Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gmlinedog,could you give the forum a heads up as to the color you are assembling.It seems blue and black are the first.If they do it this way with the production on the first 1000.I sure would be interested as well as others. :yesnod: :cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah ... I think Ateam77's source predicted that black, blue and green would be produced first. Seems like there was definitely something to it. Do you think we can still expect to see green out before the rest of the colors now also, or will green just be mixed in with the other colors?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
It might have to do with the general forgiving nature of paints.... Maybe the darker colors are easier to paint/color match (doors trunk and body all get painted at different times? and/or paint defects are less obvious... I'm sure there is some kind of reason.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Or it has something to do with giving the cars every possible chance of high quality - you have a better chance of high paint quality at batching cars in large groups as opposed to switching colors every few cars.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
solsticeman said:
Or it has something to do with giving the cars every possible chance of high quality - you have a better chance of high paint quality at batching cars in large groups as opposed to switching colors every few cars.
I agree. When you're making 20,000 cars, what's the point of switching out colors every other car? It's probably also faster and cheaper (color setup time) to paint several vehicles the same color. They've got a lot of cars to build. Remember, everyone gets a car! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
stang said:
I agree. When you're making 20,000 cars, what's the point of switching out colors every other car? It's probably also faster and cheaper (color setup time) to paint several vehicles the same color. They've got a lot of cars to build. Remember, everyone gets a car! :thumbs:
I don't think it's unusual at all to have each car a different color. This is a primary pillar of Just in Time manufacturing. While the bodies doors, etc may be painted in batches, they have been made some time before the car is actually assembled. It's just a matter of staging the parts in the right order.

If you're only building 57 cars per shift, it's almost imperative that everything be designed to allow every single car to be different during final assembly.. The key here... batch the sub assemblies but not the final assembly.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Ok I'm still rambliing...

In an ideal world.. the cars are built in the sequence GM receives the order. However, now you have to consider a lot of logistics into the mix for example what is going on a particular train car.... You wouldn't want to hold up a train load of product just because you haven't come around to the correct color assembly sequence.

Although there are inevitably queues of cars in the finished lot, every one of those represents a good amount of cash to GM. GM will want to keep that number of in process cars to a minimum. They aren't earning any money on the lot, where as if that same money were invested somewhere it could be. Or, think of it as that much less GM had to borrow to make those cars.

GM is like the rest of us manufacturing guys... make and ship is the order of the day...

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
GM is working from a backlog of 10,000 orders. They have the luxury of grouping similar cars together that are going to a similar place, have similar colors, and even similar specs.

GMLineDog knows better, but I'm assuming the paint booth requires a little down time to switchout colors.

·
Registered
288 Posts
stang said:
GM is working from a backlog of 10,000 orders. They have the luxury of grouping similar cars together that are going to a similar place, have similar colors, and even similar specs.

GMLineDog knows better, but I'm assuming the paint booth requires a little down time to switchout colors.
Right now they are only producing the first 1,000, so they don't have 10,000 to work with.

And GMLineDog has stated in the past that the line is designed to do different colors for each car built, so I'm not sure why they are doing these colors first.

Flagg

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Another theory.
Maybe more people ordered these colors. It is possible that Blue, Green, and Black are just more popular than the others. Or at least, more popular in the areas that they are presently shipping cars too. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
stang said:
Another theory.
Maybe more people ordered these colors. It is possible that Blue, Green, and Black are just more popular than the others. Or at least, more popular in the areas that they are presently shipping cars too. Just an idea.
Actually, my thoughts were that they are possibly the least popular colors and that by running them first instead of the more popular colors, they will get all the colors out on the road sooner. In other words, after 500 cars, we should have a good selection of each color. If they started with the more popular colors (like Sly I would assume), they would be running the whole time as the other colors came and went and there would be lots of the more popular colors on the road, instead of a nice assortment. I dunno, just a thought. I believe I saw somewhere that there were 350 cars of the 1000 in the Black/Blue/Green group.

·
Registered
462 Posts
SlySol said:
Actually, my thoughts were that they are possibly the least popular colors and that by running them first instead of the more popular colors, they will get all the colors out on the road sooner. In other words, after 500 cars, we should have a good selection of each color. If they started with the more popular colors (like Sly I would assume), they would be running the whole time as the other colors came and went and there would be lots of the more popular colors on the road, instead of a nice assortment. I dunno, just a thought. I believe I saw somewhere that there were 350 cars of the 1000 in the Black/Blue/Green group.
I doubt that black is one of the least popular colors....
I'd bet that Black, silver and grey are the most popular.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
mcbman said:
I doubt that black is one of the least popular colors....
I'd bet that Black, silver and grey are the most popular.
There was a pole somewhere in this forum that might shed a little light on what the most popular color is. It obviously won't be 100%, but it's better than us just guessing.

On that note, here' my guess...

#1 Silver, #2 Black, #3 Gray, #4 Red, #5 Green, #6 White, #7 Blue

Actually, that was a poor attempt at me being sarcastic. I just put all the colors in the order I like them best and reversed it. My wife and I think Blue, White & Green look the best on this car. I think solid silver is the most boring color on any car, especially sports cars. I know, I'm backwards.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
TerpFan said:
Dark colors are easier for the fit and finish guys to get out the door right now. The lines are somewhat hidden by the darker color. Once the the process for fit and finish is refined the lighter colors will roll down the line.
If this is the case -- then we'll probably see Envious and Sly next. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bonzo said:
I think solid silver is the most boring color on any car, especially sports cars.
Metallic colors, particularly silver, have a high amount of specular reflection, which tends to highlight the curves of stylish cars. They also give a sports car a more exciting pressence, as the reflections change more dynamically as the car moves (or you move around it). I actually never understood the desire for red sports cars, as the color tends to saturate your corneas and dullen a shapely design. Add the lack of contrast in typically red tail and marker lights, and it's a recipe for boring. I personally think dark blue metallic is a terrific color for sports cars, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
TerpFan said:
Dark colors are easier for the fit and finish guys to get out the door right now. The lines are somewhat hidden by the darker color. Once the the process for fit and finish is refined the lighter colors will roll down the line.
Just curious Terp, what lines are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
TerpFan said:
When you say lines do you mean "fit" lines? This I could see this since the lines (cracks) appear black, so the darker the color the less they show.

But in regards to "finish", the lighter colors are always easier to work with, white being the easiest because it doens't show anything. You could almost paint a car with flat white dull paint and it would look okay (if you like white). That's why if I ever went to Maco (which I won't) I'd have them paint what ever car it was white so the runs and drips wouldn't show. Dark metallic paint (like the blue and green on the Solstice) are the hardest colors to work with "finish" wise.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts