Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my car this afternoon and let me just say that this car is awesome. I totally love it. :) :D :cool:

I am embarrased to tell of an experience that I had tonight though. :blush:
I am new to driving a manual transmission, so I really am not skilled at it yet. Still a lot of stalling going on and good stuff like that. I also had an experience that really scared me. I was slowing down for a turn and downshifted from 4th to 2nd. I believe that I hit the gas to try and bring up the RPMs so that they would match, but as soon as I let go of the clutch the whole back end started to skid out and I ended up doing a 180 and thankfully nothing happened to me or the car. It has just started to rain, so the road was just a little wet and it did not have a chance to wash off the oils from the road yet as well. If people could try and answer some of these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

1- Can you try to speculate what I might have done wrong. Too hard or soft on the gas maybe?
2- Is there anything that I can do to avoid this?
3- When skidding in a manual car what are you supposed to do with the clutch?
4- For a newbe what is the easiest way to downshift with out making the car jerk?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I picked up my car this afternoon and let me just say that this car is awesome. I totally love it. :) :D :cool:

I am new to driving a manual transmission, so I really am not skilled at it yet. Still a lot of stalling going on and good stuff like that. I also had an experience that really scared me. I was slowing down for a turn and downshifted from 4th to 2nd. I believe that I hit the gas to try and bring up the RPMs so that they would match, but as soon as I let go of the clutch the whole back end started to skid out and I ended up doing a 180 and thankfully nothing happened to me or the car. It has just started to rain, so the road was just a little wet and it did not have a chance to wash off the oils from the road yet as well. If people could try and answer some of these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

1- Can you try to speculate what I might have done wrong. Too hard or soft on the gas maybe?
4- For a newbe what is the easiest way to downshift with out making the car jerk?

Thanks for any help.

1) TOO MANY rpm's from downshifting from 4th to 2nd. If i were to do that, I would make sure the rpm's were super super low. Thats how ya blow an engine!
2)Dont downshift from a high gear to a low gear. work sequentially.
3) Not sure, never have gotten myself into one of those kinda things :)
4)Golden Rule- Upshift between 2 and 3k RPMS. Downshift between 2 and 3k RPMS. There shouldent be a problem if you follow that.

SOLSTICEDESIRE- Just take your time with it,and dont be embarassed with what happened. Humans always make mistakes and we learn from them. So get out there and have some fun.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well, lets see. You gave gas and down shifted at the same time = no, no! When you down shift you are using the engine to slow down the car, so down shift through each gear 4th to 3rd to 2nd. It takes some practice but it works. I think what happening in your case is that you downshifted too soon from 4th to 2nd and locked the rear end just long enough on a slippery surface to spin it out. Giving it gas made it worse. All I can say is that driving a stick just takes practice. Before long it will be second nature.

·
Registered
576 Posts
First rule - be extra careful after a fresh rain. New people to manual shifting should limit their downshifting until they are more confident. Use the brakes rather than the trans to slow. It is extremely rare when you want to skip a gear either upshifting or downshifting.

Practice your shifting in areas where you have plenty of room and will not irritate other drivers. This will also limit your embarrassment and not make you make hasty decisions.

When stopped at signal lights, shift into neutral and let out the clutch. When the light turns green, depress the clutch, shift into 1st and drive away. This will save you many dollars on clutches.

·
Registered
76 Posts
SolLate said:
When stopped at signal lights, shift into neutral and let out the clutch. When the light turns green, depress the clutch, shift into 1st and drive away. This will save you many dollars on clutches.

Saves money on clutches, but spends them on synchronizers... depending on which is weaker, you may have chosen wisely.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:

Thanks for any help.
Don't go from 4th to 2nd. Go from 4th, to 3rd, to 2nd. That worked on every 5 speed I've ever owned!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad you are enjoyed your car and no need to be embarrassed!
Now I am really worried. Haven't driven a standard since 1986 and even then it was only for a couple years. My car is due any day and will snow soon, I hope it as they say - like riding a bike....I must master this fast since my vehicle will be driven in Eastern Canadian weather which will change to the worse very soon.

My greatest fear is steep hills and bumper to bumper traffic. Any tips for the first couple of days?

·
Registered
404 Posts
im in same position as u ldm, im also in eastern canada (toronto) and i live right downtown so its all bumper to bumper driving. Only difference is ive never driven manual. Ima probably master it on some parkin lot or somthing then start to use it in bumper 2 bumper

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good Lesson

In flying, you practice stalling the plane out (at a safe, recoverable altitude, of course) so you'll know what it feels like just before it stalls. You got a good lesson on what it feels like to have her swap ends on you and got the lesson for "free" - no harm, no ding. The shifting will become second nature before you know it, but now you know what many will have to learn the really hard way.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
dylan01 said:
1) TOO MANY rpm's from downshifting from 4th to 2nd. If i were to do that, I would make sure the rpm's were super super low. Thats how ya blow an engine!
2)Dont downshift from a high gear to a low gear. work sequentially.
3) Not sure, never have gotten myself into one of those kinda things :)
4)Golden Rule- Upshift between 2 and 3k RPMS. Downshift between 2 and 3k RPMS. There shouldent be a problem if you follow that.
:agree:

Keep RPMs low while learning, shift in either direction in the 2-3k zone.

Clutch out slowly, gas on slowly.

You'll learn to match the speed to the right gear by feel. If you get lost 20mph = 2nd, 30mph = 3rd, 40mph = 4th is usually close I think.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Don't skip-shift up or down. And when in trouble if you are not prepared to power out of it you can always depress the clutch, but keep ft off brake until skid is done. When slowing to a stop you do not need to downshift through each gear, just depress clutch and brake to a stop. Then downshift to 1 for your takeoff.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
dylan01 said:
Gee, dylan01, I have a BIG problem with that. :)

The fun is in winding it up close to redline before you shift. True, you don't want to do that all the time, but in my case it goes to 4K or 5K pretty darn often.

GREAT post, KLECKO. Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on a dry road, if you come up to a large sweeper, it's cool to downshift from 5th to 3rd and punch the gas to power through the curve, depending on how sharp it is, of course. Is that reckless?

·
Registered
763 Posts
probably didnt fully match the revs, and were carrying too much speed so a rough shift gave just enough skid to get you spinning on a newly wet road. take it easy on that new car.

·
Registered
905 Posts
SolLate said:
It is extremely rare when you want to skip a gear either upshifting or downshifting.
I find I skip from 3rd to 5th frequently in my Sunfire, get up to around 60mph in 3rd and then shift into 5th.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Look in your owner's manual. It should have maximum speed in gears. Dropping from 5th (over drive) to 3rd is a great way to pass when going around 45-55. But dropping from 4th to 2nd is not that great an idea unless you were making a right turn at an intersection and had first used the brakes to slow down to less than 20mph max.

What happened was one of two things: Either the revs were too low and the transmission and engine acted the same as if you had thrown on the emergency brake and caused the rear wheels to suddenly slow down.
or.....
The revs were too high and suddenly caused the rear wheels to accelerate and spin.
Either way, pushing in the clutch, in this particular case, would have been a good idea if done early on. But the sudden regaining of traction might have caused you to dart off in a whole new direction.

But MCEB's right. Use that easy to remember rule when learning to drive a stick. First in the teens, second in the twenties, third in the thirties, etc.

And have fun!!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.