Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't wait for tomorrow -- hope my sales friend can come through for me once I provide him with the number. Solstice looks great. Gonna have trouble deciding on the color, in fact. I really hope it is lives up to its name and is a true change of seasons for Pontiac/GM.

Kinda wish the guy who got fired hadn't said he'd be getting one =p Anyone who says interiorly or exteriorly is a bit confused in my book. Same goes for the woman waxing poetic over it's curvature. I feel cheated that such dumb people get a dream opportunity with such a cool car. Did anyone notice the irony of Hotjobs advertising on Chris' cab?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I disliked the project manager for the winning team. She was incredibly immature and greedy about "mine mine mine".

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea but I thought she nailed it on the task. Did some market research, had a concept of what she was going for ("emotion") and was creative with the round brouchure.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Agreed... pretty much with all of you so far. I never watched the Apprentice before, and will probably never watch another episode.

I wouldn't hire any of those contestants to manage a Taco Bell. Kendra, the winning team's project manager, seemed to be the only one with some potential. But she seemed pretty self-absorbed and immature.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Fortimir said:
I disliked the project manager for the winning team. She was incredibly immature and greedy about "mine mine mine".
She didn't get a lot of help from the 2 sleepyheads on her team. Also, when they went in to do their presentation, Tana started right out and was monopolizing the conversation. I think Kendra did a great job.
:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kinda amazes me is that none of those fools really researched the vehicle.

Also, has anyone received the Spring Pontiac mailer? I wouldn't mind seeing more of Vicki Vlachakis next to her baby!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Was wondering as I watched the show, how many days did it depict. My guess is a two weeks, minimum. Pictures came back from photographers. Brochure came back from printer. Models were chosen and hired. Exterior shoots were picked and permits were issued. Each team had more than one. Etc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DreamerDave said:
Was wondering as I watched the show, how many days did it depict. My guess is a two weeks, minimum. Pictures came back from photographers. Brochure came back from printer. Models were chosen and hired. Exterior shoots were picked and permits were issued. Each team had more than one. Etc
Yeah, they made it seem like it occurred over 2 days, didn't they? I find it kinda hard to believe they could do the print work so fast...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Nope ... I think it's a couple of days max. Each project on the Apprentice is very short ... I don't think any of the tasks has ever gone on more than one week, including renovating hotels and such. Most are only a day or two. It's pretty intense, but that's part of the idea ... see who cracks under pressure. But this is a big operation ... they're given direct access to all the professionals they need, including photographers and print-shops. I'm sure all that was done in-house and never actually sent out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
pwr66569 said:
Nope ... I think it's a couple of days max. Each project on the Apprentice is very short ... I don't think any of the tasks has ever gone on more than one week, including renovating hotels and such. Most are only a day or two. It's pretty intense, but that's part of the idea ... see who cracks under pressure. But this is a big operation ... they're given direct access to all the professionals they need, including photographers and print-shops. I'm sure all that was done in-house and never actually sent out.
:agree:

That's why they said it was week 12 of their 16 week interview. i've never seen the show b4 so i don't know but that's what they said.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1726&p=26968

Well, right team choice - but my reasoning was WAAAYYY off :lol:

Tana did so well the previous week - but turned into "Ambien Girl" on this one...

I still think Craig is pretty much worthless. Would have NEVER thought Kendra could have pulled it off - but, during the show, it was interesting.

I figured right from the start of the show, when they were in the cab, that the "Guys" would go for all this surperflous information campaign - kool for a forum and technical discussion.

For a brochure - ENHHHHHHH!!!! wrong answer. People dont' want a dissertation about how Lutz did this and that and Franz did this and that, and most folks couldn't care less about horsepower. "Guys" have trouble with emotional stuff - especially us engineers. :lol: Chris has lots of pent up emotion - but it's all testosterone and anger (lay off the steriods or get some antidepressants, Chris!) - he has no idea how to handle it, let alone be comfortable with "being in touch" with it.

Yet, it is exactly that aspect that Kendra figured out quickly - a brochure has nothing to do with "theme" or "story" or "specifications" or "background" - it's ALL VISCERAL EMOTIONAL IMPACT. A car communicates this "emotion in form" with the "language of shape". Very well done, Kendra.

Good sales people know this - excellent sales people know this REALLY WELL.

Well, apprentice rant off. So-so show, nice to see the car get some exposure.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Each task does run from 2-5 days at max (except for the last event I think that runs 7-8).

As far as permits and models and all of that... that is all set up ahead of time. All the teams have to do is pick from the pool of talent, and use them. Permits are set up prior to the teams even knowing the tasks.

That all said... I agree with Solsticeman in that I thought Tana would have done the job, and not Kendra. I was surprised she pulled it off... however I still think that the brochure looks like a toilet seat. From a marketing perspective, it's a great brochure... in fact it's more than that. She's got a spot for the dealer to put their business card, information all over this thing, it's oversized from everything else, and completely different in shape. There is no confusing this packet for any other GM car out there, or any other car brochure. That's what works so well for this (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Did you happen to notice on the www.pontiac.com/apprentice site that the first picture of the solstice in the photo album is all blurred? lol...the old geezer on apprentice was giving those two guys a hard time for have the fuzzy picture in the brochure!

·
Registered
154 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Did you happen to notice on the www.pontiac.com/apprentice site that the first picture of the solstice in the photo album is all blurred? lol...the old geezer on apprentice was giving those two guys a hard time for have the fuzzy picture in the brochure!
Very funny! But you know what, he was right. I wanted that picture to be clear. Blurry is just blurry.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I agree. I deal with a lot of visual images in my business and the last thing you want to do on a first impression is gave a blurred pic. If they wanted to give the illusion of speed they should have had the car moving with the cameraman tracking the car when he took the shot. If he uses a slow shutter speed the car will be in focus but the background will be blurred. This gives the illusion of movement on a still photo. They blew their first impression and we all know you only get one chance at a first impression.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Miata Man said:
I agree. I deal with a lot of visual images in my business and the last thing you want to do on a first impression is gave a blurred pic. If they wanted to give the illusion of speed they should have had the car moving with the cameraman tracking the car when he took the shot. If he uses a slow shutter speed the car will be in focus but the background will be blurred. This gives the illusion of movement on a still photo. They blew their first impression and we all know you only get one chance at a first impression.
You can depict motion by photo-shopping clear images, too, and still maintain the clarity of the vehicle. Bad example. but you get the point:

Their work just sucked. Again, it really pissed me off that such talentless people get to do such a cool project. I kinda doubt any of those wads know how do any real professional work. Even the girl on the winning team had Pontiac designers doing majority of her work. All she'd say was "cool" etc.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Miata Man said:
... If they wanted to give the illusion of speed they should have had the car moving with the cameraman tracking the car when he took the shot. If he uses a slow shutter speed the car will be in focus but the background will be blurred. This gives the illusion of movement on a still photo. ...
Yup - I was going to try one of these as a photochop (mask the car, motion blurr the background).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Miata Man said:
If they wanted to give the illusion of speed they should have had the car moving with the cameraman tracking the car when he took the shot. If he uses a slow shutter speed the car will be in focus but the background will be blurred. This gives the illusion of movement on a still photo.
Exactly the way it should have been done.
These were professional Photographers right!? They should have given them an index print with the bad ones (like the blurry one) crossed out with the reason below. then they wouldn't even have considered a bad pic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts