·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post all your pictures and videos from 8/30/09 here! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

Am I really the only one who saw the resemblance?

!!! A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Do not EVER (and I mean NEVER EVER EVER!!!) Google Joey Buttafuoco with Safe Search turned off. :eek: I just saw things that disturbed even me. My only hope is that they're merely burned into my retinas and not my soul!

Big thanks to Chris for putting this together, Karen for her help and sweeping, and everyone else for their company. I had a great time!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Had a blast! Great run! Thanks Chris for putting this together!

Next year, I'll meet you at the Crab Shack! :lol:

To Karen, you know you're in trouble when you end up behind the sweeper!
And I really thought for a little while there we were going to feed the horses!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanx to all!

Thanks to everyone who made it to the Gold Coast 2 Re-Run! We had great weather and a fabulous turnout (22 cars!).

Shiny, thanks for the runbooks and the new artwork and for anchoring the sweep. Reed, thanx for getting Shiny's back and covering the tougher turns and for just being you. :lol:

Susan Martin, Suze, I am so glad you made it back home all the way to Virginia. You have the current record for the greatest distance anyone has travelled to an LISSC run.

And thanks to everyone for supporting this event and especially those travelling some pretty large distances to do it. All the gang from MASSC making it in from far flung Delaware and the wilds of New Jersey and travelling on ships across from Connecticut, you make it all fun.

I hope we didn't intimidate our newbies. Everyone enjoyed meeting SaturnGirl and dkallner and I hope you'll come back for more. For those of you who couldn't make it, see you next time!

I didn't take as many pictures as I like to on these things, but here is a sample. You can see all of them at my Photobucket album GCRR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gold Coast Run

LilSal and I had a great time yesterday and seeing old friends and meeeting new ones was awesome. I'll be signing up for the September NJ run soon.

Never use Garmin direction when leaving L.I. as it put us into the midtown tunnel only to be put into the Lincoln tunnel (it had us going in circles :willy: for a few minutes before we got our bearings back due to inability to see satellites!) an interesting way to go! (LilSal staring up at BIG buses trying to crush us so that they could get into the tunnel 10 seconds ahead of us). Who needs skyscrapers when you have a Solstice top down between three or 4 Greyhound buses inches away...

But again we both had a really great time and hope to see you all soon. :yesnod:

Sal (BigSal)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never use Garmin direction when leaving L.I. as it put us into the midtown tunnel only to be put into the Lincoln tunnel (it had us going in circles :willy: for a few minutes before we got our bearings back due to inability to see satellites!) an interesting way to go! (LilSal staring up at BIG buses trying to crush us so that they could get into the tunnel 10 seconds ahead of us). Who needs skyscrapers when you have a Solstice top down between three or 4 Greyhound buses inches away...
:yesnod:

Sal (BigSal)
Sal in the land of the giants:

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Glad I didn't follow you home then! :lol:

But it was great seeing you both as always!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
To Karen, you know you're in trouble when you end up behind the sweeper! And I really thought for a little while there we were going to feed the horses!
That's okay, at least I knew where I was going! :lol:

Shiny, thanks for the runbooks and the new artwork and for achoring the sweep. Reed, thanx for getting Shiny's back and covering the tougher turns and for just being you. :lol:
You are very welcome Chris, whenever you need help with runs you know all you need to do is ask. Reed, thanks for the assist and also to Diane and Spag who relayed messages in the middle. Hopefully next year we can get more people involved in the organizing, giving us the ability to split into two groups rather one long daisy chain. At least we would be able to make it through lights in 1-2 changes rather than 3-4!

It was great seeing old friends from near and far, and meeting new ones. I hope you guys all come out and play again soon!

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Thank you Chis, Denise and the rest of LISSC, I had a wonderful time as usual! Much thanks for leading us right past that Getty station. My anxiety levels dropped like a bomb after that. :lol:

I'll post pics as soon as I can locate my camera's USB.

Hopefully next year we can get more people involved in the organizing, giving us the ability to split into two groups rather one long daisy chain. At least we would be able to make it through lights in 1-2 changes rather than 3-4!
Hey Shiny, you should be able to front run a LI group 'specially if you're following Chris and particularly if someone can get the route into everyone's Garmins. :)

When a group is running a daisy chain for whatever the reason, I found that it's really important for everyone to close those gaps between the cars. It's counter productive, not to mention exhausting to drive with a bead on a car who's lagging behind, while the one is front is moving out of your line of sight. A group needs to drive like they're a team of synchronized swimmers!
Yeah, Ok. That's a stretch. :lol:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Listen up, newbies!

When a group is running a daisy chain . . . I found that it's really important for everyone to close those gaps between the cars. . . A group needs to drive like they're a team of synchronized swimmers!

Wait . . . wouldn't the flowers get wet?

I think the group needed better radios! Many thanks to you solli4me and to dengel for your radio relays and for your help in keeping the group together. If I had been able to train a team 2 leader, I definitely would want to break into groups of 10-11 cars. Also, I will never route a large group through so many consecutive traffic lights again.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hey Shiny, you should be able to front run a LI group 'specially if you're following Chris and particularly if someone can get the route into everyone's Garmins. :)
I will never lead a run, I think I'd have a nervous break down before that happened. Thank goodness Spag took the lead for Yuengling! I will sweep any run people want me to or hang out in the middle and relay messages, but as far as leading a run - not going to happen!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I think the group needed better radios! Many thanks to you solli4me and to dengel for your radio relays and for your help in keeping the group together. If I had been able to train a team 2 leader, I definitely would want to break into groups of 10-11 cars. Also, I will never route a large group through so many consecutive traffic lights again.
Especially when we had to wait on Pep to get gas, then he went to the front of the line and all the locals cut us off because they didn't want to wait for all of us. That was beginning of the end! :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
One not of caution on relying solely on the GPS route for the run.

I had Spag's GPS route downloaded on my Garmin, but I guess he and I have different versions of the maps (his is much more current than mine.) Every time we went off course, the Garmin would go totally screwy and want to send me in the wrong direction. I would have to cancel the route and reload it for the Garmin to get back on track. The only way I knew the Garmin had gone off-track was because I was in the middle of the pack, and could tell when the Garmin started directing me to go the opposite way from the rest of the group.

So be very cautious when loading a route into multiple GPS devices that may have different map versions, and I would always make sure people have printed directions as a back-up for all runners, even if they have a GPS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had such a great time Sunday meeting all of you! Can't wait to do this again! It really turned out to be such a nice day!! It was most entertaining driving behind T. and Stephanie! You ladies are a riot!! Lots of fun people in this group!!

Great job on the route map and the run all together!Kept us on track and certainly did find some very cool roads worth driving on again for pleasure cruising!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Post some pictures already!!!! :willy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts