Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 long months of anticipation, my new Smoothline hardtop arrived this week. I was looking for a top which had a bit more room in it behind the seats so that one could fit a rollbar with rearward bracing under it. I think this will fit the bill.

The top itself is very nicely put together and looks nice. I asked them to build it lighter than usual and it is maybe 15 pounds. The only downside is that the fitment is quite gappy - in the rain, water WILL come into the cabin. Since this is a track car, I'm not too worried about it, but I would be aware of this if you are looking to have a hardtop permanently replace your soft top. You could be in the odd position of having to remove the hardtop to drive in the rain!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Looks great. Is that the Haartz Vinyl one? I had one that I loved on the roadster. When I added the Coupe to the family I decided to sell it to a Forum member. I am surprised to hear about the leaks. I had no issue with mine. The only thing I was careful about was when I washed the Sol I would not spray directly on the back window so water would not pool on the trunk lid. I drove through some major rain storms and had no leaks. When my top was ready I drove down to the factory to pick it up ( Haartz Vinyl so she was ready to go). They did the weather strip fitting and adjustments there on my Sol so maybe that is why she fit so well. Anyway, enjoy and looks great.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
These are NEW tops? Thought that they had stopped making these years ago.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
These are NEW tops? Thought that they had stopped making these years ago.
AFAIK they are still making them, when they have an order, and paid up front before shipping. I don't think they have ever had them "in stock". Each one is custom made.

But what do I know. Does anyone have different opinion/facts?

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
AFAIK they are still making them, when they have an order, and paid up front before shipping. I don't think the have ever had then "in stock". Each one is custom made.

But what do I know. Does anyone have different opinion/facts?

:dunno:

You are correct. Usually takes 6 months to get one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you put the seals on?
I sure did! The only issue was that I got two driver's side seals, not one driver and one passenger, so the front of the passenger seal has a big ol' gap. I just stuck 'em on, because as I said I don't care one bit about having a sealed cabin. The track is windows-open after all!

I am guessing if I had the car at the factory they could get it to fit perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Well that makes sense. When you said it was leaking that caused alarm bells to go off because others have had no issues or only small issues with leaking that they got fixed. Yours sounded unusual and evidently it is. Cheers

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Mine leaks, but I don't drive the car in the winter or when it rains. I also have wind noise around the windows which could be alleviated if I adjusted the side windows to fit the hardtop better, but then you'd have to readjust them when going back to the convertible top. No thanks. When washing I'll spray the top, but avoid the windows and seals, including the rear hump area but water still manages to gets under the rear seal.

I think the top itself is made well, so it may be more about taking the time to adjust it correctly. Though the front and rear turnbolts are twisted about as tight as I can turn them. I also condition the seals when the top is removed which I do about one a year to check on the trunk area. Otherwise the top is on all the time because I like the look of it, and fell in love with the 2006 SEMA Weekend Racer concept.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine leaks, but I don't drive the car in the winter or when it rains. I also have wind noise around the windows which could be alleviated if I adjusted the side windows to fit the hardtop better, but then you'd have to readjust them when going back to the convertible top. No thanks. When washing I'll spray the top, but avoid the windows and seals, including the rear hump area but water still manages to gets under the rear seal.

I think the top itself is made well, so it may be more about taking the time to adjust it correctly. Though the front and rear turnbolts are twisted about as tight as I can turn them. I also condition the seals when the top is removed which I do about one a year to check on the trunk area. Otherwise the top is on all the time because I like the look of it, and fell in love with the 2006 SEMA Weekend Racer concept.
I just got back from the rollcage fabricators, and the hardtop is going to fit perfectly, and permanently, because they are going to weld it to the A pillar and bolt the rear to the rollbar!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Chiffonte...

For that five month wait did Jack (the supposed owner of Smoothline) keep telling you three more weeks three more weeks? What did you have to wind up saying to get him to understand he needed to get the top to you?!

I purchased mine in July and he has kept telling me "later" "later" etc. I feel almost as if he's going to take my money and run! Luckily, I've only paid him half ($1195) and keep telling him I will only pay him the rest when he says it's done and shipping. I don't want to throw good money after bad....

He's now told me it will "ship Nov. 30th" but refuses to put that into email because he says that "customer service costs extra." I kid you not. His words!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm curious.

You need to have a hard top in order to track you Solstice?

Or so you can have rear bars on the rollbar?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Chiffonte...

For that five month wait did Jack (the supposed owner of Smoothline) keep telling you three more weeks three more weeks? What did you have to wind up saying to get him to understand he needed to get the top to you?!

I purchased mine in July and he has kept telling me "later" "later" etc. I feel almost as if he's going to take my money and run! Luckily, I've only paid him half ($1195) and keep telling him I will only pay him the rest when he says it's done and shipping. I don't want to throw good money after bad....

He's now told me it will "ship Nov. 30th" but refuses to put that into email because he says that "customer service costs extra." I kid you not. His words!
I bought mine several years ago, but I think it took around four months to receive. I think I order it around Jan/Feb in order to get it by spring. But there was a snafu. They shipped the wrong top to me. Luckily the freight driver advised me to check it out before he left. Come to find out SL had shipped two tops on the same day, and an employee slapped the wrong shipping labels on the boxes. Called SL and they acknowledge the mistake and I had the correct top within two weeks.

It sounds like you've been patient, but I'd be hesitant to give them too much grieve because I'd be thinking my attitude may affect the quality of the product. I'd say if you don't receive it on time this time that you consider canceling the order. The problem is there's no alternatives.

It's very hard for me to pay someone several hundred or thousands of dollars up front and HOPE they keep their word. Unfortunately, it's posts like this that makes it harder for me to want to trust small business's. I'd much rather order if I knew the product was already in stock. But I know that's small business may not have the money to keep one of everything they make in stock, so I don't know what the answer is.

·
Registered
612 Posts
After 5 long months of anticipation, my new Smoothline hardtop arrived this week. I was looking for a top which had a bit more room in it behind the seats so that one could fit a rollbar with rearward bracing under it. I think this will fit the bill.

The top itself is very nicely put together and looks nice. I asked them to build it lighter than usual and it is maybe 15 pounds. The only downside is that the fitment is quite gappy - in the rain, water WILL come into the cabin. Since this is a track car, I'm not too worried about it, but I would be aware of this if you are looking to have a hardtop permanently replace your soft top. You could be in the odd position of having to remove the hardtop to drive in the rain!
The smoothline always looks good on the Solstice, fit the car's contour nicely. Not so much on the Sky though.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts