Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

GMPP or Saab Brake Fluid Reservoir (Extra Capacity) 93172093 WANTED

4K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  The Ikon 
#1 ·
I was going to order the GMPP/Saab Brake Reservoir Part #93172093 that 4501Safari and wmf246 hunted down back in 2019 but procrastinated, then Covid19 hit and that project was forgotten.

Until last week when I saw that a SCCA Track Night was scheduled near me and I looked at my "Do Before the Next HPDE" list. "Bigger brake reservoir" was at the top of the list and I checked eSaab.com and the reservoir is backorderd.

If anyone has a GMPP/Saab brake reservoir kit #93172093 with new grommets, I will happily buy it from you and pay to have it shipped to me. If you have a cap and the fluid level thing that 4501 Safari mentions, I'll buy those too.

Please PM me.

4501 Safari said in the thread. GMPP brake reservoir photos needed...10/29/2018

"Just got confirmation the 93172093 brake reservoir, (GMPP piece) is available and I have one on the way to me as I type this. Notice the attached photos. It comes complete with the reservoir, new heavy cap, fluid level installed and two new grommets."

See less See more
#2 ·
An amazing blast from the past...Everything comes complete with the reservoir. You only need to get the part number listed. If Matt at eSaab.com can get it, he will. Great person to deal with, high integrity. Good luck.

Now, someone help me find the passenger side 2010 Opel GT "Big Mirror" for my GXP
. I can make that mod happen for a Solstice.

Richard Snipes

#3 ·
I have had good luck getting them used on eBay from Europe, but right now it looks like the only ones listed also include the master cylinder and booster, which drives the asking price up to ~$100.

#5 ·
I tried to contact eSaabParts but never got a reply in Dec 2020. So I bought a whole MC (but not booster) unit from eBay Europe. It took about 6-7 weeks to arrive, including sitting in a warehouse for 5 weeks (not exaggerating) but the tracking info was legit, it finally arrived. There was someone on this board that said they bought one but never installed it, I contact him and still didn't install but wasn't willing to sell it. Maybe you can convince him?
Best of luck.

#6 · (Edited)
I found a Seattle Saab dealer that was able to order the large reservoir from his European distributor. He said orders usually arrived in 30 days.

To increase my chance of getting one, I also found one at a dealer in Europe and ordered it. They are shipping via DHL and estimate was 4 to 30 working days. It was over $100 for the part and shipping. Shipping was about 50% of the invoice.

Will see which one arrives first.

I'll sell the second reservoir.

#20 ·
Received a package from Germany today.

Camera lens Gadget Font Technology Electronic device

My Saab brake reservoir!

Packing materials Plastic bag Toy Cable Plastic wrap

Schwedenteile.de in Germany beat the local Saab dealer delivering a reservoir. They shipped on March 3 and I received it 3 weeks later. I am pleasantly surprised since I expected it to take at least a month with the situation in Europe and shipping issues in the US.

I was told by both Saab dealers that a cap was not included so I ordered one. This one came with a cap. And the OEM cap is the same cap. I ordered the grommets separately since the reservoir did not come with any.

The Saab reservoir did not include the level sensor. I took the one off the OEM reservoir and it fit the Saab but inserted from the other side of the reservoir. Anyone know how the sensor detects fluid level from the exterior of the reservoir?

Got it installed in less than an hour following ConeHugger01's detailed instruction and the factory manual. Thanks ConeHugger01!

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Filled it with fluid, pumped brakes a couple times, went for a test ride and brakes worked fine without bleeding.

#7 ·
I already had a member contact me about buying the second reservoir, if and when it arrives.

Who wants a 93172093 brake reservoir?

If enough interest, I'll order several which I'm hoping will reduce the shipping fee on each reservoir.

The cost for one reservoir, cap and grommets is $59 USD. Shipping for 1 reservoir is $51. $110 total.

Reply here if interested and I'll add to the order on Monday.

#8 ·
I already had a member contact me about buying the second reservoir, if and when it arrives.

Who wants a 93172093 brake reservoir?

If enough interest, I'll order several which I'm hoping will reduce the shipping fee on each reservoir.

The cost for one reservoir, cap and grommets is $59 USD. Shipping for 1 reservoir is $51. $110 total.

Reply here if interested and I'll add to the order on Monday.
I'm down for one!

#12 · (Edited)
Scan West, a former Saab Dealer, who is now an independent shop in Seattle can order the reservoir. Takes about a month by container.

Call Craig at 206 789 2819 to place your order.

Prices quoted are:

Reservoir 93172093 $67.30
Cap 93189060 $8.67
Grommets 90509681 $10.73

The cap and grommets no longer come with the reservoir.

My European Source is https://schwedenteile.de/ and my contact there via email is Tim info@schwedenteile.de

The parts from them may come sooner than Scan West since they are shipping with DHL

Total with shipping is $132 for the part numbers posted above.

The second reservoir that I ordered has been requested by a member who PM'ed me.

#14 ·
#16 ·
It hold about 20% more fluid, but the big difference for me was the placement of the fill cap, flat on top not angled towards the front, it cured a leaking issue when I autocrossed the car.

Reactions: agent008
#17 ·
Questions about installing the reservoir:

Can the reservoir be removed without taking the master cylinder out of the car?

To remove the reservoir, remove fluid, pull the roll pin out and pull the reservoir out?

Install new reservoir with new grommets, reinstall pin.

Fill with fluid. Does the master cylinder need to be bled?

Am I missing anything?

#18 ·
@agent008 That is exactly what I did - left the MC on the car, just replaced reservoir.
Put down a bunch of rags below the MC to catch fluid.
Siphon out all the fluid you can. If manual trans, take off the clutch line and catch the fluid from the side port, put a stopper on it if you can.
Then remove pins/bolts/sensor.
GENTLY rock it off and lift it up to remove. The grommets may or may not come off with it.
Check fluid level in the MC before putting the new MC on. As in, I might have put just an eyedropper of brake fluid in them to be sure they were not too low at this point.
Carefully put new MC on, pushed on far enough to maybe feel it seat? And putting the bolts back on of course you know it's far enough.
Replace clutch line.
Slowly fill new reservoir.
Tap it a bit or vibrate it a little to get bubbles to rise to top. It's a multi-chamber thing so be slow and careful to not overfill, watch the fluid going to the clutch cavity which is the furthest one from the cap. I had to overfill a little to make it go to that last chamber.
Wipe down with Brakeleen to clean up.

I did not do a brake bleeding at that time, seemed OK as I did not think any air would be in the MC.

#19 ·
X2, but I did bleed the brakes, just because it never a bad thing to do.

#26 ·
The cap seals fine but the brake fluid, when it gets hot on a track, expands and if the cap is not on tight will seep out. Tightning the cap too much will crack it.

The additional air space in the larger reservoir allows more room for the fluid to expand.

#27 ·
Received the second brake reservoir today from the local Saab dealer; Scanwest Autosports in Seattle.

It arrived approximately 7 weeks after the reservoir from Germany arrived on March 24.

Both reservoirs were ordered on February 26, 2022 in anticipation for a HPDE coming up.

I ordered two from different sources to guarantee delivery by April 28th, which was the track day. Good thing I did not rely on the local dealer .

The local dealer quoted around $90 at the time I ordered. It ended up being $133 after Sales Tax and freight of $26.

The reservoir from Germany was $132 total.

I'm selling the second reservoir to a forum member who contacted me in February.

Attachments

#28 ·
Received the second brake reservoir today from the local Saab dealer; Scanwest Autosports in Seattle.
Are you gonna use both of those? :cool:

I found a used Saab one I will fit soon if I can't find new.

But seriously, is this something that could be made with a 3D printer? Not that I have that capability.

Reactions: agent008