1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after many many years of doing a car by hand,
I finally broke down and bought a machine to help with the task. ( I bought the
kit a couple of weeks ago from the vendor website when they were having
a 'black friday sale' in April. I just happened to stumble across the site after watching detailing videos... )

My first attempt was performed on a white car, not a Solstice. It may
not have been the greatest idea, but I wanted to try out and get used to the machine.

My next attempt is going to have to wait until all of the NJ pollen has dropped. Even in the garage pollen dust can be found...

( Even just doing the hood for maybe 20 minutes, my back hurt... )

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Excellent, I just bought the same pads and did my hood, and yes my back was sore for a few days after, wish I had a lift!!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Bought a PC polisher the year we bought the Solstice and use it frequently. Solstice is polished and detailed each March/April. Pickup is done during the summer months, SUV in the fall before the snow flies.

You'll find once you get the paint in good shape, future polishing is much less work. The Solstice this spring probably took about an hour total.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
To get swirls (car wash scratches) you're going to need something stronger then what you have there as far as polish goes. I found a new product last year...it's a wax stripper. First I wash my car. Then I use this new wax stripper. Wax stripper gets rid of all of the wax and makes it easier to polish the car. Then I wet sand (if needed, which my Solstice hasn't been done in years). Then polish. And now I ceramic coat rather then wax. It's sooooo much easier to take care of over a waxed car. Then when it needs it, a bit of paint protection to give it the wet look throughout the year... But the paint protection only lasts 2 or 3 washes because of the ceramic coating.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well... with all this isolation because of the virus fears, I decided to learn more about this polisher that I bought. Today I washed, clayed, and washed my wife's Toyota Highlander. This car is in the green family. Not olive, not true green, somewhere in-between. ( stock photo )

Tomorrow it is supposed to be rainy in NJ, so I should be able to get the polisher out and work in my garage.
This is a darker color. SO, if I do well with this car, then I can try my deep/blue coupe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try taking the handle off and putting pressure directly on the top of the polisher over the pad. You may find it easier to control the pressure and the polisher itself. Detailing videos make this recommendation.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was really pleased with the results on the Highlander. Scratches came out. It looks good. :)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I bought Adam's Polishes 12mm long-throw polisher. Adam assured me the smallest polisher would be okay for the full car and will be lighter and easier on the back. The first use was to get the swirls out of the wife's Prius. There are no swirls on the Solstice, which was clayed and ceramic coated a few years ago, but there was a slight difference in gloss where a dealer decal had been. Shazam, it is gone.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought Adam's Polishes 12mm long-throw polisher. ...
Well, interesting you should say that...

I just finsihed by blue/deep coupe. But it was an annoying task.
The roof and hood were straight forward to do. I had to go over the area several times, and I still did not get all the marks out. ( I hesitate to call them scratches - they are smooth with the finger nail test. But geez, difficult to get out of a blue car. )
It took me 90 minutes for just those two areas.

The sides and rear were not as easy as I would have expected. All of the curves and slopes - the buffer head would stop spinning with each slight curve... I think my buffer was too big for this job. On the front fender, the area between the arrow head and wheel well was just about the size of the buffer pad...

Oh well. I might have to continue to do the sides and rear of the Solstice by hand...

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
But geez, difficult to get out of a blue car.
My Ohio car is black, If and when I get back I will be tackling it.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I have Griots polishers, and went with them because they are geared toward amateurs detailers who run the risk of burning paint due to inexperience. However, I see Griots has now introduced more powerful polishers this year, and I may have to trade up now that I have more experience using them. But choosing the correct pad, thickness, and polishes is still a challenge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts