1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Looks like you have the adapter wire harness. Which would mean you don't have to worry about the crimped wires.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Heh! I don't think that his picture! :)

Yes sirwm, you are in the correct area. The crimps are in the wires a few inches out from the two MAP sensors noted in the pic.

You can see my photo of the butchered job my selling dealer made of my install, over on the KP forum (you'll have to be logged-in to see the pics), here: FYI - Removing pins from GMPP TMAP connectors

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The jumper harness was offered in later years and was the way to go. I'm just seeing this on my phone but looked to neat to be a splice job.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you have the adapter wire harness. Which would mean you don't have to worry about the crimped wires.
the picture is in first post is a picture I found. It is not a picture of my car...

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Heh! I don't think that his picture! :)

Yes sirwm, you are in the correct area. The crimps are in the wires a few inches out from the two MAP sensors noted in the pic.

You can see my photo of the butchered job my selling dealer made of my install, over on the KP forum (you'll have to be logged-in to see the pics), here: FYI - Removing pins from GMPP TMAP connectors
Here is TS's photo...

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Good picture tomato! Yes that is what it looks like when crimped together by dealer. I soldered on both my cars and haven't had an issue since. Get it fixed Sirwm.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Aren't those the connectors that after you crimp them you heat them and there is solder inside that secures the connection?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I've been looking for threads and photos regarding the needs to solder stuff for the GMPP package.

Two threads are these:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/gmpp-limp-mode-82658/index2.html
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/limp-mode-issue-2008-gxp-turbo-gm-tune-290hp-73601/

but there are no photos here any longer.

I found this photo:

Am I going in the right direction ?
This is my pic....I was showing the available adapters that crate engine was now selling for the 3bar MAP sensors....

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
The crimps are special connectors GM uses and they are not foolproof. I soldered my connections and shrink tubed them before taking the car to the dealer for the retune.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Aren't those the connectors that after you crimp them you heat them and there is solder inside that secures the connection?
Yes you crimp and heat, but the heat just shrinks the outer sleeve and melts the weather-sealant glue. There's no solder inside.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Yes you crimp and heat, but the heat just shrinks the outer sleeve and melts the weather-sealant glue. There's no solder inside.
There in lies the problem, GM techs didn't solder the crimps when installing the GMPP tune.

And no, you cannot retrofit the Crate Engine Depot pigtail.
Cobalt, Solstice, HHR Stage Kit Harness Adapter 19212670H
Reg. Price: $149.85 Our Price: $102.95

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The crimps are special connectors GM uses and they are not foolproof. I soldered my connections and shrink tubed them before taking the car to the dealer for the retune.
could you post a picture please of what you soldered ?

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
my car

these two pictures are from my car...

so, do I have to solder or not ? :huh:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Jeez, you didn't get the message from the pics above??

YES. You DO need to solder. Undo the electrical tape and peel back the wire covering. You'll see the crimps.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
ahh... ?

peel back the tape and now we see ... enlightenment !

thanks...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Just reread my post - came over a bit harsh. Didn't mean it that way, so apologies :)

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
there are a total of 7 wires to be soldered - 3 on the connector
closest to the windshield, and 4 on the connector closest
to the nose of the car.

In this picture, we see the front-most connector.
2 wires done by the dealer
1 wire completely soldered and covered, and
1 wire soldered, but still needing to be covered.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
and finally, we have all 7 wires cleaned up and ready to go...

:woo:

thanks for the help.

:dthumbs:

( of course, I better plug that connector in ! )

Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice work, one thing to make it perfect.
BOttom pic I see copper sticking out of the line that goes no where. COVER IT, wrap it in tape before putting it in the bundle. Or better see if you can get some shrink wrap on it then tape it. Then put it in the bundle. But don't leave that end like that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts