Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why? Is there a need to for a hauler? Doesn't the crew cab truck not server this purpose if dad has to take the kids to school? What the hell is mom doing with the mini van that she can't take them? There is already a PT convertable

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Ehhnnh...

Nice photochop work, but looks impractical.

He stretched the wheelbase (more weight!!!), moved some things that don't look real (front door cutline moved forward, but windshield stayed, but where does the steering column go???), the rear passenger hips would be in between the wheels (where does the tunnel go? gets smaller? less structure? where does the gas tank and the differential go now?).

As a virtual car, great. I give it an A-.

As a real possibility, I give it an F. Artists are a dime a dozen. Good artists are a little rarer, but really rare is the artists that can realize a practical application of their design. Even so, there are compromises that stem directly from the original artist design:

-Solstice is a bit wide for good low weight (but, the upside is more interior room - flip a coin, ya can't have both)
-Design works well to house a 4 cylinder, but anything bigger looks like it might upset the balance of the vehicle (look at Z4 for a design that can take a bigger motor and be still well balanced)
-Short rear overhang looks like it gives up any storage space, and most certainly forces no spare tire. Looks great, but if you're going on a trip with your S.O., ship your luggage and drive there in style.

This 'chopper should have started with a sideview of the Nomad or Curve, and altered it from there. Anyone can grab a chunk of the Mazda RX-8 and 'chop it in, then slide the wheels into the same place as the occupants.

I'd like to see what the structural mule version of this looks like - that would be impressive, and really impressive as a 3/4 shot from above stretched showing the seats and drivetrain. Then I'd almost be impressed.
:rant

·
Registered
275 Posts
While the design is for a four, the world will not consider a car "upscale" unless it has more. GM likes V-6 engines and they are shorter than a four so balance would not be upset particularly if the block is aluminum, I would be very surprised if possible accomodation of other engine families was not part of the design requirement.

While the package target is probably the Mazda Miata/Honda S-2000, I am sure the GM designers noticed that the Mercedes 230 SLK (185 hp 4 cyl) has been repeatedly slammed for not enough power perhaps due to a 3000 lb curb weight.

Then again if gasoline prices keep going up, a four doesn't look so bad.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The Photoshop job was awsome! I now how much work that is. It's fun to look at alternative ideas, but I agree, the Solstice could or should never really be utilized that way. Having said that, I'm sure someone in LA will make a stretch Limo out of one! :rolleyes

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agree that that is a very nice Photoshop job. Can hardly tell - if someone had mentioned it was a real concept, I would have believed it. I have to admit, I kind of like it. Would like to see it with the doors shut, and although I doubt I would choose one over the convertible, it is an interesting idea.

So - is the RX-8 selling well enough to justify a competitor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts