Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I relatively new to this forum so I don't know if the topic has been discussed at length. Could someone provide info on where the best passthrough points are thru the Firewall ? If so, what tools are best used to get through. I'm installing 2 gauges/boost controller/turbo timer.

Thanks in advance to those that can help ! :yesnod:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
I am at work and can't get you pictures, but there is a way to go out on both sides of the car at the door.

I passed the wire for door lock button out through the boot where other wires go out for the doors, you should be able to pass your wires out the same way.

If you open the hood and look down on the driver's side with the door closed you should see a bundle of wires going into an "L" shaped plastic covering. Follow these wires back and they form a drip loop and then are wrapped in black tape to a rubber boot. Both ends (outside and under the dash) are wrapped in black tape. (This was fun to get at under the dash...my wife came out and wondered why she could only see my feet on the headrest.)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GO_DRVN !

I'll take a look tonight.....that must have been a tight fit under that dash buddy ! :)

Do you think there will be enough room to pass all that plumbing ? Rubber hose and wiring ? Hope so.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Look for the foil.

When I ran the temp probe for my mirror I found a place on the drivers side. The hole is covered with a piece of foil backed tape. There is a rubber plug under it that you can know out. Depending on how big the leads are you should be able to snake your wires through there.

I relatively new to this forum so I don't know if the topic has been discussed at length. Could someone provide info on where the best passthrough points are thru the Firewall ? If so, what tools are best used to get through. I'm installing 2 gauges/boost controller/turbo timer.

Thanks in advance to those that can help ! :yesnod:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Thanks GO_DRVN !

I'll take a look tonight.....that must have been a tight fit under that dash buddy ! :)

Do you think there will be enough room to pass all that plumbing ? Rubber hose and wiring ? Hope so.

Cheers,
As long as you aren't trying to pass a garden hose you should be OK.

You will definatley need some type of light and probably only use one hand for most of what you can do under the dash, it is a tight fit. Fitting cable ties is a lot of fun with one hand as well as trying to re-wrap the tape.

The panel under the dash has plastic push-pins and velcro to hold it in place, not too difficult to remove. I used a putty knife and had no problem with the pins.

I also pulled the plastic "L" off the car to run my wire, but you shouldn't need to do that. If you had to pass hose through there you would have more trouble since it is a tight, flat fit.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would work also package....may come in handy depending on location.

Thanks bud !

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I ran the temp probe for my mirror I found a place on the drivers side. The hole is covered with a piece of foil backed tape. There is a rubber plug under it that you can know out. Depending on how big the leads are you should be able to snake your wires through there.
That is exactly where I ran the plumbing for my boost controller and wide band O2 sensor.
Very easy and plenty of hole diameter.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I went through on the driver side, behind the ECM where there is existing wiring going through a hole that has a rubber boot on it. I cut a notch in the rubber boot and I have two air tubes and wiring going in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's a couple of pics showing where I ran mine.

You can see the bundle of wires and hoses coming through the firewall (just above the washer fluid cap).

Here's a pic showing where they go through under the dash.
I had to cut a small notch out of the fiber that covers the hole just next to the dead pedal.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Here's a couple of pics showing where I ran mine.

You can see the bundle of wires and hoses coming through the firewall (just above the washer fluid cap).

Here's a pic showing where they go through under the dash.
I had to cut a small notch out of the fiber that covers the hole just next to the dead pedal.
is that dirt or a whole bunch or scatches ?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AZ Sky.....thanks man !

GREAT shots.....seems VERY accesible....so you were able to punch out that hole from the engine compartment ? Can ya get you arm/hand down there ok ? Looks a little tight but do-able :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
AZ Sky.....thanks man !

GREAT shots.....seems VERY accesible....so you were able to punch out that hole from the engine compartment ? Can ya get you arm/hand down there ok ? Looks a little tight but do-able :)
The hole is already there.
It is covered with a small ~4"x5" piece of metal foil that is adhesive backed, just pull off the foil.
There is a plastic plug in the hole that you just push out - it's very easy, took all of about 5 minutes.
I did cut out the middle of the plastic plug and re-inserted it as a grommet.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AZ Sky, would you know what color of wire I should be looking for in the inertior to splice into for the Parking lights ? I need it to power the gauge lighting ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
AZ Sky, would you know what color of wire I should be looking for in the inertior to splice into for the Parking lights ? I need it to power the gauge lighting ?
Gosh, sorry - I can't help you on that one...
My gauges are all LED and dimmed via a photocell, when I wired them all I needed was an ignition switched 'hot' wire from the accessory fuse box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts