Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm finally getting around to updating the stock sound system in my '06. My car originally had the single-disc CD player radio, without Monsoon. I've got a new head unit, door speakers, and a compact amplifier.

The amp is a Kenwood KAC-M1814 45Wx4 compact amplifier. It's not very big -- not much bigger than a cell phone in area, and a bit more than twice as thick. I'm not sure where to mount it, though. I don't know where the factory amp would have been or if there's a better spot. It's going to power all four speakers but no sub. I don't have a sub now and am not installing one at the moment.

I don't know if there's room behind the dash somewhere, or if there's a good place behind the seat, behind a trim panel, etc.? I haven't yet started taking thing apart.

The attached photo shows the amp next to a soft drink can for size reference.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
The stock amp sits behind the waterfall on the driver's side (i.e. behind the panel behind the seat). There's easily enough room there for an amp bigger than yours.

But you can probably find space for that amp up under the dash too. Though finding a secure mounting spot might be problematic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I mounted mine on the rear wall of the trunk. Longer cable runs, but it fits nice and cleanly and out of the way there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

I ended up mounting the amp behind the waterfall. My car does not have the Monsoon system, but it did have four mounting studs used to mount the factory amp. I used some aluminum flat stock to make a mount for the new amp and bolted it to those studs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts