Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
This is kinda what I was talking about with the GM badge on all cars graying the line.
The biggest move, pairing up Pontiac, Buick, and GMC dealers, has been in the works for some time and is now being accelerated. Most of the dealers selling those divisional brands already carry all three. This will allow GM to get rid of redundant models without angering dealers, who are constantly asking for more vehicles to sell.
Once they're all together as one selling unit, and people see them more often together as one they'll start thinking and seeing them as one. So as this says they can start getting rid of brands shared across the 3 but people really wont notice as much anymore because they're on the same dealer lot and there's a badge engineered version under a different GM monichar.

The following part supports that idea as well. However it doesn't really sound like they would phase out brands, but more of a phase together. The new PonuickMC devision, with each part of it covering different vehicles. Pontiac the pizzazz cars, buick the luxury models, and GMC the real work vehicles. Instead of having sporty Buicks, and luxury Pontiacs.

"BMW FOR POOR PEOPLE." Plans to consolidate GM's huge and overlapping lineup of cars and trucks also are under way. Big Pontiac sedans like the Grand Prix and Bonneville are mostly just overstylized versions of the Buick LaCrosse and forthcoming Lucerne sedans. The bigger Pontiacs will go away, sources say, leaving Buick to sell big, comfy cars. When all of the dealers are paired up, GM could get rid of a minivan, since Pontiac and Buick each produce one. Says a GM spokesman: "The days of Pontiac selling one of everything are over."

Instead, GM may finally give Pontiac some pizzazz. Later in the decade, the brand could get a small, sporty car built on a version of the Pontiac Solstice roadster chassis. "That could be a BMW 3-Series for poor people," says John Wolkonowicz, an analyst with Global Insight in Boston. "It's a really good position for Pontiac."
I think it's a good idea. Because to someone like me in my mid 20's who didn't live in the hay-days of Pontiack or Buick meaning something they're just badge-engineering houses of other GM products to me that have no soul or purpose for me to buy them over Chevy.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense to have 3 different things under one roof, GMC for trucks, Buick for luxury and Pontiac for sporty cars. There is a ton of saving just chopping off the excess things like where every division has 3 SUVs or Pontiac selling really big cars.

Interesting angle on the legal aspect of if you some day have to kill a division the dealerships still have 2 left.

·
Registered
268 Posts
my thing is some people like the grang prix and not the the buic moddle. maybe 1 or u cars but they need a little diferance in stlying to pull in more people.
i love the stlying on the alero but i think the grand am is to flashey and the chevy and buic moddle is ugly

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
slowandlow said:
my thing is some people like the grang prix and not the the buic moddle. maybe 1 or u cars but they need a little diferance in stlying to pull in more people.
i love the stlying on the alero but i think the grand am is to flashey and the chevy and buic moddle is ugly
See over time people will forget all about that. Especially the younger crowd to whom Pontiac or Buick mean a bunch of nothing to at this point. Toyota is smacking the crap out of GM and it's got a whopping 3 devisions (and one of those just being invented last year). They don't need a massive array of brands to bring buyers in and differentiate products. Ford gets by with technically just Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln , all the other brands they have under them they pretty much bought and weren't developed by them. All the other Ford devisions still maintain their own identity too. Volvo, Mazda, Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover. There's no real badge engineering between say Volvo and Land Rover, or Mazda and Aston Martin. However if Pontiac, Buick, GMC were under the same roof you could look at 3 'different' SUVs and wonder why they all look the same except for their name plates.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I certainly understand the intentions, and on paper they sound fine. However, they just don’t sound like something GM will accept.

GM does not like low volumes from brands or nameplates. They would get both in this plan. Pontiac selling small cars only? Even if they were sporty and profitable, the volumes would be so low that GM would begin to overlook them, and concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

This really isn’t a plan to specialize. It’s a plan to phase out brands. That is fine if its what they really want to do.

As for buying out franchises, maybe GM is better off to buy out those franchises and cut down on their dealership network. If only GM could get their traditional franchises to operate more like Saturn’s dealers.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
See over time people will forget all about that. Especially the younger crowd to whom Pontiac or Buick mean a bunch of nothing to at this point.
Exactly. GM cannot afford to just cut a division right away, since it will scare away long time loyal buyers. However, in 10 to 15 years, the history of each division really won't matter anyway, since the loyal buyers who are buying in part on history will no longer be driving.

As you said previously, people our age just remember GM brands as a poor exercise in brand engineering, and few would really mind if GM cut the number of brands back.

However, for GM, they have to do it gradually to balance their long time loyal buyers who put a lot of stock in their brands, to the younger generation who sees their many brands as a negative.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Found this news today thought it might be of interest in mapping GM's future.
gminside said:
Camaro clone on GM's wish list

Automaker works on rear-wheel-drive platform for new generation of vehicles.

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

General Motors Corp. is working on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that could be the basis for a vehicle reminiscent of the departed Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird sport coupes.

"We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel drive," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Tuesday at the Society of Automotive Engineers' 2005 World Congress.

In March, GM suspended plans to bring out a new generation of rear-wheel-drive vehicles for the North American market, citing uncompetitive costs.

The new platform -- known internally as Zeta -- served as the underpinnings for the popular Buick Velite concept car that debuted on the 2004 auto show circuit.

Jim Queen, GM vice president of global engineering, told The Detroit News in an interview this week that the automaker is now working on a rear-wheel-drive platform that would be more cost-effective, and could result in a Camaro-like vehicle.

"There's a Camaro hook in all of us," Queen said. "It may not be a Camaro, but there's a lot of us inside our company and outside our company that feel very passionate about it."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosin.../B01-148937.htm

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Motortrend this month hinted at another rear wheel drive platform that could ressurect the Camaro/Firebird that is being explored by GM too, labeling it "beta."

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The "beta" platform label is coined at GMI, I think. There is no official "beta" platform, or the GM folks I talked to about it - every one to a tee - has really practiced "blank look".

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It could have been.... :lol:

The real irony about this motortrend issue, is that the report of a RWD beta platform was part of a report on all the great Zeta cars we would be seeing, including drawings of the next GTO! :lol: Oops, they hit newstands just after GM announced Zeta was being moved to the back burner! :willy: :glol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts