Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been thinking of getting one of these for the new car when I get it. Do any of you have any experience with either? I am also considering the purchase of the additional adapter that provides for the flexibility of using it at home or the car. Is one service better than the other? Thoughts?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
From what I understand, you have to pay for a subscription for every receiver you are using. So if you get it in a new car, built in to the stereo, you would have to pay for an additional subscription to use a second receiver in the home or another automobile. However, if you buy the receiver that can be used with home equipment or in a car (with the adapter kit) then you would only need the single subscription. Maybe there is a way around this, but that is how the systems were explained to me. I am looking into getting XM next spring because they will have all the baseball games on it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yellatec said:
I like the newest one that you can carry around with you everywhere like an iPod. You can use it at home, in the car, or as a personal player w/ headphones. Pretty cool.
XM MyFi
I've seen the commericals on that handheld XM...very nice! I'm sure Sirius will be doing same thing soon. I read something along the lines that the handheld will be the future of Sat radio...merging in the iPod functionality to store songs etc.

I'm considering Sirius myself but am waiting a little more for some of this to take shape.

Here's a link:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C1759%2C1683761%2C00.asp

·
Registered
179 Posts
I own a Sirius radio, and I love it! I never listen to CDs or the regular radio anymore. I believe the only deciding factor should be what you want to listen to, the technology is very similar, although I have heard that Sirius satellites are in a higher orbit which provides more reception. Prices are similar, just pay in advance for either service to save a little cash.

I would pick Sirius for newer music, hip hop, dance, etc. XM seems to try to be all things to all listeners, offering more "classic" radio stations, although both offer stations dedicated to any decade for any genre.

When it comes to talk radio, both companies have different affiliations, depending on what cable companies they are associated with, so check that as well for your favorites.

For sports, the dividing line is - do you want baseball or football? Sirius offers every NFL game broadcast, while XM offers every MLB broadcast.

Yes, XM offers the new portable player (but battery life is only 3 hours), and XM seems to offer newer and cooler looking players. But to me that suggests that Sirius has something up there sleeve around the corner to compete against that, so look out for something fresh from Sirius. Im happy with my 1st generation player... that's all I can say about that.

There has been SOME speculation that Sirius may begin to offer television broadcasts via the satellite service, so that future technology seems to be something Sirius has a greater interest in than XM.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
naoki: Are these stand alone units or are they "plug in" into a cars existing radio? Can you elaborate a little on sound quality and ease of use also? I have heard that satellite radio (will sooner or later) will cause the death of radio as we know it now. Not sure if that's true or not, but your not the first person that said they would never go back to regular FM.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I own a plug in unit, the typical ones you see on the commercial. Just about all of them come with built in FM modulation, which may or may not work depending on where you live, due to what FM stations you get on those frequencies. If it doesn't work, you constantly get static, or another station trying to come through, since essential your satellite radio is taking over the signal. It didn't work for me here, so I went behind my stereo and used RCA inputs to get much cleaner sound. I like this setup better than a factory installed satellite radio setup personally, because the "shark fin" antenna is acutally much smaller than the permanent ones, and I have the choice of where it goes, and I personally have mine mounted INSIDE the car, so no unslighty "shark fin" on the outside of MY car! The middle ground between the DIY hookup that I have and a factory installed one would be to buy an aftermarket deck that has Sirius radio or XM built in. I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but it essentially means you can avoid the external tuner while still having the freedom to move your antenna around.

I was correct about what I said before regarding satellite placement, XM has 2 satellites in orbit around the equator, which means the angle your satellite radio recieves at is lower than it is with Sirius - who has 3 satellites in higher orbit around the pole (s), meaning it is easier to recieve a signal. You will lose signal with either player at some times, it sounds kind of like when you stream music on the computer and you have bandwidth problems.

Sound quality in general was evulated side by side on another site. I dont have the link, but what they stated was that XM uses original recordings, while Sirius cleans up classic audio. Now for some reason, the evulation came to the conclusion that XM is the winner here, because supposedly satellite radio is all about hearing music as it was recorded, since that is how it was meant to be heard- hmm...

This evaluation also stated that Sirius sounds louder, and will output bass without distortion much like a CD - while XM is quieter like FM and lacks the bass. However, Sirius exibits something called "sibilance", which is when s's and x's sound kind of tingy. This is more a problem with talk radio, so for Sirius, talk radio sounds kind of like a streaming internet broadcast where you hear an annoying "hiss" when someone pronounces an "s". XM more aptly outputs talk radio, however, I don't think it's a serious problem for Sirius (yeah, that pun is used ALL the time from the DJs on Sirius).

·
Registered
179 Posts
In terms of ease of use, any of the satelliite radio units should include a remote control, with all of the channels it can be a bit dauting to scan the dial from end to end to see whats on. I can only speak for Sirius, which allows you to change category (type of music, news, etc) and then switch channels, making it a bit easier to find what you are looking for. Sirius does, and I imagine XM would, allows you to set a number of preset stations.

Thats about it for control, everything else is handled by your head unit, switching to your satellite radio is as easy as a click of a button for a hardwired connection, changing to the FM station you have set for modulation to work at, or (in my case) switching to the AUX button.

·
Registered
110 Posts
XM radio

I have XM radio in my car. It's pretty cool if you travel because you can get radio through the whole drive. Although make sure they put the antenna on the outside if you drive through mountain areas. Now if you are a big Howard Stern fan you better get Sirius radio because he will be on there in 2 years. :crazy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts