Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk about getting one of the first 1000 Solsti has gotten me to think about GM's track record with new vehicles.

I've owned 3 new GM cars and each had problems. I'm worried about being one of the first ones to get the car and getting a ton of issues with it. My question for the group is what has GM's track record been like for the latest batch of new cars like the G6, Cobalt, etc... ?

I'm not saying that GM makes bad cars, but I was just wondering what people's experiences have been like.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My most recent experience with a brand new or total redesign vehicle was with 1997 Grand Prix GTP. I ordered the first week of ordering. My car was actually second car to arrive at dealer. Very reliable out of the gate. Fit and finish great overall. Only fit problem I experienced was with seatbelts catching lower portion of seat when entering and exiting. Our 2003 of same car hasn't had that problem. Did go through an ECU but not until 3 years in. Put a total of 140,000 miles on the car. Normal maintenance for the miles and that was it. Even when car was tagged by a stone from an errant lawn mower the primer stayed intact and no rust appeared, we got car repainted at about 111,000. Went through 3 HUD windshields, but that was road hazard and good insurance paid for all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Luc said:
All this talk about getting one of the first 1000 Solsti has gotten me to think about GM's track record with new vehicles.

I've owned 3 new GM cars and each had problems. I'm worried about being one of the first ones to get the car and getting a ton of issues with it. My question for the group is what has GM's track record been like for the latest batch of new cars like the G6, Cobalt, etc... ?

I'm not saying that GM makes bad cars, but I was just wondering what people's experiences have been like.
Wait until all the issues arre resolved. Any new car will have problems the 1st year. The second year is always better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AJC said:
Wait until all the issues arre resolved. Any new car will have problems the 1st year. The second year is always better.
I was one of the first ones to get a PT Cruiser in my town. Aside from regular maintenance, I haven't had any problem with it. In 1989, I bought a 1990 Cavalier Z-24 with the new 3.1 liter engine. It blew up a couple of months later in a blizzard (I had a lot of time to think about the car while walking 4 hours back to my home).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It depends from car to car. I have not seen any major issues with either the G6 or the Cobalt. The worst I have seen on the G6 is some complaints of interior rattles. However, keep in mind that GM has been building cars off those platforms for a while too. Neither have pioneered a new platform or engine.

The Solstice will be all new from the ground up, with a brand new engine under the hood. GM should still have most of the major bugs worked out of them, but being a completely new vehicle I wouldn’t be surprised if a few bugs come up. If you get one of the first 1000, I think you should expect a couple inconveniences with some things that may need repair. People will find issues that did not turn up in testing, and GM will work to sort out those issues. That said, the car should not be an inoperable pile of junk either, and GM has done fairly well with new vehicle launches of late. I wouldn’t let it scare me off. I’d just expect a couple issues, and if they don’t happen I’d be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
What were the other GM cars you had issues with, and what were the issues?
1998 Grand AM GT
The factory alarm system had a mind of its own and would go off in parking lots, in my garage, while I was washing it, etc..
The seat adjustment didn't work.
Lots of noise (springs from the seats).
Cruise control would randomly turn itself on at highway speeds.

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT
Lots of noise
Daytime running lights didn't work
Trunk didn't open.

1990 Cavalier Z-24
Engine blew up within 2 months or so.
Car dealer where I bought it fixed the engine and then charged me for an oil change. GM said that the dealer could do that.
I've never been to that dealership again. I hope they spend the $30 well...​
Temp guage didn't work.
Daytime running lights didn't work.
Power windows didn't work.
It took about 8 trips to two dealerships to fix the problem. GM wanted me to pay for half the costs even though the car was barely 1 year old and had very low milage.​
If the weather got close to 32 F, all doors would freeze
This may not be a big deal in Florida, but it is very bad in Canada.​

I've also owned other GM cars (1981 Pontiac Acadian and 1999 Olds Alero) that I purchased used and didn't have any problems aside from regular wear and tear. Once the various issues got resolved, I grew to really like all of these cars, but it was far too painful to get to that point.

After the Sunfire, I swore that that was my last GM car, but the Solstice won me over with its looks. I was looking into the BMW roadsters when I saw the Solstice a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Fformula88 said:
It depends from car to car. I have not seen any major issues with either the G6 or the Cobalt. The worst I have seen on the G6 is some complaints of interior rattles. However, keep in mind that GM has been building cars off those platforms for a while too. Neither have pioneered a new platform or engine.
The Cobalt is an all new platform, the Delta to be specific.

I haven't seen any major problems with this car, though I know GM has held them at the plant and delayed launch of them. That's the trend now... delay the car (if there is a problem) instead of shipping it and dealing with making customers upset.

I also owned a '99 Alero, which was the first year for those on an existing platform. No real issues with that car either.

I'd rather have a first year model of a car anyway... two years in and you've got all the cost downs from the suppliers in there, and who knows what's been replaced by what cheaper part. Or who had to source something off shore because they needed to give 10% back to the OEM. The first year models have all the parts that went through the initial development testing and durability. From there on it's up to the engineers to decide what changes need testing to proove them out and what changes do not need testing. I'd rather deal with an issue in the first model year, and have it fixed under warranty, then to get a car built from cost down parts 2 or 3 years into the program.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
rlhammon said:
The Cobalt is an all new platform, the Delta to be specific.
Technically no. Cobalt is a new Delta platform car, but GM has been building the Saturn Ion on the Delta platform for a few years now, and I also believe they have been selling a Delta derrivative under the Opel name for a couple years. Drivetrains are also carryover.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Technically no. Cobalt is a new Delta platform car, but GM has been building the Saturn Ion on the Delta platform for a few years now, and I also believe they have been selling a Delta derrivative under the Opel name for a couple years. Drivetrains are also carryover.
Yeah, the Delta platform I believe is the Astra in Euro areas. Many people were extremely dissapointed when the took the lovely Opel car and some how crapped out the ION. If they had just brought the entire body and interior over as it was over there they'd already be one up on their new Euro inspired design, instead of having one more ehhhh styled Saturn.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah, the Delta platform I believe is the Astra in Euro areas. Many people were extremely dissapointed when the took the lovely Opel car and some how crapped out the ION. If they had just brought the entire body and interior over as it was over there they'd already be one up on their new Euro inspired design, instead of having one more ehhhh styled Saturn.
The new Astra is a good looking small car. They should just can the Ion and sell the new Astra to sell in its place. I am sure it would outsell the Ion, which would easily justify the cost of switching the tooling over in Spring Hill.

IMO the Ion suffers one major flaw. The interior. From the tiny bumper car steering wheel (thankfully they dumbed it!) to the center IP cluster (unfortunately they have not killed this), people just were turned off. They did look a little freakish, and are still not that great. I think the Ion Redline is a neat car. The quad coupe has decent exterior styling, the plastic body is a plus in my book, and the rear hinged back doors are very convenient. However, I could never get past the center IP to actually buy the car and I suspect most other people couldn't either.

I think the Ion has managed to give the Delta platform a bad name, but its really not the platform that is bad but what GM attached to the top of it.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
Nope, the Astra in Europe is NOT a Delta. Only the ION and the Cobalt are true Deltas.

The Theta is a first cousin to the Delta, however. As is the Epsilon. The Astra platform is a completely different car platform.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Nope, the Astra in Europe is NOT a Delta. Only the ION and the Cobalt are true Deltas.

The Theta is a first cousin to the Delta, however. As is the Epsilon. The Astra platform is a completely different car platform.
Yeah I went looking after you mentioned that. The Opel/Vauxhall/Holden versions of the Astra were SUPPOSED to be Delta, but apparently that got scrapped for some reason.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
solsticeman said:

Thanks to you and Ff... I tend to forget about Saturn. I think I'm one of the lucky ones since I can block them out of mind. :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
rlhammon said:
Thanks to you and Ff... I tend to forget about Saturn. I think I'm one of the lucky ones since I can block them out of mind. :)
You may not want to block them out too much longer. You may miss the Sky! :lol:

My bad about the Astra too. I have seen them referred to by the automotive press as delta based, but they are good at mixing things up too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts