Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
But, the spec clutch and aluminum flywheel were about a grand IIRC. Nowhere near $2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
But, the spec clutch and aluminum flywheel were about a grand IIRC. Nowhere near $2500.

Dealer world.....about 15-18 hours IMSMC..that's over $2k at most dealerships right there...let alone parts. And IMSMC I remember parts at the dealer level were about $800 for just the clutch kit...that wasn't bearing, slave or anything to do with the flywheel....

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
.about 15-18 hours IMSMC
Well, thar's yer problum'.

Remove shifter, lift car, remove starter, disconnect hydraulics and wiring harness, remove catback, remove driveshaft, support transmission, remove engine-to-transmission bolts, remove transmission mount bolts, slide it back and drop it. Remove pressure plate bolts, and clutch, remove flywheel bolts and flywheel. Installation is the reverse of removal, plus bleeding and minimal first aid time.

I can see that being a ~10 hour job on a lift, but 18? :/

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
That's GM book time. And I haven't been at it found a dealer yet across the country that doesnt go by book time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's GM book time. And I haven't been at it found a dealer yet across the country that doesnt go by book time.
"Book time" for automotive repair has to be in the all-time top five list of consumer rip-offs. I know almost all bill this way, but sheesh, what a disingenuous way to treat customers: "We bill by the hour, but not the actual hours we work on your car...imaginary hours from a book of fiction."

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
"Book time" for automotive repair has to be in the all-time top five list of consumer rip-offs. I know almost all bill this way, but sheesh, what a disingenuous way to treat customers: "We bill by the hour, but not the actual hours we work on your car...imaginary hours from a book of fiction."
You should probably do a bit of research before you make a nonsense statement like that. Do you even know how these "hours" are created for book time? You probably have no clue. Do you know that they take an experienced tech, and a brand new vehicle to calculate this? So the bolts come out easy...there's no rust and no chance of spinning a head off a bolt. His tools are all the best in the industry and are are layed out in perfect order and most are provided for him and it usually includes an assitant to help him with tools. Then they start a stop watch when he picks up his first tool. They don't stop till he stops. They do add a bit of a cushion...but it's nominal. Of course this time they create doesn't include time to work on your nasty, rusted, bolt broken off, stripped out vehicle. These are brand new, right off the assembly line vehicles. So in the dealership, if the book time says it takes 12.5 hours...he might finish in 10, he might take 20. And he doesn't get paid for the extra 7.5 hours it took him to drill out that broken bolt and rethread it.... Sure, there are some super techs that turn 60+ hours working 40 hours, but in all of the dealerships I've been in in my career (over 250!!) I've met 3 that are capable of this. I've also seen shop time (true time) from shops in Europe....you don't want shop time...trust me. Because shop time starts when they punch the clock on your car and punch the clock when they're done with your car. It includes their bathroom breaks, coffee...running to the parts counter...training to fix your issue, etc. Let's not even get into the fact that techs have to spend $50k+ for their own tools because the dealer doesn't provide them for them. And then there are the medical issues with cuts, smashed fingers, bad backs and hips these guys all have later in life. Or better yet, a tech I saw carried away by ambulance because a scalding hot radiator blew the cap off and gave him burns all over his entire body. His face melted off in front of me. And then there is cancer because they're working with something that causes cancer almost every day. So why don' you try and take an unknown possible 5%, 20%, 40% pay cut from what you should be paid each week... If they don't turn 40 hours that week because of a stuck bolt, their kids might not eat. Oh...and by the way, warranty time is even less. So remember that next time you take your car in for a warranty repair.

·
Registered
947 Posts
FWIW, I have personally known mechanics that beat the book consistently, but you might not approve of their methods...

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
@The_Ghost

I’ve heard the same thing regarding how book hours are calculated from a friend who is a Mercedes tech. (He said they do it three times, though, and take the average.) and, you’re right: the job is risky, both medically and financially.

But, I’m having trouble rectifying that with the idea of 15-20 hours for a clutch on these cars. The thing just isn’t that complex. I’ve done a clutch on jack stands in far less time. Swapping an entire engine in this car doesn’t take 20 hours.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Brethren,
I have too many memories in the past of friends trying to power shift without using the clutch with disastrous results to show for So for me it's, clutch, shift,release .

:surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
NLS still uses the clutch. You just don’t lift off of the throttle.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
@The_Ghost

I’ve heard the same thing regarding how book hours are calculated from a friend who is a Mercedes tech. (He said they do it three times, though, and take the average.) and, you’re right: the job is risky, both medically and financially.

But, I’m having trouble rectifying that with the idea of 15-20 hours for a clutch on these cars. The thing just isn’t that complex. I’ve done a clutch on jack stands in far less time. Swapping an entire engine in this car doesn’t take 20 hours.
IMSMC the GM shop manual calls for dropping the rear end and loosening the motor mounts to tilt the motor to get at that top trans bolt. I can't remember and I don't have access to it anymore.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Brethren,
I have too many memories in the past of friends trying to power shift without using the clutch with disastrous results to show for So for me it's, clutch, shift,release .

:surprise:
serious drag racers use modified synchros to do it with no clutch, 'normal' street racer folks use a clutch and pray they don't shift before the clutch is in; it was called 'speed shifting' in my day

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
IMSMC the GM shop manual calls for dropping the rear end and loosening the motor mounts to tilt the motor to get at that top trans bolt. I can't remember and I don't have access to it anymore.
Yeah, it also says to remove the LH axle to swing the diff sideways to disconnect the driveshaft. Not necessary, BUT... The FSM for this car is very good compared to others I've encountered. However, some things it says to do are a little silly. Motor mounts are two 15mm nuts. I've removed them to replace the AC compressor, downpipe and a few other things. Takes 5 minutes, half of which is finding the socket.

I don't really suspect a conspiracy here. I'm sure there is a reason the book hours are that high. I just can't figure out what it might be.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts