Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 07 last month and can't quit spending money on this thing! New tires, New top, venom brace, backbone and probeam... Getting gmpp tune tomorrow and fingers crossed that dealership knows how or still has equipment to do this. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
What are they going to charge you for the tune at the dealership?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ran that tune from 2009 to this spring. You will enjoy the noticeable increase in power. If you have an manual, learn No Lift Shift; it makes a big difference.

Safe, proven, reliable, fun. Great combination.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Have it in both my Sols. Love it. Labour should be around 1 hour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was charged $125 for the install...looking forward to some no lift shift action.. Any advice or just floor it and trust? Haven't had much seat time but it is a noticeable difference even driving around town after work tonight..

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was charged $125 for the install...looking forward to some no lift shift action.. Any advice or just floor it and trust? Haven't had much seat time but it is a noticeable difference even driving around town after work tonight..
NLS only works between 6000 RPM and red line. Edit to add: And, I believe, only in Comp Mode and full nanny-off mode.

Red line and fuel cutoff, with the GMPP tune, is 6500 in 1st and 2nd, and 6250 in 3-5.

So as long as you are WOT and between 6000 and red line, you just push in the clutch and shift, with your right foot still mashing the accelerator.

This is more difficult than it sounds if you, like me, have decades of "first release throttle, then press clutch pedal" training.

The other difficult thing, especially with the stock exhaust, is knowing when you are above 6000- the car is quiet and it goes from 6000 to 6500 very fast. If you are looking to make it easier, I highly recommend a high flow cat and Solo Street Race exhaust :D

Bonus: With the 6500 RPM red line in 2nd, you can now get to 60 MPH before you hit fuel cutoff. Supposedly makes it a 4.9 0-60 car. If that's of interest.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice-i have a manual 14 vette too with a a&a supercharger kit... There was a lot of talk on the corvette forums saying nls is available for it too but I've never been brave enough to try it... I will try it on my Solstice- love this car, wish I would've got one a long time ago.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's been easy for me to do incorrectly, for reasons mentioned, but I don't remember anything worst that missing a shift and hitting the rev limiter. Remember, it was an on-warranty GM-approved upgrade; I don't think they'd have done it if it wasn't pretty safe.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
For the price, why GMPP? There are no Solstices under factory warranty.

Also, why pigtails? The plug-and-play connectors are nearly the same price, and you don't have to trust the soldering skills (really, crimping, which is just fine if done correctly, much like soldering) an overworked tech who's trying to get a job done under book hours so that he can compensate for the jobs that take WAY over book hours. Performance Autowerks makes a *phenomenal* tune and has gthe best customer service I've ever encountered in any field.

Shrug. To each their own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I mis spoke-they were the plug and play connectors. Maybe I wasted some money-for my use i think I'll be happy,won't be the first time I've spent money on car parts when other maybe better options available...shrug

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
@Knote Then, awesome!

The GMPP tune isn't bad - it's an awesome upgrade over stock. No judgement here.

A lot of people use the term "pigtail" to refer to the cables that are available. I'm just pedantic. (Pigtail really means a cable that has a connector on one end and unterminated wires on the other end. Typically wound up in a spiral and taped together at the factory, thus the term: pig tail.)

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Think about using NLS....the clutches are a weaker part of the transmission in these cars.... just a warning if you don't mind spending $2500 on a clutch. And since I haven't introduced myself yet....I'm the "negative nelly" of the forum.... I'll tell you not to do something because it'll cost you more money most of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Think about using NLS....the clutches are a weaker part of the transmission in these cars.... just a warning if you don't mind spending $2500 on a clutch. And since I haven't introduced myself yet....I'm the "negative nelly" of the forum.... I'll tell you not to do something because it'll cost you more money most of the time.

Okay, man - how on earth does one spend TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS on a clutch?!?! My whole car was only $6500. (Not counting the subsequent $15k in "must haves"...)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
NLS shift is nice. I used it once. Big deal. Novelty 99.9999% of the time, but features are nice.

I enjoyed the GMPP tune a lot. Probably going to do it again.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Okay, man - how on earth does one spend TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS on a clutch?!?! My whole car was only $6500. (Not counting the subsequent $15k in "must haves"...)
You should see how much some people have invested just into brakes! :surprise:

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I had the GMPP tune for a few weeks after I bought my car (new) until the day after it came off warranty, when I installed a Trifecta tune that gave whole bunch more. I'd have gone straight to the second tune if warranty hadn't been an issue, but many are happy with the GMPP forever after.

I'd forget about the no lift shift unless you are manic street racer or do bracket racing on weekends.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
You should see how much some people have invested just into brakes! :surprise:

Yeah. My brakes were a little over $3200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts