Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WILMINGTON, Del. — General Motors Corp. will cut 872 jobs at its Saturn plant near Newport next month, nearly three-quarters of its assembly line work force.

In a letter filed with the Delaware Department of Labor, GM said the permanent reduction of workers will begin as early as June 7. A GM spokesman said some workers could be called back to make the Pontiac Solstice, scheduled for production next summer, and an unnamed Saturn sports car the following year.

The layoffs come as GM moves to end the Saturn L-series this summer, a year earlier than planned. GM stock closed at $43.08, down 38 cents.

Source: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/8729478.htm

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Production to start next summer? That contradicts the blurb from Car & Driver's information dirt road that put the start of production this fall. They quoted another source, but I'm too lazy to get up and get the magazine out of my (ahem) office at the moment.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Might have meant pilot production in late Fall (50 cars or so needed for long leads), fixes applied in 4Q04 and 1Q05 (nothing gets done requiring approval between Thanksgiving and New Years), prroduction start late 1Q05 and in showrooms 2Q05.

Has the changeover at the Delaware plant started yet ? To meet the above, new tooling would have to be received and in place by the end of July so the question is what schedule are the custom machine shops on ?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
padgett said:
Has the changeover at the Delaware plant started yet ? To meet the above, new tooling would have to be received and in place by the end of July so the question is what schedule are the custom machine shops on ?
I saw another article about these layoffs, and it indicated that they will be building L series Saturns up until next month when these workers are officially laid off. It indicated after that the plant will begin to be re-tooled for Solstice production, but it did not indicate whether that re-tooling would happen immediately.

Since they still are building L Series for now, I wouldn't really expect the Solstice too early. They do seem willing to take there time and not rush things.

·
Registered
182 Posts
While i am as impatient as the next person and would like to see the solstice as soon as possible, i do not want them rushing to get the plant up and running a few months early at the expense of quality. I would much rather wait a few months and have the solstice come off the line perfectly from car number one. GM cannot risk rushing this out the door still needing a few screws to be tightened, the media will brand the car as a lemon and that GM cannot build good cars if the first few are any less than perfect. This is a do or die time at GM, they can turn around their image and earn back car sales, or they can screw it up and make people even happier that they chose honda/toyota.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree On the latest Car and Driver TV show they went on and on about the GTO's lack of build quality. Said Holden had no excuse for building a car that poorly especially since it had been in production for a couple of years. Said although they had few problems with the car itself, its quality issues would make them hesitant about owning one. People will be looking close at the Solstice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts