Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my mid-life crisis car. A 2008 GXP w/31k miles. Absolutely love it.
Already installed a MagnaFlow system (I own a Muffler shop!) I was wondering if the GM Turbo upgrade is still available through dealers. Would I use a Chevy dealer? From all the reviews here, I know I want that done!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's still an available option and any GM dealer should be able to install the part and recalibrate the ECM.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You can buy the kit from your local dealership and have them install. Or you can order the kit from CED and get it with their adapter harness as well. Here is a link (looks like this version includes the adapter harness in the price-but double check for yourself): Cobalt, Solstice, HHR Stage Kit 19212670HK

If you order the kit from the dealership, it comes with splice connectors. If you go that route, instruct the dealership to do soldered connections and shrink tape weather seal. DO NOT use the crimp connectors, they will fail.

No matter what, the dealership must download the new flash from the mother ship (GM): There is a verification code in the kit.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I would even go one further and say get a different tune other then the GMPP unless your car is still under warranty. I would go with HPTuners or Trifecta.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
A consideration is that even if your PT warranty has expired, the GMPP install itself comes with a warranty. If you have problems with the install or potentially with the results, it should still be covered.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
For me the trifecta budget was the way to go. Cheaper, easier, and best of all it just flat out works!
I agree, the LS3 route was a lot more expensive . . . but then . . . 360 vrs 510. Hmmmmm

:devil::devil::devil:

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome! Neat...your very own muffler shop! Enjoy the permagrin.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
If you do get the GMPP kit I would follow GS Stage 1 advice.
The adapter harness with the KIT is the way to go.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just got my mid-life crisis car. A 2008 GXP w/31k miles. Absolutely love it.
Already installed a MagnaFlow system (I own a Muffler shop!) I was wondering if the GM Turbo upgrade is still available through dealers. Would I use a Chevy dealer? From all the reviews here, I know I want that done!
Hey there bweb,

Congratulations on getting the 2008 GXP! I am more than happy to look into these questions for you. Private message your name, address, and VIN that way I can find a dealer that is closest to you to services your Pontiac vehicle.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congratulations on getting the 2008 GXP! I am more than happy to look into these questions for you. Private message your name, address, and VIN that way I can find a dealer that is closest to you to services your Pontiac vehicle.
And... so a note can be added to the computer system that you may have an aftermarket tune in case any latent defect/failure occurs that can be "blamed" on the aftermarket tune :devil:, something about Greeks bearing gifts comes to mind :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tom, I purchased the sensors last year...waiting for good weather to have it installed. I tried to get the adapters and I have not be able to get a PN, price or a way to order them. Do you have this info?
I'd prefer not to have to solder any connectors.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Just got my mid-life crisis car. A 2008 GXP w/31k miles. . . .
Congrats. Mid-life has just been reset for you. Welcome back to your youth. Enjoy it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
And... so a note can be added to the computer system that you may have an aftermarket tune in case any latent defect/failure occurs that can be "blamed" on the aftermarket tune :devil:, something about Greeks bearing gifts comes to mind :lol:
The GMPP tune, if installed by a GM dealer, is warranted for 1 yr / 12,000 miles, assuming that the powertrain warranty has expired. If there is more than 1 year/12,000 miles remaining on the GM powertrain warranty, the longer time of the powertrain warranty is applicable.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Tom, I purchased the sensors last year...waiting for good weather to have it installed. I tried to get the adapters and I have not be able to get a PN, price or a way to order them. Do you have this info?
I'd prefer not to have to solder any connectors.
The adapter harness is something built by CED. Just call them, ask for Tom and he can set you up.

GM never made the adapter harness because they were "budget minded". :lol:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
From what I've read, eventually everyone who has had the GM tune has also had the dreaded inter-cooler bubble happen to them, so make sure you upgrade the inter-cooler if you get any kind of tune that gives you over 20psi! The stock inter-cooler just can't handle it over time. Do some research and find out how many have had it replaced under warranty because of the ballooning/bubble effect.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
From what I've read, eventually everyone who has had the GM tune has also had the dreaded inter-cooler bubble happen to them, so make sure you upgrade the inter-cooler if you get any kind of tune that gives you over 20psi! The stock inter-cooler just can't handle it over time. Do some research and find out how many have had it replaced under warranty because of the ballooning/bubble effect.
Actually, this is not the case. The vast majority of cars have had no issues. A very few cars have experienced the ballooning and it was due to a manufacturing error. It appeared before the tune.

The intercooler issue associated with the tune is splitting the can on the outlet side. The cause is unknown but this too is a very small number of cars.

We have 45 cars in our group and have had three failures

1 - 20 of 35 Posts