Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the GMINSIDER website a message says that GM is currently in meetings with suppliers discussing adding a 3rd shift to the Delaware plant.

1. To produce more cars?
2. To play "catch up if production is delayed or slowed due to manufacturing problems in order not to have to ship a convertible out in the FALL?

With all the articles in the news at this time regarding the more than Billion $ loss GM had this quarter, I go with answer #1.
They want to meet the expected demand and want to make more money on volume vice "Limited availability" markups

·
Registered
33 Posts
Third shift is something that was always an early and often spoken about option. I think maybe it is just happening a little sooner than everyone anticipated.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Bandit1978 said:
They want to meet the expected demand and want to make more money on volume vice "Limited availability" markups
Great news if it's true but keep in mind while a 3rd shift will be a VERY big help with early demand it will not put Solstice into major league volume territory. The manufacturing process is still slow.

Also great news because they'll hire more people back too :patriot:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It may also have something to due with the expected release of the Sky early next year too, and the eventual release of the Opel GT for export. A third shift may only be to cover the increased capacity of producing all three vehicle lines.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think it's a clear sign that we will all be driving our Solstices by June 21!! :lol:

Okay, so I'm an optimist... sue me! :yesnod:

·
Registered
198 Posts
...and I'm going to back this up with hard evidence: the Pontiac site in Canada is still proclaiming that the Solstice will be here this SUMMER. Let the record reflect the attached pic as exhibit A.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Canadian site

Danno said:
...and I'm going to back this up with hard evidence: the Pontiac site in Canada is still proclaiming that the Solstice will be here this SUMMER. Let the record reflect the attached pic as exhibit A.
Yeah, but they are usually clueless in Oshawa.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Inter Province rivalry?

GreatWhiteNorth said:
Yeah, but they are usually clueless in Oshawa.
Is Oshawa a region unto its own, or is there a reason for the nickname for the province? I guess as s dumb Yankee from surf country, I'm entitled to ask such questions about the northern climes... ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Dogtown said:
How long is the Canadian Summer?
Southern Ontario has about the same climate as Buffalo (they are just across the Niagara River) so their summer would be about the same. I'd say you have good convertable weather consistently from June through September. April and October will have decent days that you can get out, and you generally have a few days in March and November, but not a lot. December through February is the definately cold and by no means convertable weather (although there is always an odd day or two over that period too).

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
A third shift would make sense now. This way the training of new personel would be in line with the new vehicle startup putting all on the same page.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was reading an article in motor trend this month saying gm finacing department made MORE money last year then selling cars them self. And it was funny, motor trend said gm looks like a big finacing company with a car buisness on the side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts