Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

quick question and some background...
doing a low price turbo build, low boost low hp gains looking to get a kick on the 2.4 around 75~100 hp low psi nor more than 8 just wanted to know would this turbo work? it is a AiResearch/Garrett T3 Turbo its a Ford SVO 2.3L turbo, all i really want to know is would this work for my power 'goals' would it be worth it? or should i just stay away? to me it looks pretty good, but this is my first car im going to turbo so im still pretty new to this stuff but i have been doing alot of research... also please stick to the question, i know alot of people here will say to go with a hann or werks or ddm kit but i just dont have those kinds of funds at my disposal if i did id get one and call it a day, im piecing this kit together as i go im in no hurry to get boosted so ill take my time i wont be cheaping out on parts too much and will def get this puppy dyno tuned just need time i will be doing a full write up and pictures and everything so yeah thatll come in the future thanks! also any other tips would be appreciated!! thanks! :grouphug::thumbs:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well for one, its got bolt on flanges where the charge piping connects, meaning your charge piping would have to have the same bolt on flanges. The exhaust flanges are pretty common and you could make up a downpipe for yourself or have someone else do it. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm pretty new to turbos too as I am on my first turbo build as well, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with the bennefits and drawbacks of using an SVO turbo.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Heres my input but keep in mind I've never built a turbo myself. If that turbo is a good price and I'm not sure it will get you the hp gains your looking for but if it can I don't see why it wouldn't work. The hard part is going to be the bolt on charge flang but you should be able to fab something. The next thing you'll need is a exhust manifold down pipe intercooler and injectors and all the req charge tubs. As you stated your in no hurry so getting that stuff for a good price is on your Side. Idk if it would work but maybe a stock gxp one would work.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any fab work i can do or my dad can help, hes a welder for an aerospace company and has been welding for over 25 years he can to tig and mig, and is buying a tig welder this month so i think the fab part is covered i also noticed that the bolt on flanges on the intake side that wouldnt be too hard to fab something up, i have an exhaust manifold already its a t3 style for the 2.2 ecotec it will bolt up to the 2.4 i know someone over on the sky forum that is using the exact same manifold and they are just finishing up their build good thing was i was able to pick mine up for 50 bucks some guy had bought it for his cavi never used it sold the cavi then sold the manifold to me for cheap, anyway heres the manifold

okay so i will be getting all my parts ceramic coated as well i really want to keep heat down on this build i know heat will kill the 2.4 so my main goal is to meet my power goal that i decided last night which is 250hp but keep heat down as low as possible, :thumbs: back to the turbo i really just want to know is this turbo good for that power and isnt too small i was thinking of going with a gxp turbo but from what ive heard its too small for the 2.4 some say its barely a good size for the 2.0 so im wondering will this turbo work for the 2.4 it came of the 2.3 so im guessing if i went with this turbo it would work and have a fast spool but run out of power up top.. i also dont know what the 2.3 svo reved too so maybe this turbo was good for the svo but would be just too small and not have enough air flow for the 2.4
thanks for all the input so far guys :grouphug::thumbs:

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can make about 250 hp with that turbo, but that will be about the extent of what it can do with it on the LE5.
Looking at the compressor map you will likely just be making heat vs more power for anything over 15psi, but I think that will still get you to around 200 hp to the wheels.

You'll have to run an intercooler too, but if you haven't already purchased this turbo then look for a larger turbo that you can run smaller boost with.

Nothing wrong with 8 psi making 220-240 hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would trade in your base for a GXP/Redline. 260hp with a lot more options on power mods.

There are quite a few of both for sale and the cost difference would probably be minimal.
should been more clear, i wont trade either, i just got my sol in september last year, i will not have enough money to trade in and swap, too much of a loss, ive looked in to it, even when a dealer had a gxp 2007 for 15,999 i was still losing too much, plus ive already done too many mods on this, i dont think a dealer would want it for liability reasons but thanks for the input

You can make about 250 hp with that turbo, but that will be about the extent of what it can do with it on the LE5.
Looking at the compressor map you will likely just be making heat vs more power for anything over 15psi, but I think that will still get you to around 200 hp to the wheels.

You'll have to run an intercooler too, but if you haven't already purchased this turbo then look for a larger turbo that you can run smaller boost with.

Nothing wrong with 8 psi making 220-240 hp to the wheels.

scdyne do you guys do dyno tunes? i have some questions that i will pm you soon about... so if i were to run this turbo id have to be pushing 15psi to make 200hp at the wheels? id like to keep low boost to be safe and keep heat down, i should also include that i will be running an intercooler, maybe water/meth in the future, for now i plan to just have basic turbo intercooled and thats it, so on that what size turbo would i be looking at to make 200-250 at the wheels i was thinking a t3/t4 57 trim would be good to run but i really dont know so what would be a good reliable turbo

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well you should get more on 15 psi at the wheels the 200 up as I have a ddm stage 2 s/c and I get like 240 ish at the wheels and I'm getting about 8-9 psi. So with that said if you have a free flowing exhaust you should make close to your 250 mark as long as you have the flow.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well you should get more on 15 psi at the wheels the 200 up as I have a ddm stage 2 s/c and I get like 240 ish at the wheels and I'm getting about 8-9 psi. So with that said if you have a free flowing exhaust you should make close to your 250 mark as long as you have the flow.
at 15 psi on the small turbo i would be making less HP than your s/c at 8 psi because air flow, thats why most people recommend a slightly bigger turbo with better air flow then i can run low psi and make better HP than a small turbo maxed out i think if this turbo was a bit bigger it would make better numbers but im still looking in to it, any other turbo people wanna pitch in?:grouphug:

also i forgot to add im picking up the magnaflow gxp muffler some time this week or next so thatll be taken car of, and im also going with a high flow cat so thatll be in place by the time the turbo is all set up to go in! :thumbs:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rather than building a one of a kind set up around a factory SVO turbocharger, you would probably be better off trying to find a larger turbo. You have to remember that you will be building your whole set up around this turbo, so if the flanges are uncommon, it may difficult to change your set up in the future and upgrade without re fabbing a lot of the pieces. The most I've seen a lot of the SVO guys get out of a stock turbo set up is around 260-270hp, so it will work man, and if you want to be different and have a cool one of a kind set up, and it meets your power goals, go for it! but just remember the downsides.

i would trade in your base for a GXP/Redline. 260hp with a lot more options on power mods.

There are quite a few of both for sale and the cost difference would probably be minimal.
Why all the hate on N/A guys trying to make power?

I know your guys don't actually mean anything by it, but for some of us, just buying the better model isn't feasible, otherwise, there would be a ZO6 in my driveway. I looked into trading my base for a GXP as well, and the few grand it would cost, plus dealer fees, plus taxes, registraion, etc.,it just wasn't feasible for me. But after the turbo it will have more than enough pep to make a fun street driven car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rather than building a one of a kind set up around a factory SVO turbocharger, you would probably be better off trying to find a larger turbo. You have to remember that you will be building your whole set up around this turbo, so if the flanges are uncommon, it may difficult to change your set up in the future and upgrade without re fabbing a lot of the pieces. The most I've seen a lot of the SVO guys get out of a stock turbo set up is around 260-270hp, so it will work man, and if you want to be different and have a cool one of a kind set up, and it meets your power goals, go for it! but just remember the downsides.
i know what your saying about picking the right turbo, the svo turbo looks like it could work just has weird a$$ flanges lol but like i said i wanna keep heat down and low boost would help i know id have to run around 15psi to get some HP, so has its down sides but well see also i hit up flea bay found two things on there

Garrett Turbo Turbocharger T3 T4 Mitsubishi DSM Eclipse 4g63 SAAB Nissan Toyota | eBay

this one is a garrett only prob is a cracked exhaust housing you can see in the picture he marked with yellow so yeah idk if that would be bad but you guys tell me it seems decent price for it unless its really bad i dont know... :willy:

next up is
T3 T04E TURBO CHARGER TURBOCHARGER EG HATCH CIVIC LX T3 | eBay

yes yes i know what you guysare thinking offbrand no name chinese made garrett knock off no stay away!! :chill::chill: but i know a couple people running 'cheap' turbos off ebay and they work, they also are religious about keeping the oil fresh in their cars, letting the turbo cool down, not running crazy boost, pretty much taking care of the turbo all i really want to know is that if this was say a garrett turbo would it be right for my application? :grouphug: and i think thats it, my adhd :willy:distracts me so please excuse my random posting format, ifi remember anything ill be back to up date or post a new post thanks guys! :thumbs:

·
Registered
263 Posts
That $100 dollar brand new shiny civic ebay turbo is just asking for trouble, I did have one friend that ran one on his E30 BMW successfully for a while, but thats like a one in a million, usually they break and could take the engine with them depending on what fails.

As for the T3/T4 Mitsu Turbo, I really don't know anything about them other than they are a T3 exhaust housing with a T4 turbine housing, so they flow a little more than a regular T3. it also looks to me like they are externally wastegated, but I'm really not sure.

I'm running Jinsuko3's set up which has a Garret GT2876R .70A/R

I would look a little more into that T3 / T4 Turbo and see what it flows, what kinds of engines people are using them on, and how much power they are putting out.

But stay away from those little chrome ebay turbos!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That $100 dollar brand new shiny civic ebay turbo is just asking for trouble, I did have one friend that ran one on his E30 BMW successfully for a while, but thats like a one in a million, usually they break and could take the engine with them depending on what fails.

As for the T3/T4 Mitsu Turbo, I really don't know anything about them other than they are a T3 exhaust housing with a T4 turbine housing, so they flow a little more than a regular T3. it also looks to me like they are externally wastegated, but I'm really not sure.

I'm running Jinsuko3's set up which has a Garret GT2876R .70A/R

I would look a little more into that T3 / T4 Turbo and see what it flows, what kinds of engines people are using them on, and how much power they are putting out.

But stay away from those little chrome ebay turbos!!!

ahhh i need some help it seems like the svo turbo is out of the question, i havent heard from the guy for about a day i was supposed to check out the turbo tomorrow so i guess it might be sold :willy:

back to the mitsu turbo it seems that its good for 250hp-350hp maxed thats what i have seen looking around online the only thing is that crack on the compressor wheel! so idk anyone with turbo knowledge please chime in!

ebay turbo looks might good right now :devil: im really tempted to get it just for now and run low boost and get everything set up then replace it after all is done and i have a better turbo to go in, the only thing is that i dont know if it would last that long with me only because im too lazy to take care of the turbo, well not really lazy just forgetful oh well if the svo is sold and the garrett is sold i guess ill be the second le5 with an ebay turbo the first is finishing up his build and will be running soon (by the end of the month) so i guess ill see how his car does and if its okay ill put the turbo on if not then ill ditch that turbo :willy: ahhh ill see also good news! i picked up a intercooler for 40 bucks of a guy today he took it off his rx-7 so yeah i got it for dirt cheap, mocked it up and looks good, made it look stealthy ill post pics :thumbs:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

i know it looks beat up but it wasnt that bad the fins were only bad on that side so i flipped it lol \

also IC dimensions are 23inx7inx2 1/2in

if you notice my plates youll see why im going stealth with the IC and want to keep this project cheap/easy to reverse but of course this is all for off road use!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going for the SVO turbo tomorrow morning guy said he'd take 50 for it update tomorrow with pictures and more info, got the exhaust manifold In the mail as well today, gonna sand it a bit clean it up and test fit it tomorrow along with the turbo, then ceramic coat it then just need intercooler piping, injectors, all the oil lines and stuff like that, that will come next week then put it together and get a tune done looks like its coming along nicely also for those wondering about price here's the list

Turbo=50 bucks
Manifold=60 bucks
Intercooler=40 bucks
So far I'm in 150 :thumbs:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Interesting - I can't wait to see where this goes. Once you get the hardware all squared away, tuning is going to be the key, between relatively high compression, VVT, and a set up that is guaranteed not to have been run by anyone before lol.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright guys sorry its been a busy week just started class this week and last week i was on vacation from work so everything was just thrown at me this week sooo lets see last time i left an update i had just gotten the turbo so lets start with that, i took it apart all looks good no shaft play im thinking about sending it to be rebuilt just because it kinda looks too good, but the previous owner said he had it rebuilt but i didnt ask when :bentril: anyway so yeah i used VHT high temp ceramic coating the one you spray on then bake on i sanded down the exhaust manifold and the ugly section of the turbo (the exhaust side) lol and i sprayed it on about 4 thick a$$ coats each then baked the exhaust manifold and it came out good i was gonna bake the exhaust side of the turbo then i realized i hadnt taped off the openings (i taped off the mani) and there was paint inside!! and well if you read online there have been people that have used this stuff and sometimes it flakes off and well little flakes and a turbine spinning at a billion RPMs is not good at all so i said no dont be lazy took sand paper to the whole thing and paint thinner to get that crap all off then re taped and re sprayed and baked and it looks pretty damn durable so yeah lets see then i checked the waste gate looks like it can hold around 15-20 psi before it opens up( i need to use a air compressor and regulator to really check it but all i had was a bike pump soo i pumped and it looked like it would open around there but ill have to check it for sure) but it works it doesnt leak and its all good also i lost the damn c clip that hold the actuator rod thingy to the waste gate like valve? anyone know where i can get small c clips? any way lets see so i covered paint, c clip, waste gate, oh yes since im a big ricer i might go send out the intake wheel to get powered coated anyone had any luck with this? the theme of my car is white and black with yellow accents, i plan to have the charge tubes white, and silicone couplings will be black and i want a yellow air filter and yellow intake wheel, i will send the tubes out to be powder coated anyone know about coating the wheel? or will hi temp paint work or what? okay well thats that and ill post a picture as it stands in my room at the moment, also i get paid tomorrow :willy::leaving: sooo i will be ordering charge tubing and oil lines, and maybe injectors i think tho this check will be charge tubing and oil lines and pay off my speeding ticket :devil: and then next month will be wideband, boost gauge, and injectors then i should be close to done just little things here and there (down pipe, cat, all thing plugged in, etc..) and tuning which i have a place i will most likely be going to they have tuned turbo and s/c kappas and a crap load of cobalts, so i trust them its just pricey :willy: oh well i hope to have this done by maybe xmas time if not hopefully by new years for sure! but like i said i just started school so if i dont up date too much it just means ive been busy but when i do itll long posts like these!! also anyone know about the oil lines? i was gonna run the feed from a galley plug underneath the manifold and have it drain to the pan, the only thing is there a oil pan plug that has a female input on the other side?like where it replaced the plug but i can plug in a line? if not where should i drain it to? also i forgot im also getting a BOV i dont wanna get flamed for forgeting that that will just be this pay check as well i just count it as charge tubing so yeah hmmm ADD post lol ill update with pictures on the next post and if i forget anything ill add to it :grouphug:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pictures!

(SORRY FOR THE HUGE PICTURES!) alright i forgot somethings this morning i did some 'research' on the turbo and i got this off a SVO 'stang forum
The T-03 .60 / .48 is an 85.5-86 spec turbo and should be water cooled, I think. The 83-84 gt turbos should have T-03 .60/.63 non water cooled I think.
so any imput on that? im running the T-3 .60/.63 non water cooled turbo

anyway heres the pictures first one i must ask a question, where can i find the fitting for this it goes to the waste gate

here is the manifold

here is a front view

at an angle

another angle from further away!

here it is from the side and also ignore the waste gate being off i clocked the turbo and forgot to make sure to put the waste gate on the right part and well now its not on the right section lol ill put it on later after i finish 'testing' it for opening psi and find a c clip and that fitting but yea there it is folks!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Project name

alright guys last post for tonight ive been thinking of a cool :cool: name for the project and well everyone knows 3 letter acronyms are awesome (GXP, GTP, SVO, SVT, GTR, SRT, so on, so forth) so yes since im too poor to afford a GXP:lol: this will be a SOLSTICE SVO! :party: :wtf: :leaving: lol i will be ordering my plates once this is all done and it will say SVO SOL and will be getting an SVO badge to put on the rear of the car where the GXPs have it but yeah ill be a SVO! anyway if any kind mods wanna change this thread name to SVO Solstice please do! anyway this is a picture of the SVO sol taken last sunday on PCH! here she is!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts