Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A lot of new stuff for GM again! Every vehicle launch is important, but there are a couple in this group that could be critical for GM. First is the Chevy Cobalt. Cavalier is one of GM's higher volume cars, and the Cobalt really needs to retain that volume and probably build on it some. If this car holds up to its hype, it should be a big success for GM and not need so much in rebates to be sold.

The Pontiac G6 is another. Again, Grand Am has traditionally been one of GM's higher volume cars, and it has gotten very long in the tooth. The G6 needs to be a hot seller for GM. From what I have seen, it is a good looking vehicle that is light years ahead of Grand Am. So I think it will be a hit and sell very well. But time will tell if the market will take to it or not.

Finally, the two sports cars. Corvette and Solstice. I doubt there is anything to worry about with the Corvette. Early test drives have raved about how much better it is than the C5. The Solstice is on the right track too. These two cars are important not because of volume, but because of exposure. The automotive press will give attention to any new car, but there is a much higher level of scrutiny for sports cars. If you put out a good one, they will rave about it for years. Put out a dud, and they will remind you of it for years.

The LaCrosse is important to Buick too, but not as important as their upcoming Zeta platform car. The LaCrosse is not a complete redesign of the Century/Regal, but more like a mid life restyling and improvement. It should be better, and needs to do well, but that division will live or die on their upcoming Zeta car.

Hopefully all goes great for GM

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Just about the time I think I've seen it all, I catch these spy photos of the HHR.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=178&sid=178&article=7348

I thought the Aztek's styling was controversial... :rolleyes
Don't worry, the Aztek's position is secure. I'm not a huge fan of the '49 to '54 Chevy and GMC trucks, so the HHR is kind of ho-hum to me. I wish they had gone more for a '55 or '58 Suburban look. I guess they wanted to compete with the PT Cruiser head on, but I think they'll get a little crap for essentialy copying Chrysler. No suprise, same designer, but still...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That thing looks horrible. Maybe it is because of the camo they have on it, but not only does it look like a PT Cruiser knockoff, it looks like a poorly executed knockoff! Proportionally I think it looks a little too long, and the retro-ish front end does not seem to go with the minivan like tail end and hatch.

I'll still reserve judgement until I see it in a normal pic, or in person, but it just doesn't appear to be anything special to me. Nothing that is going to sell like hotcakes. Your right Aerodave, going for a 50's Suburban look would have been better. Even something that looked more like a baby SSR would have been nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts