.

and just for S&G
GM PART # 12363230
GM LIST: $2,485.27
OUR PRICE: $1,739.69
DESCRIPTION: 3.4L ENGINE

·
Registered
275 Posts
I look on them more as generations, is a lot of Quad-4 in the EcoTech. For example troubleshooting an ignition problem is a real PITA.

BTW the example was more that a supercharger kit for a I4 cost more than an entire V-6 with a liter more displacement, you not only pay more up front for the hardware, you pay as you go for more expensive gas. Given a choice, make mine NA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts