Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter used to work for GM at the Houston GMAC Customer service center until they shut down that facility last November. Although she went to work at a bank, most of the long time GM employees (well over a hundred) transferred to offices around the US (GM paid for their moving expenses). Now GM is telling those that transferred that, starting in August, ALL it's customer service centers will be shut down and ALL will be laid off. All customer service will be handled by an outside contractor.

I wonder if the representatives that have been answering the EOP phones actually work for GM???

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My wife used to work for EDS and I have a buddy that works for a contract software development company for OnStar (whenever I call him, I tell him I locked my keys in my car... You'd think after a few dozen times that joke would get old - but I laugh everytime :lol: ). GM - and a lot of other big companies - contract EVERYTHING they can.

:rant: What really sucks is when you are in a noisy industrial plant, need tech support and you're talking to someone on the other side of the planet, who should be in bed ('cause its 3:00am his time), speaks english as a second (or third) language, and you are using a cell phone (all of our tech support was moved to the Phillipines from Texas two years ago).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
GE started subcontracting out several years ago and now the factories themselves are only a shell of what they used to be. GMAC was being touted just last year as the savior of GM if it were sold off completely to someone like GE. So it is no surprise to see work being subcontrscted. Who do you think you talk to when you order over the phone with Target, Sears, LLBean? Same as credit cards, you are dealing with subcontractors.One minute the person is taking payment on your credit card, the next they are filling your order, the next they are taking your motel reservation. (it's not quite as simple as that except that those three transactions can be taking place in the same room on 38th St in Erie, PA no matter where you are.

Frightening part is that federal prisoners take your credit card info when you book reservations at a National Park campsite. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
achieftain said:
Frightening part is that federal prisoners take your credit card info when you book reservations at a National Park campsite. :yesnod:
And the wonderful thing is to qualify for this prison job, for the most part, it's the inmates that have committed white collared crimes, like bad checks and credit card fraud! :willy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts