Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check this out........


Gm Will Build 7,000 Solstices This Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Nearly half of the customers who have ordered the new Pontiac Solstice won't get the roadster until next year.

General Motors expects to build 7,000 units this year, Lori Queen, GM's vehicle line executive for small cars, said at a press event here. GM has 13,000 orders for the car.

Queen says production should speed up in the next 30 days. Solstice production started in mid-July at GM's Wilmington, Del., plant. The automaker had built 1,840 units through Thursday, Sept. 1.

"Now that we're building in higher volumes than we did in the early, early phases, we're seeing bottlenecks and areas that aren't building as smoothly as you'd like them to build," Queen said.

Initial problems with roof leakage and front-end fit are fixed, though.

Pontiac debuted the car on the April 14 episode of NBC's "The Apprentice" TV show. During that show, 1,000 customers placed orders for special versions of the car. Queen said about 750 of the "Apprentice" orders have been filled.

The Solstice is the first vehicle on GM's new rear-wheel-drive Kappa architecture.

GM uses the term "architecture" to signify a common set of components, performance characteristics, a common manufacturing process, a range of dimensions and connecting points for key component systems.

GM has said it developed the Kappa vehicles to be profitable at low volumes by using existing GM parts and innovative production.

For example, the company set up a small body-shop module rather than a mainstream automated body shop. The car's chassis and underbody are hand-welded.

"If you want to do more volume, you have to put in more modules for the body shop," Queen says, adding that GM doesn't intend to do that.


http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54368
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
The year of which they speak is it the model year or the calender year? :confused:Big difference,sounds like calender year to moi.If not then mangement better show the whip. :devil: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SATCH said:
The year of which they speak is it the model year or the calender year? :confused:Big difference,sounds like calender year to moi.If not then mangement better show the whip. :devil: :cool:
I really don't know if they mean calander or model year but at the rate they are going it seems like 7000 would be right for the model year :brentil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
We were recently told a few weeks back that the 10,000 standing orders would be filled by years end. NOW THIS! :brentil: :cuss: :cryin: :eek: :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
I'll be surprised if they don't have 20,000 orders by the end of this year, unless they cut it off. But doing that could be problematic in itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
We were recently told a few weeks back that the 10,000 standing orders would be filled by years end. NOW THIS! :brentil: :cuss: :cryin: :eek: :rolleyes:
Learn not to believe what they say and you will be better off. They have a good track record of saying one thing and doing another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
For example, the company set up a small body-shop module rather than a mainstream automated body shop. The car's chassis and underbody are hand-welded.

"If you want to do more volume, you have to put in more modules for the body shop," Queen says, adding that GM doesn't intend to do that.

GM does not intend to increase volume?????? Lori, you are the Queen, please add more modules!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Where's the popcorn.......(drama)

ESERIES3 said:
Check this out........
Gm Will Build 7,000 Solstices This Year
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Nearly half of the customers who have ordered the new Pontiac Solstice won't get the roadster until next year.

General Motors expects to build 7,000 units this year, Lori Queen, GM's vehicle line executive for small cars, said at a press event here. GM has 13,000 orders for the car.
:lurk: :nopity:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Sad but probably true for 2005

We are sitting at around 1100 cars YTD (saleable cars)
A while ago GM said their target was 1500 per month. Sep-Dec = 4 months
4 x 1500 = 6000, plus the 1000 we have = 7000 in 2005 IF WE ARE LUCKY. :(

In other words around the number of cars ordered by May 16. :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I've got 2 1/2 years left on the lease of my G6 GT. I suppose I should order my Solstice now. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,302 Posts
so at what point and time does Pontiac stop accepting orders for the car?..i dont think most people are willing to wait 6-9 months for a new car....even one as hot as the solstice.....with 13K orders, now..and only 7k to be produced at the end of the calendar year.....thinking mine is one of those to fall in next years deliver at this point.......uuuummmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Would be interesting to know what the total # is of 1st 4 month allocations to all dealers. I'm sure this is probably privelaged information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,302 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
Would be interesting to know what the total # is of 1st 4 month allocations to all dealers. I'm sure this is probably privelaged information.
I bet the first four month allocation exceeds the 7K......SD...can you give us any insight?

2900 Pontiac dealers.....uuuuuummmmmmm just thinking ...knowing some of the smaller ones didnt get any first allocations..while many got multiple ones....soooooo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
Would be interesting to know what the total # is of 1st 4 month allocations to all dealers. I'm sure this is probably privelaged information.
Well, a quick estimate can be had by dividing 20,000 (yearly production goal) by 3 (number of 4 month periods in a year).

So at full line production rate, first four month allocation would have been about 6,666 cars. But we don't know if GM factored in the ramp up period, so it could be less for the FIRST four month allocation. 2nd allocation and beyond, 6,666 is probably a good guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
PAO said:
so at what point and time does Pontiac stop accepting orders for the car?..i dont think most people are willing to wait 6-9 months for a new car....even one as hot as the solstice.....with 13K orders, now..and only 7k to be produced at the end of the calendar year.....thinking mine is one of those to fall in next years deliver at this point.......uuuummmmmmm
I believe the decision to continue accepting orders or not is up to the individual dealers. So if the dealer wants to accept orders or form a waiting list for his second or third allocation, he can choose to do so. Whether or not GM accepts these into the Vehicle Order System is a different thing. I assume that dealers can only enter orders from their first and maybe second allocations at this point, with later allocations locally waitlisted or stored in the dealers computer (but not picked up by GM).

Hopefully the dealers are upfront with their customers about the length of the wait, and the fact that their order may not be filled until the next Model Year (MY07).
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top