Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the forum in a long time but maybe this will help someone, it about drove me nuts.

Several months ago I started getting an occasion P2178 error, usually I just clear it and wouldn't see it again for a while, then it became more and more frequent and the car starting running badly. I looked up the code and got pointed toward the MAF, cleaned it it would help for a day or so, started running worse, replaced the MAF. Helped for a couple of days then it's back. I have a Westers tune so I contacted Lyndon Wester, did some scans with HPT and I was running really rich, he suggested that maybe the upstream O2 sensor was bad (that's the front one) I got a new one, now it starts MUCH better and runs well most of the time, then ol' P2178 pops up again and the car stumbles occasionally. So now I have a new MAF, a new O2 sensor and a new tune just for kicks, the car runs great sometimes, other times it goes into low boost mode (limp mode lite) and won't boot over 5 psi. I talk with Lyndon again, he says check the hoses to the intercooler, I pulled every hose looking for cracks or loose clamps. I have all silicone hoses and t-bolt clamps, no problems found. OK now to get serious, I pulled the front bumper and pulled my Dejon Intercooler. I got nailed in a parking lot a while back while I was in Costco and they had to replace the front bumper, looks like I had hidden damage. The weld on the side of the tank on the IC was cracked. I guess it had slowly been getting worse, it's just a hair line crack. I put my old stock IC back and I am off and running again, with all the new stuff and the new tune I am hitting and holding 25 psi of boost WAHOO! I wil drive up and see Dave from Dejon on Wednesday and get the IC fixed then put it back next weekend.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Yay, Goat's back! I thought you sold up and moved on... glad to see that you're still with us - at least in spirit. :party:

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, been keeping my head down and paying for all the mods I did in the past. I threw away my credit cards so if I mod it is cash only. Still drive the Solstice everyday that it's not snowing, last mod I did was the slotted rotors and pads that DDM sells for the stock setup. I think I will finally get and intake soon, still have the stock one. I really want an LVDDM bar!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Your timing is excellent! And welcome back. I just dropped my car off today for P2178! Did all the checks you did looking for the problem (except new MAF since I still have warranty) and nothing turns up. I had one of those intercoolers (supposed bad batch) that needed replaced shortly after getting the car and I told the dealership that is is acting very much like that again.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
A few cars have experienced cracking on the output side of the IC can following installation of the GMPP tune. It is hard to find because its hidden behind the plastic. It is covered by the warranty. Good luck.:thumbs:

·
Registered
590 Posts
HEY GOAT!!!

The wife and I were not able to get to Wall NJ this year, But I expect to run into you next year like we always do.

I too thought you sold the Solstice. I am glad to hear you still have it.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Me too I thought he bought a truck or motorcycle when he sold it.
Any ways welcome back.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dealer replaced MAF sensor and called it good but it wasn't. First time I got on it it seemed ok but second time was obvious it was still sick. I pressure tested the IC myself and sure enough there is about a 3" crack on it. Took it back in today for a new IC. This is the second one for my GXP. I did just get a new turbo (stock replacement) installed and it probably put out enough psi to do in the IC.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey LV always had the truck and Harley, managed to keep the Solstice just quit spending money on mods.

To continue the P2178 story, I drove up to Dejon Powerhouse, they moved close to me about 2 years ago. Met Dave and he fabbed me a new mounting bracket then we went to the welder, got everything back and ready to go by 11:00 home by 12:00 ripped the front off the car again and put the Dejon IC back.

I had an unusual opportunity to compare the stock versus the Dejon with ZERO other changes. The stock IC was hitting in the 25-26 range at full boost the Dejon is hitting in the 24-25 range. This difference is called 'the pressure drop" it will be slightly different for every design of IC. The Dejon IC is 2.5 times bigger than stock so such a small difference is evidence of a good design.
OK now for the fun stuff the difference in driving, it is pretty huge, the Dejon starts making torque at much lower rpm's and it has a bunch more torque. It is very noticeable. This is just physics, the Dejon has much better flow, basically the difference between a 2" and 3" pipe and it supplies a much cooler charge. It is also way less likely to blow up when running greater than stock boost, even just a GMPP. Lyndon Wester told me when he first looked at a GXP way back in 2007 that the stock intercooler was a piece of junk, seems he was right as usual as has been seen by so many blown one's. By the way they fixed the problem on the Cobalt SS much different IC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts