Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GM tonneau cover uses a velcro strip with adhesive on the back to secure the cover to the drivers side door jamb. I have not been able to get the velcro to stick for very long. Has anyone come up with an improved solution? Is there room between the jamb and the door to us a snap fastener? Maybe pop-rivet the velcro to the jamb? I am open to all ideas, and very willing to drill a hole or two to make it work.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
The GM tonneau cover uses a velcro strip with adhesive on the back to secure the cover to the drivers side door jamb. I have not been able to get the velcro to stick for very long. Has anyone come up with an improved solution? Is there room between the jamb and the door to us a snap fastener? Maybe pop-rivet the velcro to the jamb? I am open to all ideas, and very willing to drill a hole or two to make it work.
I don't have a solution but mine was installed in the spring of 2008 and Velcro is still perfect. However will watch this thread just in case down the road...:willy:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

I do not have the tonneau cover. That said, I can give a bit of advice.

Poking holes in the body is an invitation for rust, and is not recommended.

My first thought was to use some 3M Trim and Emblem adhesive. That's the stuff used to glue trim, badges, mouldings, etc. onto cars. It will stick like crazy, but won't attack the paint underneath and cause it to rust under the trim. If that sounds odd, I've seen just that happen when trim was installed using RTV to attach the trim.

·
Registered
580 Posts
But we've already poked holes to put the snaps in :willy:

Like Northern, I too have not had any difficulties. However, in the past when pulling and re-applying velcro I've done 2 things, rubber cement and double sided tape. I recommend the later. The run of the mill light duty stuff should suffice I'd think.

Did you clean the door jamb first, I mean REALLY clean it? I've heard that some waxes can prevent adhesion.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Caulairdis : But we've already poked holes to put the snaps in

Like Northern, I too have not had any difficulties. However, in the past when pulling and re-applying velcro I've done 2 things, rubber cement and double sided tape. I recommend the later. The run of the mill light duty stuff should suffice I'd think.

Did you clean the door jamb first, I mean REALLY clean it? I've heard that some waxes can prevent adhesion.
Good points. 3M Adhesive Remover is really good for surface prep, and their body moulding tape will stick just about anything to just about anything else.

I would make sure that everything is done as perfectly as possible before redesigning the system.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I've been intrigued by this cover. Anyone have any pictures? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I've been intrigued by this cover. Anyone have any pictures? Thanks!
I am as well, but as jwvess00 said, I'm worried about rust. If I were to purchase this and have it installed, is there anything I can do to the holes to help prevent rusting? Same goes for the luggage rack (I have the kappa rack, but the more I see Norther Sols car, The more I like the GM one).

I was thinking maybe you could have the holes painted before installing the hardware. Would that work?

Being in FL anythign to keep the sun off the interior when you're out and about is great. Especially when I go to the gym. Right now I end up putting the top up while in there or just driving there and back with the top up :(

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
sirmeili : I am as well, but as jwvess00 said, I'm worried about rust. If I were to purchase this and have it installed, is there anything I can do to the holes to help prevent rusting? Same goes for the luggage rack (I have the kappa rack, but the more I see Norther Sols car, The more I like the GM one).

I was thinking maybe you could have the holes painted before installing the hardware. Would that work?

Being in FL anythign to keep the sun off the interior when you're out and about is great. Especially when I go to the gym. Right now I end up putting the top up while in there or just driving there and back with the top up
3M has a product called "Rust Buster" or something similar. It is sold through automotive paint shops and works really well at preventing rust. Body shops use it inside panels that they have repaired. It is an aerosol, and would be better than paint for this purpose as it won't flake off as easily.

You might want to check this thread: Made an Interior Cover, sort of a Tonneau - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I am as well, but as jwvess00 said, I'm worried about rust. If I were to purchase this and have it installed, is there anything I can do to the holes to help prevent rusting? Same goes for the luggage rack (I have the kappa rack, but the more I see Norther Sols car, The more I like the GM one).

Being in FL anythign to keep the sun off the interior when you're out and about is great. Especially when I go to the gym. Right now I end up putting the top up while in there or just driving there and back with the top up :(
I had both the tonneau and luggage rack installed by my dealership for the following reasons.....
1) no way I could drill the holes....I would of cried and my tears would of run down the drill bit.:willy:
2) the trim guy at my dealership is a master. Both kits come with anti rust protectors. The trim guy asurered me no chance of rust issues.
3) years latter now...no rust.
4) as I said had work done through my GM dealership therefore install and parts covered under GM warranty
5) these items are official GM parts therefore I felt and found that they are quality and well designed and thought out!:thumbs:

Suggest you go back to some of my old threads...lots of pics of both the tonneau and luggage rack.
Good luck:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Thanks JRinKY,

Kappasphere sells those (or something similar). The think I like about the Tonneau cover is that it's easy to get in and get going without a lot of fuss taking off the "top cover". I'm considering both, but to be honest, there is something about a traditional tonneau cover. Too bad they don't do it like the old ones and just have the opening for the person, but I suppose that could be dangerous cause you wouldn't be able to see the guages or anything. Oh well.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread 60s Sol. Back to your topic!

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts

I have had the mounting holes in my trunk for over 3 years with no issues. They come with rubber gromets and plugs that seal the holes completely and do not allow air or water to come in contact with the trunk lid.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I have had the mounting holes in my trunk for over 3 years with no issues. They come with rubber gromets and plugs that seal the holes completely and do not allow air or water to come in contact with the trunk lid.
Rob is able to use the GM rack resting on top of that paint job with no issues. I rest my case!!!!:thumbs:

Rob,
Punisher is awesome!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I got cheated! :brentil:
I got no plugs or grommets with my GM rack! :cryin:

I agree, the Punisher looks Super! :thumbs:

·
Registered
580 Posts
The instructions recommended a generous application of dielectric grease after drilling the holes. I got something from the local car parts store that was "just as good" I'll dig it out of my toolbox when I get home.

I drive my car year-round in New England and so far I have seen no indication of rust.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there!

I do not have the tonneau cover. That said, I can give a bit of advice.

My first thought was to use some 3M Trim and Emblem adhesive. That's the stuff used to glue trim, badges, mouldings, etc. onto cars. It will stick like crazy, but won't attack the paint underneath and cause it to rust under the trim. If that sounds odd, I've seen just that happen when trim was installed using RTV to attach the trim.
I finally got around to trying jwvess00's advice, since I had the 3M Adhesive around from another job. It worked perfectly! The velcro has been in place for a week now, and I don't think I could remove it if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice on this.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I just put my tonneau on today for the first time this season..... I love it!!!! Am going to have it on driving down to Asheville as the wife is going to fly down and meet me. Due to her luggage reqirements:devil: I most likely will not be able to store the tonneau in the back when I remove it. I think it can fold up and store behind my seat or the passenger seat as we are both medium height so we have some room behind the seats. Does anyone else store it this way when not using?

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
My cockpit cover is a little bit lighter weight material than the tonneau, so this may not work for you, but I fold it roughly in half and store it on top of the top. Be sure that you keep it away from the trunk latch, tuck the excess into the gaps on the sides of the top, and the fold runs across at the back.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
My cockpit cover is a little bit lighter weight material than the tonneau, so this may not work for you, but I fold it roughly in half and store it on top of the top. Be sure that you keep it away from the trunk latch, tuck the excess into the gaps on the sides of the top, and the fold runs across at the back.
I thought about this but the GM tonneau has plastic slats that slide/clip into both side windows so my concern would be them digging into or damaging the roof. Seeing 60's Sol got his answer and problem solved I might as well make this a thread hi jack....:willy:

When you have a passenger (Wife with luggage) where do you store your tonneau when not in use in your Sol?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Just answered my question. I am on a little road trip with the tonneau on and loving it. Am coming back tomorrow and they are calling for rain.:devil: in preperation I removed tonneau and folded it up and it fits behind passenger seat no problem!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts