Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased what I was told was the GMPP CAI for my 2007 GXP from an out of state GMPP dealer. When the part arrived I dropped it and my GXP off at the local dealer to handle the install. Apparently they said it wouldn't fit after 95% of the install. Something about the PCV area.

I was shipped Performance Air Intake 19157849 - For use with 2.0L (LNF) engine. After I found the manual online it states that it is for the 2008-2009 Sols.

Has anyone found a way to use this on an 07 GXP?

I'd return it but I couldn't find an 07 GMPP CAI anywhere else online when I searched. I think it may be discontinued although no dealer was able to give me a definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I have it on my 2007 GXP. If I remember right it said it will fit a 2008 or 2009 GXP. I bought mine through Crate Engine. I had them check on it fitting a 2007. They said it would. Had my dealer install. No issues and I love it. As long as it is the GMPP CAI for 2.0 turbo GXP and not an NA you are fine....it will fit.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased mine from Crate Engine as well. The guys there are very knowledgeable and helpful. They concur with what you said that it should fit and work. It's obviously working for you.

I'm going to try to do the install myself and see if I run into the problem the dealer had.

Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I tried the install last night. The problem is the stem on the pipe has a .400 diameter. The existing plastic stem that the quick connect fits on measures about .370 diameter. I need to find a way to shrink the diameter on the new aluminum stem that is welded to the tub with elbow bends.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
So I tried the install last night. The problem is the stem on the pipe has a .400 diameter. The existing plastic stem that the quick connect fits on measures about .370 diameter. I need to find a way to shrink the diameter on the new aluminum stem that is welded to the tub with elbow bends.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like you need an adapter. Try calling around your local Autozone, Pepboys and describe what you are looking for. I remember seeing plastic adapters at Pepboys for that type of thing in their air intake section of the store. I built my own CAI when I had my 2.4. from scratch using AutoZone products. Now I have a GXP with the K&N Typhoon CAI.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the similar issue with the K&N Kit. The powder coating was too thick, so I cleaned that off with emory cloth and then went a bit farther and it fits now, but tight. The K&N kit also is listed for 08 and up, so not sure if 07 is really unique or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sanded down the stem on the pipe and then polished it up and it fit.

The issue I am having now is a quacking or knocking type sound when I left off the throttle and the turbo whines down.

Is this sound normal or have others experienced this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I sanded down the stem on the pipe and then polished it up and it fit.

The issue I am having now is a quacking or knocking type sound when I left off the throttle and the turbo whines down.

Is this sound normal or have others experienced this?

Yours "quacks", mine "burped", that's why I went back to the stock setup.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Mine sounds like someone strangling a turkey!

Makes you realize how clever the factory designers of the original complex intake box were to completely eliminate that noise without any restriction!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Mine sounds like someone strangling a turkey!

Makes you realize how clever the factory designers of the original complex intake box were to completely eliminate that noise without any restriction!
That's what mine sounds like also!!! I have grown to love it. I will take her for an extra special cruise this CDN Thanksgiving ( FYI for our friends in the USA it is this weekend) gobble, whoosh, gobble!!!!:thumbs::lol::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's what mine sounds like also!!! I have grown to love it. I will take her for an extra special cruise this CDN Thanksgiving ( FYI for our friends in the USA it is this weekend) gobble, whoosh, gobble!!!!:thumbs::lol::thumbs:
Mine made that sound as well until the install of the GT 2871!!!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yep, love the sound but he guy that owned it before and wanted to trade even for my stock air box certainly didn't. :willy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts