Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
"The 2006 Solstice, already anticipated as one of the most sought-after sports cars..."

Ah, music to my ears. Let's just hope the prices
don't reflect it.

Goodyear is wise to make sure these are on the car. A lot of people won't buy one but alotta lotta people are going to see it.

Editted to add: Does anyone know first hand if Goodyear RS-A's deserve their reputation for poor wet traction and loud noise, or is this just hearesay?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_RE050A_rd.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

It appears that the Pilots and the F1s both perform better wet and dry. Of course we are talking about $200 per RS-A, $250 for the Pilots and $300 each for the F1s. But I figure the money I save not buying the F/I motor will keep the car in shoes over its service life. Not that $300 per isn't PAINFUL! I guess now I understand why the RS-A's make sense.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
jimbo said:
Editted to add: Does anyone know first hand if Goodyear RS-A's deserve their reputation for poor wet traction and loud noise, or is this just hearesay?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_RE050A_rd.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

It appears that the Pilots and the F1s both perform better wet and dry. Of course we are talking about $200 per RS-A, $250 for the Pilots and $300 each for the F1s. But I figure the money I save not buying the F/I motor will keep the car in shoes over its service life. Not that $300 per isn't PAINFUL! I guess now I understand why the RS-A's make sense.
My GTP came with RS-As on board. I didn't care for them. They weren't horrible, but yes, they did get a touch noisy when they started to wear. I didn't let them get anywhere near the wear bars before I replaced them. They really sang near their limits, too (screamin' eagles). The first set of upgraded rubber I put on that car were Z-rated Pilots (XGT-Z4), and I loved them. They were cheaper than RS-A's, but they wore alot faster, too since they were soft rubber.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I just cannot warm up to the shoes on this car. Maybe I will like them more when I can actually drive a car. However, they seem like they cost more than they are worth.

These RS-A’s are expensive, as are just about every other 18” tire. They just seem to ruin the “affordable roadster” aspect of this car. If I were to replace these tires on a car, I’d probably end up paying $1000 out the door at the tire place. In my book, that is a heck of a lot of cash.

By comparison, I have a set of 17” wheels on my Fiero, with Z rated performance tires in the two following sizes, 215/45R17 on the front, 225/45R17 on the rear, and they run me $500 out the door. I would also think tires in a similar size would work great on the Solstice, offering an acceptable ride with more than enough stick for good handling.

Those RS-A’s better have amazing tread life, even with aggressive driving because they just seem to be an unnecessary expense to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't speak with a lot of authority on the RS-A, but I have Goodyear Eagle HPs on my 1991 MR2 and they are pretty noisey as they wear. Of course, in a car like the MR2 (and probably your Fiero,Ff88) there is enough engine noise coming in that once you hear the tires roaring you know they are screaming.

I wondered why GM decided to go with such a large tire/wheel combo for a car this size. I agree that that a 17, or probably even a 16 would be more than enough wheel and tire for a car this size with no more hp than the Solstice will have. I personally think it is all about style (bling) and nothing more. The downside of that (the customer's problem) is in maintaining that style. GM could care less that it will take you $1,000 or more to replace a set of tires.

My MR2 came standard with 14" wheels and tires. Just try to find that size today in any major name brand's performance line. It is tough to do because everyone is shifting to the larger diameters. Even with that, I just priced a set of 16" wheels and tires (through a Goodyear dealer mind you) and the whole set was going to run around $1,000.

Rex

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Current GTP has RS-A (in summer, we are still running the 4 winter tires, 4 inches yesterday) Wet tractability and tread wear has been good with these as compared to the tires on the previous SSei and GTP which were HP, I think. I am not thrilled with the concept of tires that cost $198 each as compared to $108 fro same tire in different size, but I guess the Sol will see less than 22000 miles per year, so spread it out over years instead of miles and it might not be so bad.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Tirerack.com has the RS-A's on sale for $185 right now. Not much but a bit lower. However they also have some non-name brand tires for as low as $143 that fit 245/45/18.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
OHNOTHIMAGEN said:
I wondered why GM decided to go with such a large tire/wheel combo for a car this size. ...
Styling.

It's the trend in today's cars, and designers don't know or care about performance (function) - all they care about is how hot it looks (form). Therefore, on cars, they will always try to maximize wheel size, minimize rubber, minimize wheel gap (tire to fender lip), and maximize car width.

Designer Nuggets:

Suspension travel? What's that for? Who needs something as mundane as that?

Ground clearance? All it's got to do is drive onstage...

Replacement cost? We never have to buy our tires in the design studio. I drive a company car and have NEVER had to replace tires... How much could they cost, about a hundred dollars?

Turn diameter... PFFFFSHHHH! Nobody pays attention to turn diameter...

Wheel damage? That only happens when you hit potholes! Just tell the customers not to hit potholes.

This <car> looks so hot everyone will buy one no matter the performance.

It's what you get when your designers don't really "live" in the cars they design. Form dominates and interferes with function.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
Styling.

It's the trend in today's cars, and designers don't know or care about performance (function) - all they care about is how hot it looks (form). Therefore, on cars, they will always try to maximize wheel size, minimize rubber, minimize wheel gap (tire to fender lip), and maximize car width.

Designer Nuggets:

Replacement cost? We never have to buy our tires in the design studio. I drive a company car and have NEVER had to replace tires... How much could they cost, about a hundred dollars?

Wheel damage? That only happens when you hit potholes! Just tell the customers not to hit potholes.

It's what you get when your designers don't really "live" in the cars they design. Form dominates and interferes with function.
And on trucks its jus the oposite. Let's have a foot and a half of clearance between top of tire and bottom of fender when suspension travel is only 6 inches in that direction. So what if ground clearance under the axle is 9 inches, make it look like its 19. And it will be good for aftermarket vendors of running boards as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
solsticeman said:
Styling.

Designer Nuggets:

I am normallly all for that, my current car is lowered with very little suspension travel wearing 215/45/17's and I can barely fit my shoe under my front bumper or sideskirts, but it's the right size/weight combo for the car, though it does look a little small now with the my current bodykit. The 18's on the Solstice are overkill and I rather get aftermarket 18's for show and have lighter 17's stock that the car was designed around in the first place.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I am normallly all for that, my current car is lowered with very little suspension travel wearing 215/45/17's and I can barely fit my shoe under my front bumper or sideskirts, but it's the right size/weight combo for the car, though it does look a little small now with the my current bodykit. The 18's on the Solstice are overkill and I rather get aftermarket 18's for show and have lighter 17's stock that the car was designed around in the first place.
I'm hoping but won't know for awhile that the polished wheels will be "lightweight" as are the optional PO4 on Grand Prix GTP (straight out of brochure:10 spoke, lightweight aluminum machine finished) The other aluminum wheels standard and opt do not say anything about lightness.

·
Registered
397 Posts
RSAs are not bad tires, they are poor in the snow. If it is any indication, take a look at the next cop car you see, it will likely have RSAs.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
RSAs are not bad tires, they are poor in the snow. If it is any indication, take a look at the next cop car you see, it will likely have RSAs.
Good thing I don't have to deal with snow then. :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
achieftain said:
I'm hoping but won't know for awhile that the polished wheels will be "lightweight" as are the optional PO4 on Grand Prix GTP (straight out of brochure:10 spoke, lightweight aluminum machine finished) The other aluminum wheels standard and opt do not say anything about lightness.
How much do the PO4's weigh? I'm just curious what "light weight OEM wheels" means to GM. My stock 17's were 23lbs and the Subzero's I have on now are 16lbs each. I'm just figuring the 18's on the Solstice are likely in the 28-32lb range.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Darkhamr said:
How much do the PO4's weigh? I'm just curious what "light weight OEM wheels" means to GM. My stock 17's were 23lbs and the Subzero's I have on now are 16lbs each. I'm just figuring the 18's on the Solstice are likely in the 28-32lb range.
Uggg, that's true. I hadn't thought about how much those suckers weigh.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
You could fill your tires with helium. They would stay inflated, oh, about nine hours, before they went back down to zero pressure.

That would change the net "weight" but not change the inertia or mass (alright - it would change it by less than a gram, not enough that you could actually measure it).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
On a serious note you could have your tires filled with nitrogen. :yesnod: Advantages are less loss of pressure over time, less degrading from ozone injury (oxygen). And you can get a cool sticker that will confuse people into thinking nitrous-filled, not nitrogen filled, and they'll back off their pedals and let you pass. Remember sixth grade science, N is 78% of the air we breath anyway. Consider it clean air.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts