Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 non-turbo coupe has 94,600 miles on OEM Eagle RSA tires. Discount Tire today in doing a rotation identified cord separation and bulging in three tires. At 94,000 miles I guess I got my use on these OEM's.

The RSA tires have been very good to me and I have zero complaints. Never any weird wear on the RSA.

I do like the Eagle GT tread design much more than the RSA as the GT appears agressive.

I'm hoping to hear from all of you that the GT is only better and no worse a tire than the RSA.

I drive 180 miles a day in the coupe, so I appreciate a quiet, comfortable, value-centric tire that looks good too. I never exceed 95mph and usually cruise 70 to 85 on my commute with occational stop-and-go traffic.

In California, it's dry 300 days a year and I slow down when it rains. I never see snow or ice.

Thanks for your input. I'll need tires in the next few days now that I know my tires are bulging and have metal poking out. And, I still have a little bit before the wear bars say time-up. Discount Tire that does the rotations since I bought the car are amazed at the miles I've gotten with them for being rated a paltry 260.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
First of all, tires that are "bulging and have metal poking out" should be replaced immediately, regardless of what the wear bars show.

The Eagle GTs will not wear as well as th RS-As. I liked my RS-As except for their performance in the wet, and put 40k on them. They probably would have gone 80k without much trouble, but their wet performance got worse as they aged and I diddn't want to tip-toe around in the rain any more.

Do a search here for tire discussions and you will find what you need. I remember discussions that involved the Eagle GT but do not remember the evaluation. My thought is that they were generally favorable.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I don't drive mine in the rain or snow, but I sometimes spin the wheels starting from a stop. When they wear out, I'm getting something stickier.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Please lose the RSAs. My wife wouldn't put those on her PT Cruiser in Los Angeles. Traction in them, especially for a sports car, is... lacking.

I don't know a whole lot about the GT.

Is there a reason you're looking at all-seasons rather than a summer performance tire that can handle wet (given the weather conditions you outlined)?

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Consider going to Tire Rack's web site and check out their chaacteristic comparison pages and user reviews. It may be of help to you.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
We put the Eagle GTs on my wife's Sky Redline:

And I really like them. Way better than the F1s that come stock on the Redline. Sticker in dry weather and much better in wet weather. I still have the F1s on my Redline and I have the GMPP tune. Her car is stock with the GTs. And she can completely walk on me in the corners. :lol: My 80 lbs of extra torque doesn't help much when the tires won't stick. :banghead:

But, I am betting we will be lucky to get 40,000 miles out of the GTs. In fact, I would be surprised it they make it to 30,000. That is the price of going with the gooey tires.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
RSA's on the Solstice are poor at best, and in heavy rain - downright dangerous. But if you're running on cords, I guess you don't really care about safety.

I think for your driving habits and expectations, you'll be OK with pretty much anything. Go down to your local tire shop and tell them you want something cheap that will last.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
RSA's on the Solstice are poor at best, and in heavy rain - downright dangerous. But if you're running on cords, I guess you don't really care about safety.

I think for your driving habits and expectations, you'll be OK with pretty much anything. Go down to your local tire shop and tell them you want something cheap that will last.
:agree:

RSAs scared the hell out of me... replaced these as soon as I could.

Went to BF Goodrich KDWs (18s) on the original wheels then when I bought new 19 inch wheels I went with Hankook Ventus V12 evos.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
The F1s that came on the GXP are marginally better than the RSAs. They are not the same as the F1s that are highly rated (and expensive).

That said, you can get a lot more bang for your buck than anything I know of in the Goodyear line. Falken is a good start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The RS-A's are gone and were replaced with Goodyear Assurance Comfortrend.
The ride is extremenly quiet, compliant and comfortable. Usual road bumps and roughness are all but gone.. this was at a cost though. The softer sidewalls flex to a degree a may return the tires within 30 days if I can't 'adjust' the squirm with air pressure changes. The tires seem to stick very well in hard fast corners but the squirm lends to a reduction in confidence and control.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
What pressure are you running ? The Eagle F1 ASs were happiest at 31-32 psi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
31 all around first two days.
I bumped them up to 34 cold and they increased to 35 driving. Ride was a bit harsher and squirm reduced a bit too, but still irritating

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
You might also want to go lower if you haven't tried it already. Too much prssure will be as bad as too low.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If my tires lasted 90K+ and I had no complaints. I would replace them with the same kind of tire. But, It really sounds like you need to check your tires more often..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts