Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - All the cars are going to be delivered now because my husband and I decided to go ahead and register for two star parties in our area for 4 days each - long labor day weekend in Iowa and the next weekend after in Illinois - so now the cars will all be built and mine will show up while I'm gone :lol: :lol: :lol:

We've been holding off on registering for the parties, but seeing all the problems and no VIN # yet - I figured we'd be okay - but the way my luck runs........ :( :( :(

·
Registered
193 Posts
What is a "star" party?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ojohnson said:
What is a "star" party?
It's where you take your telescope and all your equipment and go join the other 300 to 1000 idiots and look at the stars all night and compare equipment, go to daily talks, seminars and swap meets, etc. Actually it's really fun! If anyone every has a chance to go to a public viewing by their local astronomy club - it's really quiet cool what you can see through the telescope, especially on a moonless night! It's the only time you can look into the "past". :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny!

ntouched said:
A "Star" Party deals with Tupperware, Amway and Bridge I'm selling in New York......... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
morts01 said:
It's where you take your telescope and all your equipment and go join the other 300 to 1000 idiots and look at the stars all night and compare equipment, go to daily talks, seminars and swap meets, etc. Actually it's really fun! If anyone every has a chance to go to a public viewing by their local astronomy club - it's really quiet cool what you can see through the telescope, especially on a moonless night! It's the only time you can look into the "past". :)
That is pretty cool - especially when you have something special like Hale-Bopp or Halley's to look at.

Do you have a digital imager hooked up to your telescope? I saw a 15 year old girl, she hauled out a computer, the telescope, levelled it off and aligned it, then opened up a program. Then she typed in what she wanted to see, the computer popped up the coordinates, the telescope rotated, and 3 minutes later she was looking at nebulae that I remember straining and looking "sideways" to see.

Kids nowadays. :lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Star party

EMAIL SCAM

Once in a lifetime event!

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is
catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest
approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars
may come this close is in 2287.
Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit,
astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth
in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it
happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest
object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear
25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

By August 27, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the
east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at
nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty
convenient to see something that no human being has seen in
recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see
Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share
this with your children and grandchildren.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, I was looking forward to that, Dont remember it in 2003. Oh well, sorry for posting the fake mail I had been waiting to see.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dcon said:
Once in a lifetime event!

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is
catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest
approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars
may come this close is in 2287.
Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit,
astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth
in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it
happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest
object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear
25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

By August 27, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the
east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at
nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty
convenient to see something that no human being has seen in
recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see
Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share
this with your children and grandchildren.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN!
Isn't this one of the latest internet scams I ercently saw? The "closest encounter" already happened two years ago.

·
Registered
96 Posts
achieftain said:
Isn't this one of the latest internet scams I ercently saw? The "closest encounter" already happened two years ago.

o.K. rub it in, I didnt think to check on this email since what kind of person would it take to try to scam someone about Mars? I was just assuming since they were talking about Star parties this was it. Oh well, since it wont be until October instead, maybe we will all have our cars and can view it while riding around with the top down or is it truly going to happen in October :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mars already did happen

dcon said:
o.K. rub it in, I didnt think to check on this email since what kind of person would it take to try to scam someone about Mars? I was just assuming since they were talking about Star parties this was it. Oh well, since it wont be until October instead, maybe we will all have our cars and can view it while riding around with the top down or is it truly going to happen in October :D
Mars already did happen - 2 years ago - it did look very big - with a telescope and a high powered eyepiece (but I didn't think it was the size of the moon) :lol: . The star parties go on every month during a moonless weekend or week, depending on the people holding the event - Texas has a very large event - over 1000 attendees -

solsticeman said:
Do you have a digital imager hooked up to your telescope? I saw a 15 year old girl, she hauled out a computer, the telescope, levelled it off and aligned it, then opened up a program. Then she typed in what she wanted to see, the computer popped up the coordinates, the telescope rotated, and 3 minutes later she was looking at nebulae that I remember straining and looking "sideways" to see.

Kids nowadays. :lol:
Yes I do - I have a "go-to" telescope and I use my Canon 10D and also just purchased a Canon 20Da to do my imaging. Some use webcams or specialized CCD cameras (around $6000) - I use a hand held device that I can put in "M81" or "moon" etc and boom the scope takes off - My husband - he uses a scope that he has to manually find everything :lol: :lol: . You need the electronic one if you want to do imaging for a long time - Can end up being a very EXPENSIVE hobby - I could sell all my equipment and purchase the car :yesnod: - but I won't - but my husband only has around $500-$600 invested in his. If I wanted to take the time - I can hook up my laptop and let it run the scope instead of my handheld controller - but too many cords running around in the dark!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been a lurker on the list for awhile absorbing all the information and discussions on the Solstice. Just wanted to say that my dad has been into astronomy for years building his own 'scopes from raw glass mirror blanks on up to a finished 'scope. Now retired, he has an observatory in the back yard loaded with an extremely nice purchased scope, clock drive mount and a ton of computers and acessories. Has taken some fantastic film and digital photos. He and my mom take in local star parties in lower Michigan and every year head to the southern tip of Florida for a big annual star party there - invite only. Me, I'm lucky if I can find one of the dippers and an occassional satellite or meteor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts