Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesn anyone know how reputable this site is?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/factsheet.htm

there is mention there about an ION redline with a 200 hp turbo 2.4l, sounds feasable, but then there is also mention about the Redline VUE with the 3.5l v6 honda engine!?! im no expert, but it doenst seem likely that GM will use a honda engine, or is it?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Doesn't seen out of the ordinary. GM's Metro's and Trackers were manufactured by Suzuki and their Nova's by Toyota. Honda sold a SUV that was really an Isusu. I'm not familar with any tie-in with Honda, but GM is a major share holder of Isusu. The now defunct GEO line was to out source an entire car line. I can see advantages for GM. Honda engineers and makes great engines. I drive a Civic with over 220,000 miles and the engine, itself, has never given me one problem. It'd be ironic to have a Solstice with a Honda engine when the S2000 is one of the cars they've stated the want to immulate. I can see wanting to beat a Mazda(Ford)!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DreamerDave said:
Doesn't seen out of the ordinary. GM's Metro's and Trackers were manufactured by Suzuki and their Nova's by Toyota. Honda sold a SUV that was really an Isusu. I'm not familar with any tie-in with Honda, but GM is a major share holder of Isusu. The now defunct GEO line was to out source an entire car line. I can see advantages for GM. Honda engineers and makes great engines. I drive a Civic with over 220,000 miles and the engine, itself, has never given me one problem. It'd be ironic to have a Solstice with a Honda engine when the S2000 is one of the cars they've stated the want to immulate. I can see wanting to beat a Mazda(Ford)!
thats all well and true, but doesnt GM have a new inline 6? i thought i read that somewhere, but i could be wrong, either way, with the whole GM revolution and whatnot, i dont see GM using too many parts from the competion when i assume they want to profit at all costs, much less when they have a new engine to use

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't really speak of that site, but both of those engine options are true, and are both available today. The ION Redline is currently on sale with the 200-HP (205 actually I think) supercharged 2.4l, and the VUE Redline is available w/ the Honda V6. I believe that GM made some contractual agreement to buy something like 250,000 Honda engines a few years back in exchange for Honda licensing some GM technology or something similar. The VUE Redline is the first vehicle to make use of the Honda engine.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Actually, all 2004 V6 VUEs have the 3.5L Honda powertrain. Not just the Redline. GM got the 3.5L Honda Vtec-equipped V6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions in exchange for Isuzu (a GM subsidiary) I-4 diesel motors. I'm not sure what the diesels are going into, but I do know that ALL '04 V6 VUES are "powered by Honduh." Sacrelidge, I say!

On a side note. This is the same powertrain that can be found in Honda Odyssey minivans, and the same engine (not sure about the transmission) that is in Acura MDX sport utes!

As for the Ion Redline, it is a supercharged 2.0 vice a turbocharged 2.4. Closer 2006solstice, but no cigar.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know the owner of that site and he tries to get the most up to date information for the people that read that site so I would believe what I saw up there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I frequent GMInsidenews and it is a very reputable site with a lot of accurate inside information. There are people who try to make themselves sound important, but that's the same anywhere you go, but the owner does makes sure any "Factual" information is verified with his contacts before it gets posted as a fact.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the honda deal is interesting news to me...

i knew about the redline engine, but the ION 200hp turbo 2.4 was what was sounding real interesting to me. seems to be a typo considering it is a 2.0 s/c, and i dont think they will vary the powertrain too much in one year...

oh well

·
Registered
281 Posts
IIRC, GM didnt want the honda V6, it was Isuzu. but, Isuzu ended up cancelling the project they were going to use it in and GM got stuck with it. saturn was the obvious choice for its use since, of all the GM divisions, it is the only one that was supposed to be seperate from GM. imagine how much crap GM would get if they used it in a chevy. :D

also, i read on another site that the Vue will get the SC 3.8L

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Vita said:
thats all well and true, but doesnt GM have a new inline 6? i thought i read that somewhere, but i could be wrong, either way, with the whole GM revolution and whatnot, i dont see GM using too many parts from the competion when i assume they want to profit at all costs, much less when they have a new engine to use
Yes, GM has a new inline 6, the 4200 vortech used in the trailblazer family of SUV's. It puts out around 275 or so HP, and is a very nice engine! They also have developed an inline 5 based off of it that is being used in the Canyon small pickup, and I think its power is around 225. One reason the I6 might not be used in a vehicle such as the Vue is its length. It might not fit in the engine compartment that well, since it is much longer than a typical V6.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
pmkco said:
No such thing as an "inline V6". It is either one or the other, in this case it is an inline 6.
Just a mistype, as you easily understood, I was referring to the I6. I corrected it too, thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fformula88 said:
Yes, GM has a new inline 6, the 4200 vortech used in the trailblazer family of SUV's. It puts out around 275 or so HP, and is a very nice engine! They also have developed an inline 5 based off of it that is being used in the Canyon small pickup, and I think its power is around 225. One reason the I6 might not be used in a vehicle such as the Vue is its length. It might not fit in the engine compartment that well, since it is much longer than a typical V6.

too bad it most likely won't fit in the solstice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts