Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a few of these threads for other areas can't find a good So. Cal thread. Anyone have a good dealer recommendation to get the GMPP Stage Kit Upgrade & Tune? I'm having dealers give me quotes of $650+ just for labor which seems insane, considering most people seem to be getting for $150 or lower for installation and flash. Plus it would be nice if the dealer had some experience installing one already, might be able to trust their quote more. Anyone anyone? OC/LA area but I could expand the area a lil if necessary.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bump

I'd like to know a good LA-area dealer for this as well!

If you can't find anyone, try Martin Cadillac on the west side, it's around Bundy and Pico, they're good people.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure if you want to drive out to the IE but I got mine installed at Lake Buick Pontiac GMC in Lake Elsinore for $99. I got my kit off of EBay and the local dealer here in Temecula was quoting me $600+ for the install also. I told them they had obviously never installed the kit before but he swore they had and it would take them several hours to it, hence the $600.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
rydell in van nuys did my kit for an hour and a half labor which was about 150. I was the first car they did so im sure they are better at it now. Theyve always been pretty good with my car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'd like to know one from the south orange county area as well... laguna beach, irvine, aliso viejo, lake forest area..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MarkRat

The drive to Lake Elsinore could be quite fun with Ortega highway. I may look into that. Thanks for the info guys. How do you like your kits?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The only thing that I can suggest is to get a copy of the instructions to the dealers so that they can get a better understanding of the scope of the work to be performed.

Good luck! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
rydell in van nuys did my kit for an hour and a half labor which was about 150. I was the first car they did so im sure they are better at it now. Theyve always been pretty good with my car.
Rydell. I'd forgotten about them. That's where I got my first Solstice - an '07 Mysterious NA. They were good to deal with then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GMPP tune install

So no one else has anymore suggestions?
If you're still looking for help on this I can do it for you. I'm heading down to SoCal in a month from now and I can bring my equipment with me. I can do the reflash for you with my MDI and access to GM SPS. Actually it would be great if there were others that were interested too. I can get the new GMPP calibration for your car updated beforehand (see below) so that the upgrade can be done on the weekend if the kit has been purchased already. I have two kits

I had the same problem up here in Nor Cal a year ago, all the dealers either knew nothing about it or were way over charging. I used to be an engineer at GM Powertrain and I can tell you first hand that dealer training is often very poor from the service advisor level. Some of the experienced technicians are very good, but you never get to talk to them.

All of the Saturn and Pontiac dealers were total jerk offs and had no clue even if I told them exactly what needed to be done. So I when I went back to MI and acquired the tools that I needed and did the upgrade myself. I know all this because I have the Tech 2 and the GM MDI and I've installed the GMPP upgrade a year ago on my 2008 Sky Redline and my friend's Cobalt SS last weekend.

You can do some searching which will basically tell you the same thing but since I have firsthand knowledge in this, I'll summarize it.

An experienced person can do it in 1 hour if they are using the GM MDI tool and if they are quick in swapping out the sensors, the sensors are the easy part.

The first step is to get the new GMPP engine calibration for your VIN.

The calibration file MUST BE downloaded from the GM servers for your VIN. When you buy the GMPP kit, there is an access code which the dealer MUST submit to GM along with your VIN, no tickey no washy. Note that this step can only be done during normal GM business hours and GM charges a separate $75 (last time I checked) to do that. This is why your friendly dealers tell you that this cannot be done on the weekend. GM then will update the official calibration history for your VIN with the valid GMPP calibration. This is required from a federal emissions compliance standpoint. Since this now in the official calibration history of your vehicle, if there is anything were to go legitimately wrong with your ECM and it required replacement under warranty that calibration is the only one that would be available. Once it's done anyone with access to GM SPS (the service to download GM calibrations) can access the new calibration for your VIN. That $75 is NOT included as part of the GMPP kit itself, but is factored in to the dealer's quote to complete the install. Some people have been lucky enough to not get that $75 billed to their upgrade, but the dealer does get charged. The people that only had to pay their dealer $100-$150 are those lucky bastards.

Now the dealer has to download that calibration and reflash your vehicle's computer.

An experienced dealer can do it in 1 hour if they are using the GM MDI tool because it is can reflash the ECM in a fraction of the time and you don't need to update the tool. However, many dealers are still using the Tech2 since they have more experience with it. If the dealer is using the Tech 2, it will take alot longer because the technician may have to update the software on the Tech 2 itself and then download the calibration from the GM servers to the Tech 2. The technician then has to take the Tech 2 to the car and reprogram the ECM, the Tech 2 is WAAYY slower in reprogram the ECM compared to the MDI. This is why alot of dealers are quoting this job as a 1.5 -2.0 hours job, it really can take that long if the Tech 2 scan tools are being used on other jobs in the shop.

I also have the tool that allows me to repin all the connectors vs. splicing the wires so that the new sensors look totally stock. I'll dig out my pictures or retake some new ones.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Man, I wish that you were coming to Texas!! I'd get you to do mine in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I also have the tool that allows me to repin all the connectors vs. splicing the wires so that the new sensors look totally stock. I'll dig out my pictures or retake some new ones.
Are those basically just Molex pins? God I wish I'd thought of doing that... Oh well, at least I soldered my connections and shrink wrapped, so it still looks stock (with all white wires, unfortunately)

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you really wanted to, you could sent me your ECM, I could use my car as a slave to get the calibration installed on the ECM and then send it back to you. You would have to install the sensors yourself. I can email you the install instructions for the kit, it's not that hard. I also think I have the instructions for taking out the ECM if you need that.

PM me for details.

I also have a 2008 Redline, it is exactly the same as yours, except mine is Silver and I have the 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are those basically just Molex pins? God I wish I'd thought of doing that... Oh well, at least I soldered my connections and shrink wrapped, so it still looks stock (with all white wires, unfortunately)
No, they're not standard Molex connectors, they're special BOSCH connectors and the you need a special crimping tool that cost big money. Otherwise you may get corrosion and intermittent contact will which will set codes and rack up some diagnostic time. I went to school with someone who's now works at BOSCH back in MI.

It took me 2 months to get the special extractor tool and crimper but it's worth it to me.If you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and nut. I don't like the dealer monkeys touching my ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts