Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some research to add to the speculation about possible start of production, and if the plant may be down for both weeks of GM's summer shut down. Based on Automotive News Data Center On-Line Infomation of estimated production GM US & Canadian car-truck assembly plants.

2000:
All down-weeks of 7/3 & 7/10.

2001:
All down-weeks of 7/2 & 7/9.

2002:
All down-week of 7/1.
Week of 7/8:
Limited production in Lansing (Malibu-Grand Am-Alero)
Limited production in Sprin Hill (S series & Vue)

2003:
Week of 6/30:
Limited Production if Mid-Size SUVs
Week of 7/7:
Limited Production of Mid-Size SUVs

2004:
All down-weeks of 7/5 & 7/12.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interesting information. Looks like there is not much precedence for GM building cars during their shutdown week. However, there have been a couple exceptions and the Solstice could possibly be one of them!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Didn't someone report they are not shutting DE down for 2 week this year?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't heard of any plant running during the mandatory vacation week after the holiday week. In our plant, which has no additional down weeks scheduled and production overtime everyday, we only have maintenance personnel in the plant during the two weeks in July.

I would be surprised to find that there was production scheduled for the two weeks in July.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
gmtoolie said:
I haven't heard of any plant running during the mandatory vacation week after the holiday week. In our plant, which has no additional down weeks scheduled and production overtime everyday, we only have maintenance personnel in the plant during the two weeks in July.

I would be surprised to find that there was production scheduled for the two weeks in July.
I wouldn't be surprised, for 2 reasons,

1) They really need to get these cars moving and working those 2 weeks will be to their advantage.
2) Generally shutting down the plant for 2 weeks is for retooling and maintenace. The DE plant has recently been retooled and hasn't been producing may cars, so what would need to be retooled or fixed?

Although, since no one has recived a build date before July 18th, I doubt they are running production. They may just take this time to reengineer the line to fix the fitting issues.

Who knows.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GM News Release Listing Look for 6/30/05 release.

North American Scheduled Overtime/Downtime for Weeks of July 4 & 11, 2005

All U.S. and Canadian facilities will be closed for GM's two-week summer break. Normal production hours will resume the week of July 18, 2005. The next production report will be distributed July 21, 2005.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Small Dealer said:
GM News Release Listing Look for 6/30/05 release.

North American Scheduled Overtime/Downtime for Weeks of July 4 & 11, 2005

All U.S. and Canadian facilities will be closed for GM's two-week summer break. Normal production hours will resume the week of July 18, 2005. The next production report will be distributed July 21, 2005.

I wonder if the line is actually ready for production yet. If it isn't I think that it is fine that they are taking the two weeks to fine tune all the tooling, but if everything is ready to go I think that they should get it going on Tuesday. Why dealy another two weeks. I guess that in the long run it really doesn't matter if they do, but I don't know how much longer my car will last. (Not that GM is going to schedule around me though) Plus, many of the workers had an extended break when they reconfigured the plant for the Solstice. At least I'm guessing that they did.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I wonder if the line is actually ready for production yet. If it isn't I think that it is fine that they are taking the two weeks to fine tune all the tooling, but if everything is ready to go I think that they should get it going on Tuesday. Why dealy another two weeks. I guess that in the long run it really doesn't matter if they do, but I don't know how much longer my car will last. (Not that GM is going to schedule around me though) Plus, many of the workers had an extended break when they reconfigured the plant for the Solstice. At least I'm guessing that they did.
This is just a guess, BUT, they may have to shut down anyway, as the other supplier and accessory plants will be shut down. For example, if the powertrain plant that is making the engines is shut down for 2 weeks, they wouldn't be able to build Solstices anyway (unless they had an inventory of them, but I assume they are essentially using JIT delivery these days). That may go for both in house supplier plants, and independent suppliers too.

So running the plant during the shutdown could cause a ripple effect of other plants and facilities having to be operated too, costing them the opportunity to retool and conduct maintenance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
july shutdown

my source says that Wilmington will be down for one week and start production 11 July. I haven't heard anything to counterdict this yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
bigjon said:
my source says that Wilmington will be down for one week and start production 11 July. I haven't heard anything to counterdict this yet.
Great News.. I better start looking for some cash now :yesnod: :lol:

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If we're wrong, we go to jail---peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it! But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing, Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.

:lurk: :lol:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Small Dealer said:
If we're wrong, we go to jail---peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it! But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing, Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.
Classic! I bought the DVD.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Small Dealer said:

:lurk: :lol:
Who ya gonna call? :willy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts