Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Move reflects consumer confidence in "the brand behind the brand"

GM adds corporate badge to its recently-introduced and all-new 2006-model vehicles

Detroit - In a move to link General Motors and its vehicle brands more closely, the company today announced that its corporate emblem will begin appearing on all recently-introduced and all-new 2006-model vehicles produced and sold in North America starting this month. GM vehicle brands include Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Saab, Hummer and Saturn.

"The GM badge is a promise of trust to our customers, reflecting our commitment to deliver the best value to them," said Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president, Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "Our own studies show that consumers place a tangible value on the General Motors name. They like knowing that the car or truck they're driving benefits from GM's global expertise in powertrain, design, engineering, and advanced electronics. Our recent announcement that StabiliTrak (ESC) and OnStar will gradually become standard features on all GM cars and trucks is a tangible illustration of what GM adds to the individual and unique character of our product brands. We believe the time is right to capitalize on those impressions, starting in North America."

LaNeve noted that the GM badge conveys an important message to consumers. "The name 'General Motors' speaks to people," he said. "It is a name people trust. We've been in business nearly 100 years and we're the global sales leader. Research tells us that many of our most outstanding segment-leading vehicles are not associated by the customer to be part of the GM portfolio. Seeing that GM badge on vehicles evokes our heritage of leadership and makes an easy connection between our great lineup of vehicle brands and the company behind them."

The move reflects the growing trend, uncovered in GM's own research as well as in surveys and studies conducted by private firms, that consumers seek closer identity with the brands behind their favorite products.

The GM badge will take the form of a small silver square, embossed with the GM logo, placed on both sides of the vehicle on an appropriate location between the front and rear wheels above the rocker and below the glass belt line.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

CONTACT(S):
Peg Holmes
GM VSSM Communications
Phone: 313.667.2904
Email: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, once they all have GM on them, and people start associating all the brands as GM it would be much easier to start moving cars out of certain brands and into others once the lines have been grayed. It would allow them to phase out brands but still keep the popular cars for a line.

It's probably a good idea though, so people will actually know there's a link between them all. Possibly to help get rid of certain stigmas. Like ewwww it's Saturn, but hmm Saturn is GM and I like all the other GM stuff. So maybe Saturn's not that bad.

However it's two more badges to add to the 11 Pontiac ones we have already on the Solstice.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quite a bit different than my Camaro. Only place it says GM is on the seat belt buckles and the only place it has the Chevy logo is on the front and back Camaro badges.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Additional Badging to be removed.

Do Not enjoy waxing around that stuck on junk.

Steve

:willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
simmonsmb said:
Quite a bit different than my Camaro. Only place it says GM is on the seat belt buckles and the only place it has the Chevy logo is on the front and back Camaro badges.
Yeah, they want you plus everyone around you to know for sure you're driving a Pontiac. And now that it's a GM too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I hope this works for GM. A lot of people may like to be associated with GM, but a lot of people also see GM as the purveyors of junk too.

It may be a good step towards eliminating more brands. Instead of just killing Buick (for example) you let it soldier on, but begin to give buyers the impression they are driving GM vehicles, and not just Buicks. Then, when Buick is canned, hopefully they are not chased off, and just accept a different brand because they are all GM cars.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One day there will just be GMC Truck/SUV devision and the GMC car devision. :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its probably a stretch to go that far right away, but it could happen in the long term.

What really seperates and distinguishes GM's brands at this point (in an appealing way)? I'd offer that it is their history. They all try to tap into that history too. Chevy with the Corvette, Monte Carlo, Impala. Pontiac's ressurection of the GTO. Buick a year or so ago with their Harley Earl ad campaign, and the ressurection of portholes on their fenders. They want people to buy these cars based on nostalgia from the past, particularly the muscle car era. Back when people liked Chevy's because of small blocks, or Pontiac V8's, etc.

However, when Generation X and Y become the dominant buying force in the marketplace, that history won't mean that much anymore. People in this age group will remember the 1980's, 1990's and current vehicles. An era when GM ahs been on the decline, put out some pretty bad quality products, and seemedslow to respond to market changes. At this point, what will the brands really mean? Since there is no major differentiation between brands anymore, and these buyers tend not to be very brand loyal anyway, the GM brands may not carry much value. Also, I think people in this age group today also tend to lump the brands together simply as "GM vehicles" anyway. They see Pontiacs as re-badged Chevy's. Essentially, value of having all these brands could be slipping away. If there ends up not being a lot of value in having them anymore, it may be to GM's advantage to sell their vehicles under one moniker, be it GM or just one of the existing brands.

At anyrate, having one GM brand is probably far from every happening, if ever. More than likely, they would still have a couple brands. Certainly Cadillac would not be rolled in with lower tier vehicles. However, I could easily see a lot of consolidation 10-20 years down the road.

I'll still take a Solstice, even if it is a GM Solstice.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
GM badge on our car!?!?

"In what we could only guess is a move by an ever-flustered GM, today they announce that all recently-introduced and all-new 2006-model vehicles produced and sold in North America will get a small silver GM badge starting this month. It will be placed on both sides of the vehicle in an appropriate location between the front and rear wheels. And yes, Saab is included. GM calls it a “move to link General Motors and its vehicle brands more closely”. We call it something to dirty up the side of a very pretty Solstice and Sky. Gentlemen, get your heat guns ready." - source: Autoblog

I think this is going to look horrible!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will pry that badge off before I even drive off the dealer lot. This car has such a sleak, clean look (that's why I love it) and this just destroys the flow. I know what it is, I don't need to advertise that for anyone else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excelsior said:
GM calls it a “move to link General Motors and its vehicle brands more closely”.
:lol: That's a joke, considering most of GM's cars look practically identical. One can always depend on GM to screw something good up. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I watched the broadcast on gmtv and can only think horrible thoughts that I will be buying a GM Solstice and not a Pontiac Solstice. If you don't know that Pontiac is a sister division to Buick, Chevy, dearly departed Olds - then go buy a Merkur! Maybe its an inhouse takeover by GMC. If they are all GM trucks then do away with Chevy AValance and just call it GM. Dumb, dumb, double dumb. :brentil:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anybody know how this GM badge will be attached to the car? Hopefully, it's something that can be taken off without hurting the paint.

·
Registered
228 Posts
They said itll start with the 06 trucks and suvs. Considering the solstice is slated to come out before I dont think we should worry. Its removeable with a little time anyway

·
Registered
76 Posts
NytLyt said:
I will pry that badge off before I even drive off the dealer lot. This car has such a sleak, clean look (that's why I love it) and this just destroys the flow. I know what it is, I don't need to advertise that for anyone else.
No need to "pry" off car badges these days. ;)
They all uses a double face adhesive pad under the badge which is easily removed in less than 10 seconds with ordinary dental floss (using a gentle sawing motion).
I debadged my Z4 in less than 2 minutes.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts