Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Been lurking the forums for a few weeks and recently purchased a Solstice

I happened upon an 07' with ~80k miles a few weeks back and recently purchased the vehicle ($6500). I've looked at a few over the past few years but the CarFax has always been a bit questionable in my area or they've been in the 10k dollar range non-gxp with higher miles. This one has totally complete maintenance for the life of the vehicle and the car is generally in good shape. The paint has a few minor scratches, most of which I've been able to buff out and a couple small dents from door dings; the top looks to be original but is in great shape and I've been able to re-dye it back to looking almost new and reglue a separated seam. The drive-train seems to be in great shape, I took it to my mechanic and he said the only thing that needs done are tie rod ends, the tires and brakes are near new and the rest of the maintenance history is complete.

A few issues which I hope are easily repairable and affordable and seem to be with some Googling, the passenger and driver side turn signals easily fall out if you touch them but stay in when driving. The center console arm rest is cracked which makes sense to me as I constantly put my elbow on the crack when hopping in. The driver and passenger doors leatherette areas have separated from the molded plastic beneath on the armrests. The roof stores in the trunk easily but takes a few attempts when trying to get it to re-seat with the latch, the passenger side hangs and seems to get stuck. The roof seal leaked when I was washing but I've identified a crack in the seal which I will either replace or try to patch.

Now, my only issue of concern, I'm not sure if this is a known issue or a bit of an electrical gremlin. The instrument cluster dimming doesn't seem to work? It only comes on in my garage but rarely comes on when I'm driving in the dark/dim light, I'm hoping it's just the ambient light sensor but the after market stereo randomly dims and cuts out as well, I'm not sure if the factory stereo may be wired into the same harness or not and that's the cause of the issue. I took it for a spin yesterday afternoon in the fading light and it didn't come on but the after market stereo installed by the previous owners kept going to the lowest dimness constantly and the instrument cluster never came on. Today, when I was driving it the audio kept cutting in and out with every bump, which I was hoping was just a loose power harness, but I shut the car off and back on at a stop light and the issue went away.

Other than that, I love driving this car, I've wanted one for years and I'm pleased I made the purchase. It is so much fun to drive and I look forward to taking it on excursions. But I was just hoping for some advice on the repair-ability for the issues I've experienced.

If I posted this in the wrong thread please let me know.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
16,236 Posts
Welcome. Glad you made the trip. The top sticking may be a result of a missing plastic wear tab. Check the under side if the top for wear. They can get caught in the hinge over the windows. There are a couple of threads on the subject.
The center console can be repaired and the issue mitigated. Some have used fiberglass on the under side as reinforcement. They can be supported from below with semi rigid foam. Or DDM works sells a replacement with built in cup hplders

For electrical issues, check the battery terminals and the grounds. There is a ground on the front top pgbthe head that can be corouded. Check the fuse box in the engine bay to verify the fuses are well seated. Some have seen them come loose over the years.

Read the new owners check list it has 50plus items to check and can be a useful guide

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
Welcome. I will agree with all of Rob's points.

For the center console, oriiginal equipment replacements have also been available on ebay, so it would be worth checking there.

The instrument and radio dimming is a more complicated problem, and you first check the fuses Rob suggested you should check the instructions for the aftermarket radio to find out how the display is dimmed. The dimming of the factory radio is done by data communication, and not by an analog voltage, so you need to know how it was installed. The IP dimming could be caused by a problem in the radio wiring if it was done incorrectly.

Have you tried adjusting the dimmer control while in the garage? It almost seems that they are turning on, but are so dim that they can only be seen in the darkness of the garage.

How does the DIC, the display that shows the odometer and other driver information, behave at night? It should drop to about half of the daylight brightness in the dark, then be adjustable by the IP dimmer control. It also receives its brightness information from the data connection. If it works normally the problem is in the actual IP light power wire.

Side question: Do you have working warning chimes and turn signal tickers, and do they come from under the dashboard or from a radio speaker? Those work though the stock radio, also by data signal, and how they were made to work can be a good thing to know.

My thought here is that your electrical problems are due to a radio installation problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the information and your time with answering.

I'll be sure to check on the fuses tomorrow when I have more time.

The DIC seems to halve the brightness in the dark of my garage. When in my garage, the instrument cluster dimming works perfectly, I can see it just fine and adjust the brightness with the knob.

Excellent side question, I have no chimes or noise for turn indication or anything else. The vehicle has been able to pass emissions testing so I know that it's at least wired properly enough to the point that everything else should be sound. I previously owned a vehicle with a botched radio install and the vehicle would not pass emissions as a result.

I'll check on the fuses and the wiring to the best of my ability in the coming days/tomorrow, I have access to a Pontiac mechanic near me so if I'm unable to get it working I'll leave it with them. I was planning on having the after market radio installed by the previous owner replaced regardless so hopefully I can ensure this time it is installed properly and everything is working as it should be.

This is an example of the after market radio freaking out this evening in the dark of my garage:

Thank you both again for your assistance.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
+2000 on John's assessment of the radio installation being a major culprit. The lack of chimes and how the stock radio is dimmed is a good indicator.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum & & glad to hear your enjoying your new ride. The above members i find are of great help with solstice problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do your steering wheel audio controls work? If they do, the installer likely used an ASWC-1 interface or the iDatalink Maestro to connect the new stereo to factory wiring. If not, they may have just tapped into the factory wiring to install the aftermarket stereo, and that's where your problem is I would guess. If you redo it, make sure to get the right interface and/or properly tap into the factory wiring. Don't use Scotchlocks or similar taps. Either cut, solder and heatshrink or use Positaps. The Scotchlocks cut into the thin factory wiring, and often only leave a few strands of copper connected. The fact that the system went wonky after hitting a bump makes me think this is your problem.

When checking the stereo wiring, look closely at the stereo harness dimmer wire. That connection may be the culpruit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Everyone!

Been lurking the forums for a few weeks and recently purchased a Solstice

I happened upon an 07' with ~80k miles a few weeks back and recently purchased the vehicle ($6500). I've looked at a few over the past few years but the CarFax has always been a bit questionable in my area or they've been in the 10k dollar range non-gxp with higher miles. This one has totally complete maintenance for the life of the vehicle and the car is generally in good shape. The paint has a few minor scratches, most of which I've been able to buff out and a couple small dents from door dings; the top looks to be original but is in great shape and I've been able to re-dye it back to looking almost new and reglue a separated seam. The drive-train seems to be in great shape, I took it to my mechanic and he said the only thing that needs done are tie rod ends, the tires and brakes are near new and the rest of the maintenance history is complete.

A few issues which I hope are easily repairable and affordable and seem to be with some Googling, the passenger and driver side turn signals easily fall out if you touch them but stay in when driving. The center console arm rest is cracked which makes sense to me as I constantly put my elbow on the crack when hopping in. The driver and passenger doors leatherette areas have separated from the molded plastic beneath on the armrests. The roof stores in the trunk easily but takes a few attempts when trying to get it to re-seat with the latch, the passenger side hangs and seems to get stuck. The roof seal leaked when I was washing but I've identified a crack in the seal which I will either replace or try to patch.

Now, my only issue of concern, I'm not sure if this is a known issue or a bit of an electrical gremlin. The instrument cluster dimming doesn't seem to work? It only comes on in my garage but rarely comes on when I'm driving in the dark/dim light, I'm hoping it's just the ambient light sensor but the after market stereo randomly dims and cuts out as well, I'm not sure if the factory stereo may be wired into the same harness or not and that's the cause of the issue. I took it for a spin yesterday afternoon in the fading light and it didn't come on but the after market stereo installed by the previous owners kept going to the lowest dimness constantly and the instrument cluster never came on. Today, when I was driving it the audio kept cutting in and out with every bump, which I was hoping was just a loose power harness, but I shut the car off and back on at a stop light and the issue went away.

Other than that, I love driving this car, I've wanted one for years and I'm pleased I made the purchase. It is so much fun to drive and I look forward to taking it on excursions. But I was just hoping for some advice on the repair-ability for the issues I've experienced.

If I posted this in the wrong thread please let me know.

Thank you!
Well in my view you paid too much, $6500 with 80K miles.... with all those problems. Dumb? Yes! But that's OK, you got something to piddle around with, and one of the best little sports cars in American history. You can still get professional service at Buick-GMC. If someone told you need tie rod ends, he's a good salesman. I got my 2008 with 28K miles for $10K and could have got it for 9 with none of the goofy problems except the crack on the center console. Everyone has that. But I had to put a water pump in it after a while the first year.

Just wire around the dimmer switch on your panel. Its not that bright on full tilt.

~WELCOME TO THE CLUB~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts