Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Going from GMPP tune to Trifecta, is it worth the cost?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Exhibit13 
#1 ·
Right now I have the GMPP stage tune 290hp and 340tq but I am looking to get more. My question is what does the trifecta do for HP and TQ, I can't find it listed anywhere. And is it worth it if I already have the GMPP tune or is it just a small enhancement? My list of current mods are below in the SIG.

#2 ·
I've seen dyno graphs of both. looks like the trifecta has a little more HP and a steeper/smoother curve to it. already having the GMPP you may not feel a difference but you will likely see it on a dyno. I would say save your money for something else since you already have a tune.

#3 ·
I agree with Valhalla. So long as the car is the same, that is no new "hot" stuff you should save the buck. I had a GMPP, added a bunch of stuff and then had the Trifecta. Zoom! Use the buck to add a bigger intercooler, [first upgrade] then a low back pressure down pipe and 3" exhaust. HMMMM. Seems you might need trifecta anyway! By the way don't forget the big brakes, the 9 inch rims, larger tires and the "big wheel" mod to the turbo.

See what you have to look forward to?

Sam

#4 ·
IMHO,

FU.CK NO! Have you seen the afr on the tunes? I have personally used trifecta before and from stock to a Trifecta tune is a world of a difference, its also an investment. Do yourself the favor and get someone with Hp tuners that can tailor a tune(see all parameters) to your car. I understand Trifecta is cheaper. All I have to say is don't cheap out with your Sky. You wouldn't do it with maintenance so why are you doing it when modifying the cars computer system?

#5 ·
If you get the regular Trifecta tune it IS a custom tune. The "budget" tune is a canned tune that doesn't allow for data logging. That's the one that you have to be wary of.

There are a lot of good tunes out there. A Wester's tune is another a lot of us are running.

#6 ·
It also depends on what you plan on doing to your car in the future. If you are definitely not going to do any additional mods to the engine/drivetrain. the GMPP tune is ok. If, however, you plan on doing more-or want to get as much as you can out of the engine, the Trifecta tune is the way to go. I went from a GMPP to a Trifecta, and can say firsthand, that there is a considerable difference between the two. With the Trifecta tune you can do logs, that Vince will analyze, and adjust the tune to get the best performance possible-he is truly amazing.

#7 ·
With HPT Anyone can analyze, and everyone has the crucial data to your engine.

If you plan to extensively mod your engine, (beyond a HF Cat/charge tubes and an intake) there are tons of tuners who use HPT, and you will get a better result with HPT. That way you dont have to wait for little tweaks. Also if your tuner vanishes/becomes unresponsive, you can just go to another one.

Also you have the ability to use hpt to diagnose engine issues, read and clear codes yourself, etc.

Too many advantages to HPT. Only disadvantage is the loss of factory warranty, which IMO is about useless anyway.

#8 ·
I would love to do the 3" exhaust but the stock exhaust already drags over driveways and speed bumps, I can only imagine the bigger pipe will drag more.... so that really isn't an option.

The downpipe is something I will probably do soon but my concern is California smog, will that new free flowing cat pass?

Most of the mods I have done this far have been for handling and I got the thing riding like a gocart now, it handed like crap stock. I need to do something with the brakes, the seats, the tranny, next because those are the other points where this car sucks.

I also would like to add power but that wont be for a bit of time. I guess I may do the trifecta but after some power mods. thanks for the tips guys!

BTW to the guy that said the warranty is useless I agree. GM is terrible when it comes to warranty, Because of this the solstice is the first and the last GM product I will ever buy. they just don't seem to care at all and the dealers cause more damage to the cars then they repair because no one knows anything about this car at the dealership! Dodge was super when it came to warranty on my last 12 dodge/Chrysler/jeep/srt vehicles so after this my next car will most likely be another one.

#9 · (Edited)
BTW to the guy that said the warranty is useless I agree. GM is terrible when it comes to warranty, Because of this the solstice is the first and the last GM product I will ever buy. they just don't seem to care at all and the dealers cause more damage to the cars then they repair because no one knows anything about this car at the dealership! Dodge was super when it came to warranty on my last 12 dodge/Chrysler/jeep/srt vehicles so after this my next car will most likely be another one.
interesting experience, my dealership has been absolutely gold, knowing every single thing about the car, handling every claim going beyond expectations.

for that reason I am going to definitely be buying something from their caddy line

my sister has a dodge and they give her nothing but headaches at the dealership, refusing clearly covered issues and nothing but headaches all around

my other sister is a sales person for bmw, some people love their service some people hate them and that's in the same dealership!

I guess dealership and personal relationships are everything

anyway, am enjoying the thread

#10 ·
problem is I have tried multiple service managers at multiple dealers (in fact the first was a Cadillac/buick/former Pontiac dealer) and they have been terrible. Even after I called GM customer care they just showed they don't care (not calling me back as scheduled and promised with answers) No one knew anything. I love the car but I hate the dealer network and GM themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.