Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping my dad out, so bear w/ me!

He just picked up a 09 Solstice GXP and wondered about the GM tune (I guess it adds 30hp?). I called one of the local dealerships here and after researching they got back w/ me and said they could do it for $900. I don't have a lot of confidence in them because they didn't even know it existed; and also just wanted to check here to see if that was outrageous or if that's the going rate.

Also, I've checked K&N and also Injen's website for a CAI for this car and can't find one. Just curious what brand to look for?

I'm open to any suggestions as well. My dad's is also an automatic :(, but it's still fun to drive :). He just wants to add as much bang for buck power as he can. He's also not opposed to the $900, I just don't want to see him get ripped off or even more, get ripped off and have the dealership screw something up.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
welcome to the forum.

if it is $900 installed for parts and labor, that is not bad depending on the hourly rate for labor where you live. the quoted rate for labor is 1.2 hours, but some dealers charge for 2.

if you do a search for the package, you will find lots of info.

Crate engine depot also sells a kit that is plug n play that you can in tall yourself and then just go to the dealer for the software upgrade.

or just to save money on the parts.

GMPP makes a CAI as well.

If you mention where you are, others might be able to point out a preferred dealer they have worked with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What Jeff said is exactly how I did mine. Crate engines cost was $495.00 then it took me about 15 minutes to install (very easy). And I had previously made an arrangements with the dealership to flash the computer. My dealer charged me $120.00, I have heard of it being as low as $80 and as high as $200.00, but you should be able to get it done for less than $900.00 total cost. THEN the fun begins. There is more than just 30 more horses in that tune.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry I am still a newbe here ,what is a CAI I got a feeling I am going to feel imbarrased when I get this answer.Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think Crate Engine Depot has the kit for $460ish and my dealer did the install for something like $116. $900 seems steep to me.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Sorry I am still a newbe here ,what is a CAI I got a feeling I am going to feel imbarrased when I get this answer.Thanks
CAI = Cold Air Intake - when I started on this Forum I did not know what one was either. Search it on the Forum as I did and you will get a ton of info. I bought my GMPP tune and CAI through Crate Engine. They will have about the best price you will find. I had my dealership install both.:thumbs:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Before you jump feet first into a $800 GMPP tune, check out the Trifecta tune. $200, you get about 40 HP.

Bob

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok I did a search to look for some of the info like CAI and did not find anything.Must be something wrong here because I have done that on a few subject only to have to resort to asking questions online and looking like an idiot whe I get the answer.Not to mention for some reason this site seems to load very slow on my PC ,many refreshes to get somewhere ,visit other sites and no issues there.As far as searches I just use the top pull down and type in the info but usually don't get all that info you are referring to .Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here is an example of what I got for CAI

The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Search by KeywordKeyword(s):

Search Entire Posts Search Titles Only
Search by User NameUser Name:

Find Posts by User Find Threads Started by User Exact name

Search Options
Find Threads with
At Least At Most Replies Find Posts from
Any Date Your Last Visit Yesterday A Week Ago 2 Weeks Ago A Month Ago 3 Months Ago 6 Months Ago A Year Ago and Newer and Older Sort Results by
Relevancy Title Number of Replies Number of Views Thread Start Date Last Posting Date User Name Forum in Descending Order in Ascending Order Show Results as

·
Registered
346 Posts
That time it only took 2 refreshes.LOL

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
If you are after more power, forget about the cold air intake - none to be had there, it just changes appearance and noise.

The GMPP tune is worthwhile and you can buy from Crate Engine and have a local dealer install it. In fact you can install it or have your local mechanic do it, and then drive over to the dealer to have them reflash the tune (although they may not like missing being able to gouge you on the installation work).

The GMPP tune is factory approved and doesn't affect warranty. Other tunes are not approved and although they will produce more power, they could result in warranty difficulties if anything goes wrong with the drive line.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks guys ,will be doing a Trifesta tune seeing how I will not have any warranty issues with a 07 GXP .As far as i know there is no warranty left on it,started to treat my gas tank to a better octane so that when I get the tune I will have the right gas in it.Still trying to nail down the tune as far as how I am going to get it done but rest assure it will be done soon.I have a few options ,just weighing the cost of them .Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the kit installed two years ago and paid $750. If you don't get the Stage II kit from Pontiac, it may void your warranty. I can tell you that I and many others have had nothing but trouble with this kit. The car often runs like it is stuck in 2nd gear and has no power. I have had it to the dealerhsip five times now and they still can't correct the problem. I am close to telling them to take off the kit and give me my money back. The extra 20-30 hp isn't worth it when you have to deal with constant performance issues with the kit.

Disgusted in Scranton

·
Registered
395 Posts
Someone somewhere will be unhappy with everything. Some are unhappy with Trifecta, some with the GMPP kit, some with BSR. To the exact opposite, there are many that are happy with each of the above, they all just tend to be much less vocal.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
I am perfectly happy with the GMPP kit (it is not called the stage 2 kit, BTW). I installed it with soldered connections instead of the supplied splices and have never had any problem with it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I am perfectly happy with the GMPP kit (it is not called the stage 2 kit, BTW). I installed it with soldered connections instead of the supplied splices and have never had any problem with it.
Me too and :agree:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I would highly suggest buying GMMP kit from Crate Engine Depot. They were very helpful when I had issues with it. There are upgraded seals for the sensors etc. that they know about. If warranty is not an issue, I would not add the parts and potential issues and get the Trifecta budget tune. Of course I am partial but it is based on my experience. Also, do solder and shrink wrap if you get GMMP kit that seems to prevent alot issues for folks including me!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I purchased my GM upgrade through CED and they also installed it for me. It was $630 all said and done. I purchased their kit with the harness made up so there was no splicing of wires otherwise.

$900 sounds pretty steep.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts