Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, I finally cancelled my Solstice order.

I'm not going to rant, but only explain my personal choice.

I've been following this car for two years and have had money down since January. Unfortunately, the very long wait has started to temper my excitement for this car. I still LOVE the way it looks and really like the way it drives, but the driving season is over here in Michigan. I don't feel like paying the car and insurance payments for it to sit in the garage for the first 4-5 months I own it. If the car was deliverd mid-to-late summer, it would have still been an emotional, impulse buy that I'm sure I would have loved. However, the long wait gave me time to really consider the practicality of this car. This would have been my only car, so I would have had to make some serious sacrifices. The emotional attachement to the car outweighed this for me until GM gave me the time to sit down and really think if it was the best thing for me at this point in my life.

I won't recount the negatives here because they are well known and also a matter of personal preference, but they now outweigh the great looks of this car...for me personally. I will wait to see if they start to iron out all of the (somewhat expected) first year glitches and see if they make improvements for 2007. The Turbo-charged next year may also get me to re-order.

I wish you all the best of luck and I know you will enjoy your purchases. Thank you for the great information and interesting commentary...if nothing else, this site is always good for a laugh!

Take Care

·
Registered
705 Posts
I know how you feel, my car is somewhere between the end of the assembly line and my dealer and I know the wait has tarnished the shine. No average person can put up with the poor performance GM has shown and not be affected by it.

Before all of the GM apologists chime in I ask would it have been that much for GM to do what Cricket and others have done? The great forum members that helped us all won't get a penny for their efforts. GM could learn a lesson from them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Wow, giving up after all this time? Are you sure you will still feel like it was a good choice next May when the sun is out, and people are cruising around in their convertables? Even if you like the turbo, a best case scenario would put it for sale late next summer to fall, which lands it in the same type of situation of the Sol this summer. Then, if there is a lot of demand for them, it could be even longer before getting one. I can see it easily being difficult to get into a turbo Sol until calender year 2007.

I know, because that is the car I have been hoping for, and I am not confident I will actually be able to get one for another 18 or so months due to the startup of the new model, and the demand it will have.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Good luck and stay well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I suggest you buy a 2006 Grand Prix GXP
I just drove one while the Solstice was in for Show & Tell
Let me tell you, That is one Hot Car
It doesn't have the Sex Appeal of the Solstice,
But it is definitely a Driver's car
The Dark Cherry Metalic is back and it's Beautiful
I think this car would satisfy your more practical side :)
The Solstice is the Greatest car in the world, but if you can't wait the GXP is not to bad

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
OK, I'll be the first to say it.

I think you're making a wise decision. The Solstice is a great car, but it does have some shortcomings. Those shortcomings can quickly turn into things you might resent if the Solstice is your ONLY car.

You might consider buying two used cars in place of the Sol, if you're in the position to do so. Maybe an older Blazer (late 90's), and an older Miata (ditto). Both can be had pretty cheaply. That way, you get your utility and your roadster fix as well.

Though the Grand Prix GXP is a hot new Poncho that would be alot of fun, too. Good suggestion, Lucky13 :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
2KWK4U said:
OK, I'll be the first to say it.

I think you're making a wise decision. The Solstice is a great car, but it does have some shortcomings. Those shortcomings can quickly turn into things you might resent if the Solstice is your ONLY car.

You might consider buying two used cars in place of the Sol, if you're in the position to do so. Maybe an older Blazer (late 90's), and an older Miata (ditto). Both can be had pretty cheaply. That way, you get your utility and your roadster fix as well.

Though the Grand Prix GXP is a hot new Poncho that would be alot of fun, too. Good suggestion, Lucky13 :thumbs:
:agree: I will keep my frontier and give the bronco to my daughter. This is not a wise single car owner decision. No spare, no trunk so you can go anyplace without shipping your luggage ahead :)

That being said even though I waited until September to put my money down, I have been waiting for this car to hit the street since they anounced it. What is another 6-9 months at this point. If I don't get it till next winter, It will just mean keep the tanaue on, heat on, hat, coat and gloves :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. I understand how you feel. I'm having 2nd thoughts myself. Not so much about the lack of practicality as the mission of the car itself.

In many ways I feel my ideal car is a V8-powered GT coupe rather than a convertible sports car. I am beginning to wonder if I am not just trying to talk myself into this car because it is IMHO the best looking car under $50,000 offered for sale today. And then I remember that the mission this car has to fulfill is motorcycle replacement and I realize it will perform that function better than all the great performance GT's available such as the Mustang GT, GTO or G35 Coupe.

The car has to be a convertible. It has to be designed as a convertible from the ground up. It has to have excellent handling, independent rear suspension STRONGLY preferred. Can't weigh over 3,000 lbs. Stunning looks preferred.

Yup. I want a Solstice. :lol:

But even now I think, "would I be better off with the stump pulling torque of a Mustang GT convertible? But I don't like the weight or the solid rear axle. I know it is not as stiff as the Solstice. And after they shaved the top off the Mustang, the fine distinctive looks disapeared only to be replaced by a rather bland and indistinct car.

And that leads me back to the Solstice GXP as absolutely the best motorcycle replacement I can find under $30,000. Now if I could finally decide on the color... :willy:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Re insurance

If you put the car "up" for the winter...just carry comprehensive.
My agent at Allstate said it would cost $8.50 a month for the winter months.
Once you bring it out of storage you'll pay ffull premium.

Not telling you to re-think...just filling you in on the insurance angle

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sad to see so many long time forum members giving up on their orders. :(

After waiting six months with and order, in the next two or three months there are going to be a number of "Sold Oders" that turn into dealer inventory. With the result that someone hearing about a Solstice now from the TV advertisements, being in the right place at the right time will be able to get a car that either just came in or is on it's way.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Not sure of the particulars of NytLyt's order, but I can certainly see where he's coming from. Just knowing that my car was actually built sometime near the end of JULY, and that here, nearing the end of OCTOBER and it still hasn't been delivered is enough to sour even the most avid.
The stories of where and what are keeping it from being delivered have been only rumor and/or conjecture. It would be easier to hear "We had a problem with XXXX", or "We couldn't get the supplier to YYYY", or even "We had a few where the ZZZZ fell off and had to be replaced" But, Nothing is a much harder pill to swallow.

I'm still waiting but, the excitement is sure waning.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
NytLyt said:
Sadly, I finally cancelled my Solstice order.

...GM gave me the time to sit down and really think if it was the best thing for me at this point in my life.
I'm really suprised that more people haven't come to the same point as you :yesnod: including me. This car doesn't make a whole lot of sense :willy: but I'm not under any time contraint, so only the changing seasons are weighing on me (it is in the mid-30s this morning :brentil: ).

I know a guy with the V8 GXP - hot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts