Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GMS Info - Real Deal - Final Word

Well, almost final word, I'm working on it. Here's the story and what I've found out...

Ordered my car, got GMS price through family member (Family First program)

Got a call a week later - dealer can't honor GMS price,even though Ihave it in writing. reason: They say that "Solstice is not eligible under the GMS plan".

BS, see here:
https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gm.../html/ff_vehicle_eligibility_05.html#2006list

I spoke with someone in the Family first program at GM - 800-235-4646, prompt 1, prompt 1, prompt 4

They ASSURED me that The Solstice is eligible.

They said that a dealer can elect NOT to participate in the program as a whole, but (and this is very important) CAN NOT EXCLUDE SPECIFIC ELIGIBLE VEHICLES JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!

Good, right? wait.

Then I called Pontiac - 800-762-2737 to verify this.

They were very helpful, I explained the situation and they called my dealer and spoke with the general manager. Who basically told him..

"I can choose not to sell the car at the GMS price, even though it is eligible, because it's 'in demand', and I can sell it to someone else for more".

D**khead.

Mind you, my wifes family has bought 10 cars from this dealer ov er the past 15-20 years and they don't give a damn about "customer loyalty". Greedy bastards, all of them.

Apparently, GM can NOT enforce this. They have no control over their dealers. So basically we should feel "lucky" if we get a car at MSRP and NOT a markup.

I'm so pissed at the dealer right now, but I did NOT cancel my order and I am NOT going to give up this car. I'll fight this until the car is AT the dealer. then I'll decide.

However, I am going to other dealers with my GMS invoice to see if they will honor it and order me a car. I just may have to wait unto 2036 to get one.

My next step is to call/write GM and Pontiac and complain and try and get some type of customer loyalty allowance toward the car (which the dealer HAS TO accept).

Lots of people are getting pissed at GM/Pontiac regarding their handling of this car and someone higher up has to step in at some point. This was supposed to be the "$20k" miracle car for Pontiac, not the $25-$30k pain in the a$$.

Every company likes profits. No company likes bad press (except Microsoft). In this case, bad press won't help the "buzz" on the Sol.

Oh yeah, and I reported all o fthis to Arnold Diaz at CBS News in NY for the "Shame on You" report.

Hey, couldn't hurt, right?

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
It does suck-but there are dealers that will honor the GMS-mine is a GMS order also-and I spoke directly with the CEO/Owner of my dealership, and no problem getting the car with the GMS discount.

·
5,641 Posts
GHM73 said:
I spoke with someone in the Family first program at GM - 800-235-4646, prompt 1, prompt 1, prompt 4

They ASSURED me that The Solstice is eligible.

They said that a dealer can elect NOT to participate in the program as a whole, but (and this is very important) CAN NOT EXCLUDE SPECIFIC ELIGIBLE VEHICLES JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!

Good, right? wait.
How is that Good? You know it is wrong. You have been to the Family First Site and have read the posts here.

And when it comes to GMS (GM Employee Purchase Program), GM can and does control the dealerships (and the buyers for that matter). The dealership is using GM's rules to elect not to allow this sale under the GMS program.

So calm down, forget all the nastyness, language and rudeness. You say you have a signed purchase agreement with a specified price. That is your point of action. Don't get messed up in the "who said what" of phone call centers. There is nothing GM or Pontiac can do to help or change.

You have a priced deal. If so it should be honored. Period.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: Yes
Defend GM: No? Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: N/A

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Small Dealer said:

But it's not being honored, that's the point. And GM says they can not do anythign about it. So what am I to do??

·
5,641 Posts
GHM73 said:
Small Dealer said:
But it's not being honored, that's the point. And GM says they can not do anythign about it. So what am I to do??
Advise the dealership that you have your purchase agreement (because you say you do), their price on the car, your GMS authorization number, your insurance agranged and that you are prepared to pay the agreed upon price, including taxes and fees, when the car arrives (this part really works best if you have the money/financing). Perhaps even sending it in writting, return receipt requested.

It is not a matter for GM to be involved with. It is between you and the dealership.

Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: No

·
Registered
149 Posts
the signed purchase agreement you have with the agreed upon price is a contract....tell your dealer that if he insists on changing the deal now before delivery that you view this as his "defalting on the contract" and you may elect to seek consumer legal advise related to your rights...........................you could start with your local better business bureau and the attourney generals office if it needs to go the next step :willy:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
GHM73 said:
Small Dealer said:

Get yourself one of these.

Remember, the bigger the nail or the bigger the board, the more threatning it is. It also is more effective if the nail has visible rust. :smash:

Good luck...
:glol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The point is this. They told me "GM says the Solstice IS NOT eligible for the GMS discount". That's a FLAT OUT LIE.

As anyone else who has gotten a preliminary order invoice with GMS pricing can attest... the price on the invoice is stated at GMS and MSRP. Since MSRP is on the invoice, I think they'll try use that against me.

I'm just annoyed with the whole thing. What I'm going to to is fight it till the end, but I'm not going to confront them again until my car is in the showroom. I don't trust them not to give it away to someone else on their waiting list. I'm keeping my order.

Then, if need be, I'll make the manager of the dealership look really bad in front of his "customers". At that point I won't care if I get the car or not, as long as he is publicly ridiculed.

I'll make everyone in that dealership know that the general manager is a dishonest man who cares nothing about his customers or honoring the company that makes the cars that he sells to provide himself a living.

Also I would pose this question to this dishonest little worm:

If you wanted to buy a Solstice, would you get the GM discount? Oh, yeah that's what I thought. So you're more important than every other GM employee. right. good attitude.

I don't care if I'm "sinking to his level" or anything like that. Eye for an eye. If he makes me pay more for the car and goes back on his word, I WILL get him right back.

I realize he would do this to anyone and it's not a personal attack on me, but someone has to be the squeaky wheel and stand up for everyone else who is getting screwed in this way. I'm not letting him get away with it.

Sorry for the tirade, I'm just annoyed. I'm sure you can feel my frustration.

·
Registered
572 Posts
GHM73 said:
The point is this. They told me "GM says the Solstice IS NOT eligible for the GMS discount". That's a FLAT OUT LIE.

As anyone else who has gotten a preliminary order invoice with GMS pricing can attest... the price on the invoice is stated at GMS and MSRP. Since MSRP is on the invoice, I think they'll try use that against me.

I'm just annoyed with the whole thing. What I'm going to to is fight it till the end, but I'm not going to confront them again until my car is in the showroom. I don't trust them not to give it away to someone else on their waiting list. I'm keeping my order.

Then, if need be, I'll make the manager of the dealership look really bad in front of his "customers". At that point I won't care if I get the car or not, as long as he is publicly ridiculed.

I'll make everyone in that dealership know that the general manager is a dishonest man who cares nothing about his customers or honoring the company that makes the cars that he sells to provide himself a living.

Also I would pose this question to this dishonest little worm:

If you wanted to buy a Solstice, would you get the GM discount? Oh, yeah that's what I thought. So you're more important than every other GM employee. right. good attitude.

I don't care if I'm "sinking to his level" or anything like that. Eye for an eye. If he makes me pay more for the car and goes back on his word, I WILL get him right back.

I realize he would do this to anyone and it's not a personal attack on me, but someone has to be the squeaky wheel and stand up for everyone else who is getting screwed in this way. I'm not letting him get away with it.

Sorry for the tirade, I'm just annoyed. I'm sure you can feel my frunstration.
You're cutting your nose to spite your face, I would take some of the advice that some of the members gave you and I think you would get your way. That's the way you can get the best of him. If you make him look bad and loose your car I think he would be the winner..

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If it is a signed purchase agreement you legally have him in a pickle, all you need to do is go to the Sales Manager, and say I have your signature on a binding contract, either you can give me the car at the agreed price or you will be talking to my lawyer...
I think someone on here had the same problem and the dealer finally agreed to honor the contract...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I know how you feel I was called friday and told that Swanson Pontiac would not deliver my car to me...because it was not in their best financial interest!!!! My car was sold to someone else for more than MSRP. So today I bought a new car and will wait til the buzz is gone and maybe buy one then. The dealers are not going to lose anything and I feel like I have been raked over the coals. I too wanted to get my car but all the underhanded dealers that are trying to make a buck can make it off of someone else for now. Good Luck ;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
mbwt said:
Well I know how you feel I was called friday and told that Swanson Pontiac would not deliver my car to me...because it was not in their best financial interest!!!! My car was sold to someone else for more than MSRP. So today I bought a new car and will wait til the buzz is gone and maybe buy one then. The dealers are not going to lose anything and I feel like I have been raked over the coals. I too wanted to get my car but all the underhanded dealers that are trying to make a buck can make it off of someone else for now. Good Luck ;)
Did you have a sales contract with them? was it signed by a rep of the dealership.... if so you need to contact GM about this...They could get their franchise pulled, It has happened before, they are tarnishing the GM and Pontiac image even more so than it already is...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mbwt said:

This is precisely why I don't want to make waves at this point. I am going to wait until my car is AT the dealer. Then I'll make him stick to his quoted price.

I don't trust them to hold onto the car for me, even though it's MY car. The "agreement" I have is not really a Purchase agreement, although it may be able to be treated as one. They worked up the price with the options I wanted in their computer which output an invoice with GMS and MSRP. I signed a copy of this ,which they have. No one there signed my copy, but I have it in hand, dealer's business car attached. Who knows, I'm sure they'll "lose" the copy I signed.

Like I said, I'm not making waves until the car is there. Maybe over the next few months, I'll get a better idea or more information. Maybe something good will go my way.

·
5,641 Posts
GHM73 said:
The "agreement" I have is not really a Purchase agreement,.......

No one there signed my copy,.........

Maybe over the next few months,........
That's a horse of a different color.

Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: No
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: Yes

·
Registered
92 Posts
GHM73 said:
This is precisely why I don't want to make waves at this point. I am going to wait until my car is AT the dealer. Then I'll make him stick to his quoted price.

I don't trust them to hold onto the car for me, even though it's MY car. The "agreement" I have is not really a Purchase agreement, although it may be able to be treated as one. They worked up the price with the options I wanted in their computer which output an invoice with GMS and MSRP. I signed a copy of this ,which they have. No one there signed my copy, but I have it in hand, dealer's business car attached. Who knows, I'm sure they'll "lose" the copy I signed.

Like I said, I'm not making waves until the car is there. Maybe over the next few months, I'll get a better idea or more information. Maybe something good will go my way.
I am an actual GM employee (retired) and I am not getting the discount, but at least my dealer was upfront about it. At this point I'm just grateful to be getting MSRP. It really is too bad your dealer lacks the integrity to stand behind his verbal agreement. However, I don't think the document you have described will hold up in court as a contract, without the dealer's signature. I hope you can change his mind.

Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
As someone who has wasted good money trying to make someone else honor an agreement - I discovered that my own sanity is worth more than a few bucks, even after I "won". If you press the issue and go to mediation or arbitration or take formal legal action, the issue will languish for years and you will be the one who loses in the long run - even if you get your money.

The "system" is self protective and self perpetuating. You will never beat it because it thrives on your conflict. The ALJ's and mediators and attorneys and clerks make their living off your conflict like leeches on a farm animal.

I wish I had some good advisors who could have told me to "walk away" - life is just too short.

Try tape recording your story and then play it back a few days later - you may find a different perspective.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

All great advice. I really appreciate this forum. Good to know there's good-hearted people out there.

I may end up having to pay MSRP and I may come tp grips with that. At least I'll have my Sol.

Cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
GHM73 said:
All great advice. I really appreciate this forum. Good to know there's good-hearted people out there.

I may end up having to pay MSRP and I may come tp grips with that. At least I'll have my Sol.

Cheers
I think that is the best thinking. At least you will have your Sol at MSRP. My father in law worked for GM for over 30 years and retired from there. I thought I would be able to get the Employee discount, but I knew it was up to the dealerships and with the number of orders waiting I knew it would be doubtful. On cars that move easily like the Corvette and the Sol it might be awhile before they offer those discounts. I know there are a lot of dealers adding to the MSRP, so if you get the MSRP price and no hastle take the car, enjoy life and go have fun. I wouldn't worry about the cost difference. It's not worth it in the long run. Try to see if they will give you free maintenance for a year or two. Good Luck!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts