Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting at a light the other night and got "bumped". It wasn't all that hard, in fact it didn't even scuff the paint. I didn't see any damage, and the kid is a teenager from my neighborhood. He was behind me and I was stopped. He basically took his foot off the gas and "bumped" me. I stopped, he came back and together we saw no damage. I opened the trunk that night and didn't have any issue. Now today the right side flap (convertible top thing that flips up when you release the trunk) is sticking and it seems to be pulling the rear of the trunk up when I release it.

Did he do damage that I can't see???? Or are these flaps nortorious for sticking in the cold weather?

EDIT: I might add that it was a Saturn Vue that bumped me....

·
Registered
18 Posts
my little flaps used to stick. I just opened the trunk and sprayed it down with some wd-40 an i haven't had any problems since. as for the back of the trunk. mine sticks up just a little bit. sometimes if you over pack the trunk with sh*# it will pull up the back of the trunk. Its an eye sore if you know its there but it still works right and there aren't any problems. If there was no damage from the "bump" i don't see how that would push up the trunk.

·
Registered
272 Posts
my little flaps used to stick. I just opened the trunk and sprayed it down with some wd-40 an i haven't had any problems since. as for the back of the trunk. mine sticks up just a little bit. sometimes if you over pack the trunk with sh*# it will pull up the back of the trunk. Its an eye sore if you know its there but it still works right and there aren't any problems. If there was no damage from the "bump" i don't see how that would push up the trunk.
what exactly did you spray? im having a problem with the right side flap sticking, i have to hold down the ride side of the trunk then pop it for the trunk to come up

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a kid bump my 2010 Equinox one morning. I hopped out the check out the damage and the kid just sits in his driver's seat. I go back and he rolled down his window and tells me that his ear is hurting. No apology, no "Is there any damage?" Just a, "My ear is hurting me." I must have looked like his daddy or something? I told him he'd better start driving better than what he's doing and that he's lucky I didn't see any damage or I'd call the cops. I wanted to yank him up out of his car and shake him. Instead I got back into my car and headed to work. Totally unbelievable.

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
I was sitting at a light the other night and got "bumped". It wasn't all that hard, in fact it didn't even scuff the paint. I didn't see any damage, and the kid is a teenager from my neighborhood. He was behind me and I was stopped. He basically took his foot off the gas and "bumped" me. I stopped, he came back and together we saw no damage. I opened the trunk that night and didn't have any issue. Now today the right side flap (convertible top thing that flips up when you release the trunk) is sticking and it seems to be pulling the rear of the trunk up when I release it.

Did he do damage that I can't see???? Or are these flaps nortorious for sticking in the cold weather?

EDIT: I might add that it was a Saturn Vue that bumped me....
Are you talking about the buttress or the tulip flap?

·
Registered
18 Posts
what exactly did you spray? im having a problem with the right side flap sticking, i have to hold down the ride side of the trunk then pop it for the trunk to come up
When the flap pops up theres that hole in the trunk where it locks. just spray the wd-40 inside that hole then cycle the truck latch.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep....did all I could to not go grab him out of his car through the window! He actually drove off at first, but then realized we were from the same neighborhood so he came back. I was just getting ready to call the police and report a hit and run to them when I saw him turn into the parking lot. Then I got the, "Oh...did I hit you?" That's when the anger really set in and it was at that point that I had to tell myself that there was no visible damage so I didn't need to go to jail....LOL. I can say if there would have been damage, he would have come out of his car....through the window!! :devil:

I really wonder if it wasn't done on purpose because we complained to his mother this last summer when our A/C went out and he was having a bonfire and the smoke was setting our smoke detectors off at 11:30 at night! His mother wasn't very pleasant to our calling. I explained that it was illegal and would call the police (I know all of our police department!!!) if they didn't put out the bonfire.... So in the back of my mind I'm wondering if it wasn't on purpose....

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you talking about the buttress or the tulip flap?
The flaps that you have to push down into the little holes on the deck lid.... Those are called what???

·
Registered
94 Posts
The wife decided to play monster truck with my car and her mazda 6 leaving for work. The solstice held up better than the mazda.Ive got some scuff marks,and the mazda had the rear bumper mounts broken.
It was completely my fault for parking anywhere near her.
21 years of marriage,and she has hit about every vehicle Ive owned.:cryin:
Just another notch in my list of solstice scars.Gonna get with a body shop and get all the love spots fixed after Christmas :yawn:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a kid bump my 2010 Equinox one morning. I hopped out the check out the damage and the kid just sits in his driver's seat. I go back and he rolled down his window and tells me that his ear is hurting. No apology, no "Is there any damage?" Just a, "My ear is hurting me." I must have looked like his daddy or something? I told him he'd better start driving better than what he's doing and that he's lucky I didn't see any damage or I'd call the cops. I wanted to yank him up out of his car and shake him. Instead I got back into my car and headed to work. Totally unbelievable.
Your a nice guy for cutting the kid some slack.Shoulda at least called his daddy,and let him know his son got an ear ache from running into you.
Kids say some stupid stuff when the heat is on :lol:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your a nice guy for cutting the kid some slack.Shoulda at least called his daddy,and let him know his son got an ear ache from running into you.
Kids say some stupid stuff when the heat is on :lol:
Yeah, I kind of beat myself up later for being too understanding.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I wouldn't recommend spraying lube into the buttress pin mechanism in the trunk lid. Because the underneath is the trunk deck lid liner, and you do not want to spray wd40 onto the back side of the deck lid liner.

I typically just apply a small amount of light weight grease (GM SuperLube or something similar) to the pin and let that work into the catch wire when working the buttress. You really are not going to lube much anyway. The mechanism in the trunk lid is basically just a catch wire. An issue that can/has occurred is failure of one or more guides for the catch wire. And of course the servo that drives the catch wire could fail or come lose, but I don't recall anyone having that failure point yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wouldn't recommend spraying lube into the buttress pin mechanism in the trunk lid. Because the underneath is the trunk deck lid liner, and you do not want to spray wd40 onto the back side of the deck lid liner.

I typically just apply a small amount of light weight grease (GM SuperLube or something similar) to the pin and let that work into the catch wire when working the buttress. You really are not going to lube much anyway. The mechanism in the trunk lid is basically just a catch wire. An issue that can/has occurred is failure of one or more guides for the catch wire. And of course the servo that drives the catch wire could fail or come lose, but I don't recall anyone having that failure point yet.
so just apply with like a cotton swab on the little bar/pin going across in the hole right? the buttress just basically gets stuck, it always happens on the right side,

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
so just apply with like a cotton swab on the little bar/pin going across in the hole right? the buttress just basically gets stuck, it always happens on the right side,
You got it. Or just coat the buttress pin with a little bit of grease on the side that touches the little bar in the deck lid.

Also: The buttress pin is adjustable. It may be out of alignment slightly and therefore getting stuck more easily. When I first got my car, I had one flap that would tend to stick. Upon observation, I noticed that it was actually touching the inside edge of the the chrome grommet covering the mechanism hole in the deck lid. I was able to adjust the pin so it was more centered in the chrome grommet. Problem solved. If I remember correctly, you can loosen the pin where it attaches to the buttress flap and it is designed to slide around a little bit for adjustment; then just tighten it back down. :thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts